New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Long lens switches: asking Canon for a small favour

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Long lens switches: asking Canon for a small favour

For long lenses to be introduced in the future such as 800 DO, or 200 f/2 IS MkII, can you please relocate the focusing distance limiter switch from its present the least visible/accessible location on the barrel of all MkII and later generation long lenses, to another spot with better visibility and operability IN LENS USE.

I obviously can't speak for all long lens owners, however, I check its position and operate the focusing limiter switch most often. In fact the other lens switches I hardly touch once I had them set, thus I do not care where on the barrel they might be placed.

Thank you.

Petkal aka the Supertelephotomaster

Current lens switch location standard

Nov 06, 2015 at 09:38 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Long lens switches: asking Canon for a small favour

... It would seem a logical move to swap the Stabilizer group and the Focus Limiter group ... The AF/PF/MF group and the Stabilizer group will have most likely been set and would remain in the selected positions. This would allow more convenient access while shooting ...

Also, IMHO ... the Focus Limiter switches on lenses of more than 600mm should be labeled 100m ... 1/2 Km ... 1Km, more fitting, especially when using a 1.4x or 2x extenders ...

Jefferson ....

Nov 06, 2015 at 10:13 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Long lens switches: asking Canon for a small favour

Some people apparently like to tweak their IS mode here and there. I do not.

Nov 06, 2015 at 10:20 AM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Long lens switches: asking Canon for a small favour

I have to agree, the focus limiter is in a lousy location. Mine was accidentally bumped to the lower range several times preventing infinity focus. Most likely due to how I handle the lens but still frustrating in the field.

Nov 06, 2015 at 10:58 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Long lens switches: asking Canon for a small favour

Gaffer's tape...

EBH

Nov 06, 2015 at 12:31 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Long lens switches: asking Canon for a small favour

The tape may stop inadvertent operation of the switch. However, the tape will not improve the switch position visibility and its purposeful operation.

Nov 06, 2015 at 12:38 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Long lens switches: asking Canon for a small favour

While I agree with the switches being in a better location, you have more hands on experience than most other posters with long lenses here and expect you will provide many wonderful photos for us.
I doubt Canon will oblige, but who knows?

Nov 06, 2015 at 05:24 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Long lens switches: asking Canon for a small favour

While I do agree with the Supertelephotomaster's grievances and solutions, if the 600DO prototype is any indication we won't be seeing any changes next time around.

Nov 06, 2015 at 06:04 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Long lens switches: asking Canon for a small favour

Tapeman wrote:
While I agree with the switches being in a better location, you have more hands on experience than most other posters with long lenses here and expect you will provide many wonderful photos for us.
I doubt Canon will oblige, but who knows?

Thank you, Tapeman.
I thought that in the MkI long lenses the focusing distance limiter switch was in an appropriate location on the barrel. That also goes for 800L. Then, starting with 200 f/2 IS and onward, Canon rearranged the lens switch panel(s).

In doing so, I am not sure if they had fully appreciated the necessity of switching the limiter back and forth in a dynamic kind of a shooting scenario where targets change their distance and/or their movement type, from slow (such as swimming) to fast (such as flight) and v.v..

Who knows, perhaps someone from Canon will make a note of this issue, because they do scan various major Canon photography forums.

Nov 06, 2015 at 06:07 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Long lens switches: asking Canon for a small favour

arbitrage wrote:
While I do agree with the Supertelephotomaster's grievances and solutions, if the 600DO prototype is any indication we won't be seeing any changes next time around.

Yeah, I saw that jackleg 600 DO "model" with its red ring, and sure enough, the switch panel layout follows the new MkII standard. I wonder if they've just decided to drop the green ring in favour of the red ring for DO lenses ? Either way, that ring colour should be of no practical consequence.

Nov 06, 2015 at 06:16 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Long lens switches: asking Canon for a small favour

How about a iphone or Android App to control all those settings, and 1000 different presets.

I know that things like that seem to escape stogy companies like Canon, but I have 70 years in my rear view mirror and do just fine with new tech.

Nov 08, 2015 at 07:06 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Long lens switches: asking Canon for a small favour

The distance limiter location is horrible, but may be difficult to relocate to a better position. However including a dove tail on the foot, to eliminate additional lens plate is simple, but not for Canon it seems. The superteles should also come with a front lens cup in addition to the supplied soft hood.
I hope Canon will update the 300/4 lens first with DO technology and compatible DO TCs, a high volume sellers, instead of exotics such as 800, 600 mm pipes.

Nov 09, 2015 at 08:18 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Long lens switches: asking Canon for a small favour

At the very worst, if Canon doesn't heed this, the Darwinian theory will ensure that future generations of Supertelephotomasters will sprout a secondary left thumb that will precisely engage the distance limiter switch. Then all will be good.

Db

Nov 09, 2015 at 07:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.