Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Advice on Swim Meet shoot

Blackwater

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice on Swim Meet shoot

I've been invited to shoot a DII swim meet this Saturday evening at 6pm. I've never shot a swim meet and I'm looking for tips and suggestions on the shots I need to focus on. I'll be shooting with my 1D MK IV and 70-200 2.8

Nov 05, 2015 at 02:11 PM
Game Changer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice on Swim Meet shoot

Shoot at the non starting block end of the pool and get down real real low for the fly and breast strokes. A 70-200mm 2.8 works perfect. For backstroke, get the swimmer just as he/she pushes off the wall where you are standing and get them coming to the surface and the first few strokes. Freestyle is mostly limited to the side POV and you try for the face towards you (of course) and with the arm/hand in the forward position of the stroke (above water).

Make sure you get the swimmer's reaction at the end of the race...looking at the clock or board, hi-fives with teammates on relays, etc.

Nov 05, 2015 at 03:25 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice on Swim Meet shoot

Like Game Changer said, reactions are a big part. Before the meet starts get there early and just let the gear sit in the bag for about 10 mis before you bering it out. If you pull it out right as you get there sometimes it can fog up from the different atmosphere of swimming pools. Also pictures of surface tension could be cool, but the problem with that is that you don't really get a good recognizable face. Actually that's the biggest problem with the sport in general. Don't be afraid to capture pictures of the swimmers outside of the pool. Emotion with teammates makes for good pictures.

Nov 05, 2015 at 05:47 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice on Swim Meet shoot

Flash is generally not allowed, JFYI. Also, if it's a smaller, indoor venue, I'd wear earplugs. Swim teams are an enthusiastic (loud) bunch. Also, I wear knee pads and shorts for indoors.

Chris

Nov 05, 2015 at 09:50 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice on Swim Meet shoot

here is a thread from a few weeks back, it has some links to past threads regarding swimming, etc https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1387591/0#13208342

1 thing I can never get use to when shooting swimming is how hectic/unorganized everything seems to be even a well run meet will seem like this.

dont be afraid to get wet, if allowed get right up next to the blocks, get the swimmers on the turn, take long glass and shoot down the lane of the start etc

Andy

Nov 06, 2015 at 12:42 AM
jeffslov

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice on Swim Meet shoot

In addition to shooting from the end of the pool, you can get some nice profiles during the breaststroke events by shooting from the side of the pool. Need to make sure you stay out of the way of the officials though.

I usually keep an ultra-wide lens in my bag. At some point during the meet, usually during back or free events, I'll run up to the top of the bleachers to get a shot of the entire venue. Also, shooting down from the bleachers for backstroke is an option.

Expect to get wet.

Some venues may not allow "street shoes" on the pool deck. Wouldn't hurt to throw a pair of flip-flops/sandals/water shoes in your bag.

Nov 06, 2015 at 06:57 AM
MikalWGrass
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice on Swim Meet shoot

Jeff, how did the shoot go? Which schools? How did you handle the color balance? I shoot a lot of swimming in the outdoor Florida sunshine, which has its own issues, so I am interesting to know how you handled the nasty lighting.

Can you post a few shots?

Nov 08, 2015 at 08:41 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.