New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · C&C please

rongwam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · C&C please

I have been working on this image for a few days. The moment I thought I was done, I started seeing things that I wanted to edit. Like I always say, it never ends. This image is a blending of 2 exposures. I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions on what you think would make this image better from your views. Thanks.

Nov 05, 2015 at 12:02 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · C&C please

Two things jump out at me, one is a sharpening halo, best seen where the right side rock juts into the sky. The second is a broader halo around the left trees, probably a blend or shadow highlight sort of thing.

This is what I consider a muted image with the blurred water and cloud style. As such it seems well done other than the nits I pointed out. The sharpening halos could weel be from web prep, the broad halo is probably there in the full size.

Nov 05, 2015 at 12:19 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · C&C please

+1 to Ben's comments.

Very nice image overall. I maybe find the bright sky a little too bright. The warm color provided by the sun is good but it draws my eye away from the rest of the image.

Nov 05, 2015 at 12:23 PM
rongwam
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · C&C please

ben egbert wrote:
Two things jump out at me, one is a sharpening halo, best seen where the right side rock juts into the sky. The second is a broader halo around the left trees, probably a blend or shadow highlight sort of thing.

This is what I consider a muted image with the blurred water and cloud style. As such it seems well done other than the nits I pointed out. The sharpening halos could weel be from web prep, the broad halo is probably there in the full size.

Thanks Ben for your comments. You are right about the broad halo. It is there in my high resolution file, and definitely from the blending that I did. The sharp halo on the right rock is not there in my high res file, it is probably due to web compression and small file size.

Nov 05, 2015 at 12:37 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · C&C please

+1 @ Ben's comments. My only other nit is the odd light colored clouds. One on the extreme right side and the other just in from that. All the other clouds have a nice horizontal motion blur softness to them but these two spots/clouds seem out of place for some reason. The inner one almost looks to have a sharp right edge to it. It's probably a natural thing but I think this might be where a little creative editing could easily lessen the effect.

Love your comp and how you used the rocks for a nice strong leading lines into the frame.

Nice shot!

Dave

Nov 05, 2015 at 03:00 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · C&C please

In addition to the artifacts, the image appears way too bright. This is an image with the sun setting (or rising) behind a bluff. To look realistic there should be dark shadows and more contrast. I dropped the brightness, added contrast and did a bit of dodging. The additional processing made the artifacts even worse but at least this indicates the direction I would take this.

Nov 05, 2015 at 04:24 PM
rongwam
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · C&C please

lighthound wrote:
+1 @ Ben's comments. My only other nit is the odd light colored clouds. One on the extreme right side and the other just in from that. All the other clouds have a nice horizontal motion blur softness to them but these two spots/clouds seem out of place for some reason. The inner one almost looks to have a sharp right edge to it. It's probably a natural thing but I think this might be where a little creative editing could easily lessen the effect.

Love your comp and how you used the rocks for a nice strong leading lines
...Show more

Thanks Dave for your keen observation and suggestion!

Nov 05, 2015 at 08:16 PM
rongwam
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · C&C please

@Camperjim: Thanks for your visual feedback. I agree that the image appears little too bright. It could be due to my monitor, but your version looks too dark on it. Will go for the middle brightness.

Nov 05, 2015 at 08:19 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.