Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Rules & Guidelines | Uninsured Payment Alert!
How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

NEVER use Paypal Gift, Venmo, Zelle, Apple Pay, Google Pay or any other uninsured payment!

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

eggcellent
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

Nikon 70-200 VR II F2.8

Price: $1.00
Payment method: PayPal
Item condition: 10 Preowned equipment, but appears as new

I am sorry to post in wrong section but this is urgent issue with buyer. I need immediately help from FM member on B&S board.

I sold Nikon 70-200 VR II to FM member here. Item comes with all accessories, warranty card, invoice, paperwork, and lens is like new. Lens is still under warranty and no issues with it. He offered paypal gift to me and asking lower the price. I agreed with his offer. After receiving item, buyer complained that the box is mismatch serial number so he asked to return item back. The problem is he wants me to refund full money back before shipping item back to me. Due to mismatch serial number on the box, i am at fault that i should refund money back to his Paypal account before return item back to me. He claimed that my lens is useless without correct serial number box even I told him that lens is still under warranty. He insisted that I should do whatever it takes to correct my mistakes by refund money back to his account before receiving item back. I have zero protection and no guarantee that buyer will return item back to me when i refunded money back.

What should I do in this case?

Nov 05, 2015 at 04:40 PM
NikonGuyIsHere
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

Do NOT refund item until you get lens back.

Also, box serial has no relevance on whether a lens is under warranty or not. Many people throw away their boxes right after purchase.

Nov 05, 2015 at 04:41 PM
VTXT
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

I agree. Do not refund the money. Maybe you can give him a little discount and settle .

Nov 05, 2015 at 04:44 PM
zone333
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

"Correct number on the box." WOW! Nikon USA really has done a good job putting fear into people when it comes to buying used gear. You need a receipt and the warranty card for warranty service. For non warranty service you don't need anything.

Nov 05, 2015 at 04:45 PM
chrisdupe
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

First don't do gift payment unless it is with someone that you are absolutely confident that you won't have any issues with!

Personally I would not refund the money until I received my lens back. But if that is not an option in your case maybe you return the money in the form of a payment and eat the fees? Not sure if that would work or not but it could offer you some protection?

Nov 05, 2015 at 04:46 PM
voodoo1694
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

With this $ amount, I would never refund first unless I really knew the person.

Nov 05, 2015 at 04:46 PM
eggcellent
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

VTXT wrote:
I agree. Do not refund the money. Maybe you can give him a little discount and settle .

I am very happy to give him discount $100. He told me that the box without correct serial number is useless because he moves a lot of item on FM. After i admitted my fault and offer full refund as he requested, he constantly want me to refund money before return item back seller.

Nov 05, 2015 at 04:48 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

Even e-bay doesn't require a refund until the returned item is received back and inspected. I'd personally consider refunding once the item has been safely returned. Given the rather flimsy reason for wanting a refund, I'd have the buyer pay for return shipping...with tracking and insurance.

Nov 05, 2015 at 04:48 PM
eggcellent
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

This is my first transaction with him on FM. He has very high feedback on FM so i am okay with Paypal gift.

It's not bad ideas that i returned item in form of payment and eat the fees. I will try to talk to him about it.

Thank you for many good advices.

Nov 05, 2015 at 04:50 PM
kalex
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

DO NOT REFUND until you have the lens in your possesion. Once it comes in, check to make sure its yours, no damage, etc then refund the payment.

Nov 05, 2015 at 04:54 PM
photoelectric
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

Do you think there is a chance he is correct and there is a mismatch? Although even if yes, the described behavior of this person makes me think he might be up to no good to start with. It sounds like scammer behavior, unfortunately... Especially if he has no other feedback that he's provided to you. How can the lens be no good if it's working fine? It is always good to use PayPal's Goods payment system, as PayPal will offer protection for you and the buyer. Now the buyer can do a charge-back with his bank / credit card, and I'm not sure PayPal will help you if that happens, since the transaction was a Gift transaction.

I would insist on asking this person for a photograph of the box and the camera with their serial numbers next to each other and also his name noted somewhere on a piece of paper present in the same photograph--and the current date. Ask for that and say that he needs to ship the lens to you first and provide you with a tracking number. Keep all the records of your communication and see about calling PayPal customer service preemptively to describe the situation.

Edited on Nov 05, 2015 at 04:58 PM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2015 at 04:56 PM
WT21
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

Don't do gift. Don't do it. Sorry. It just needs to be repeated. Don't do gift for big ticket items.

If he "does a lot on FM" and he has a really, really solid reps (say, 100+ trades with positive and no negative, and the references look OK when you read them), then I would be a little more relaxed in dealing with him. Anything less than that, and I would be very, very cautious.

Another way to look at it -- if he (not you) offered gift, then that's his issue. He needs to refund first, and if he doesn't trust you, then he shouldn't have done gift.

Last thought -- I would be careful on the discount if he has limited or no feedback. He could be working a different scam -- discount for gift, and then discount for complaining. Did he show you proof of the serial numbers? Is it possible (in your thinking) that this could be true? Did you record the serial number for your records? Did you buy this lens used, and never checked the box and lens yourself? Check your gear before sending! If he has a lot of stock, he could send you a picture (or return a lens to you) from any old lens.

Another thought -- if you bought a lens in a store, would you be able to get your money back before you return the item? No.

First question , though, is -- what is his feedback profile?

Edited on Nov 05, 2015 at 04:59 PM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2015 at 04:57 PM
eggcellent
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

WT21 wrote:
Don't do gift. Don't do it. Sorry. It just needs to be repeated. Don't do gift for big ticket items.

If he "does a lot on FM" and he has a really, really solid reps (say, 100+ trades with positive and no negative, and the references look OK when you read them), then I would be a little more relaxed in dealing with him. Anything less than that, and I would be very, very cautious.

Another way to look at it -- if he (not you) offered gift, then that's his issue. He needs to refund first, and if he doesn't
...Show more

He has over 100 positive feedback on FM B&S board. Due to his feedback on FM, I don't see any problems with accept his form of payment "Paypal Gift". I do have pictures of my lens with serial number on Nikon warranty paper (USA models). I did not take picture of the box so I do not know what outside the box.

Nov 05, 2015 at 05:05 PM
montedc
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

you have his money; he, your lens. therefire, your conservative solution (wait for return) or just accept a bad feedback. plenty of strong members with tiny blemish.

Nov 05, 2015 at 05:12 PM
Jonathan
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

Even if the buyer used regular PayPal they wouldn't ask you to refund to money until the lens was returned. Can't understand why the buyer won't return the item first.

I'd never issue a refund that large until I got the lens back and made sure it was the same one. Something odd here.

Nov 05, 2015 at 05:15 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

I agree. If the person was comfortable enough PP gifting you the money for the lens before they got it, wouldn't the buyer also be comfortable enough sending the lens before you refunded the money?

At most I would offer to prepaid the return shipping. In fact, just to avoid any incentives to do this for any money, I wouldn't PP the shipping money. I would buy a packing ship for the person so there's no benefit unless the lens comes back to you.

Nov 05, 2015 at 05:17 PM
richardman

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

If he is legit, then ask him to post a reply to this post with the photo of the box and lens and disclose who he is. No one can vouch for anyone online, but they should show that they have nothing to hide.

Nov 05, 2015 at 05:19 PM
ilikeglass
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

Would Paypal reverse the gift transaction - take money from the seller and give to buyer?

Both buyer and seller misused the gift option so I doubt any further action by Paypal.

Nov 05, 2015 at 05:20 PM
Tyr-Sog
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

The serial number is just a sticker on the box right? Offer him $5 for his time and have him steam it off. None the wiser.....

Nov 05, 2015 at 05:25 PM
Pepe Guitarra
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Urgent! Issues with buyer. Asking to refund before shipping item back.

One of the problems of paying with GIFT Paypal is that the buyer has no recourse. You can do nothing and Paypal will do nothing against you. In fact, if the buyer says that he offer and you accepted GIFT to avoid the fee, Paypal may cancel your accounts. Miss match serial number on box and on lens is very serious offense for many anal retentive collectors. Photos of the items and explanation of that could have prevented the issue. You can choose to accept the return and eat the shipping or deduct the shipping, but the buyer has no recourse against you. You have the upper hand, and this be a lesson for those who offer FREEE MONEY as a GIFT. Paypal records does not show a transaction, but a gift.

Nov 05, 2015 at 05:26 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.