New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · New lens really tight to install

andydeGroot

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New lens really tight to install

Just purchased a 50mm STM lens. Couldn't wait to try it out, only to find that it is difficult to install on my 1D. I also have a 24-105 and it is smooth as butter when spinning onto the mount. (Same for 100-400). I plan on returning the lens, not sure if I'll ask for a replacement.

Have others found this when they purchased this lens? (wondering if this is unusual or if it happens more often due to the cost factor. paid $105 new)

Nov 05, 2015 at 07:31 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New lens really tight to install

Its a tolerance buildup or even a error. Occasionally someone sees a tight or loose mount, the replacement has almost always been fine.

Nov 05, 2015 at 11:15 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New lens really tight to install

I have often found weathersealed lenses tight to mount but I have the 50mm STM and don't have the issue. It might be an idea to exchange it.

Nov 06, 2015 at 06:03 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New lens really tight to install

Just exchange it. Mine is great.

Nov 06, 2015 at 07:19 AM
Cheatdeath

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New lens really tight to install

I found my 50 STM to be tight, but not difficult or feeling like it needs to be forced. I like a tight fitting lens mount, sounds like yours might be too tight.

Nov 06, 2015 at 09:15 PM
andydeGroot

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New lens really tight to install

I did exchange it for another one, much better feel and easier to install and remove. Images are very nice so far.

Nov 09, 2015 at 10:09 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New lens really tight to install

I had 50mm 1.4 USM in the past. It is so tight that it leaves a mark on my 5D3 mounting. I sold it to someone else since his camera body works fine and smooth with that lens. Forgot to mentioned that all my other lens including 85mm 1.8 USM are mounted smoothly on that 5D3.

Too bad that my 50mm 1.4 USM is beyond the time to exchange. It works great with my 7D in the past.

So, exchange it while you can.

-Tam

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.