New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

plnelson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

I currently have the 300mm f.4 ED IF. It's an excellent lens and I'm very happy with it but I often shoot birds and animals and they tend to be out at the beginning and end of the day when light is poor and a few extra stops would come in handy. The f/2.8 not only gets me the extra stop but the VR would buy me another EV or two, especially handheld.

But I don't need two 300mm lenses. So what's the best way to get rid of the f/4 and get the 2.8 VR? How easy would it be to sell the f/4? Are there dealers who would consider a trade-in, and is that worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 04, 2015 at 08:42 PM
ariel777
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

The "best way" is to post it for sale on the B/S board at a competitive price. Also, list it on your local Craigslist and meet a prospective buyer at a public place such as a Starbucks. Dealers might be interested but you would get a better deal with a retail sale of your own. Many of us do this all the time.

Nov 04, 2015 at 08:53 PM
plnelson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

I don't live in a high population density area so the odds of me and a prospective buyer being within a short drive of each other are pretty remote.

Since I've never sold anything over the internet I have no feel for how much work and time is involved in finding buyers, vetting them, setting up the appropriate accounts, through some third party (eBay, PayPal, etc?). Time is money so getting a slightly better deal may not be worth it if is takes hours of work on my part, but getting a much better deal would be.

Also why should anyone trust me or I trust someone else in an internet sale? When I buy things over the internet it's generally from a large well-establish company like Amazon or B+H, so I don't "get" how person-to-person transactions even work.

Nov 04, 2015 at 09:55 PM
chip_master
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

There is always the questions of price and supply demand. I've bought a few pricey things on eBay and see first time sellers with bidders, of course eBay between the fees and paypal is the worst value option, but likely quickest way to get something sold.

The BS board here is a good place with less overhead. Depending on mood for a pricey item you can find friendly folks to snarky remarks. No question if you are a first time poster and no eBay it will be a tough sell, got to then consider price.. at a low enough price someone always takes a bite...

There is as the other poster mentioned CL but again if you don't live in a big market that can be a futile exercise.

At some price there will be a risk taker, GLWS

Nov 04, 2015 at 10:16 PM
tobycat2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

The good news is that you have a lot of posts and are a long time member. As chip_master said, someone will always bite at a low enough price. I know I'd make an offer at a low enough reasonable price. Using PayPal does offer the buyer some protection so be sure to use that on the buy/sell forum here. You could also sell on Amazon but they do have around 8% fees -- I've had good luck there when things don't sel here.

Nov 04, 2015 at 11:13 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

plnelson wrote:
Also why should anyone trust me or I trust someone else in an internet sale? When I buy things over the internet it's generally from a large well-establish company like Amazon or B+H, so I don't "get" how person-to-person transactions even work.

In the past year I've bought at least $8K worth of used photo gear, some from the buy/sell board here. Never had a problem. I've also sold a few things on both ebay and here, and again no problem. Just use common sense--don't send stuff to Nigeria. I've bought historical lenses (mostly 19th century) from all over the world and sold a few too--no problems. Ebay has some safe guards, and here people seem to be part of a community and try to protect their reputations by dealing fairly. If you sell to a dealer, you will get half the value.

Kent in SD

Nov 04, 2015 at 11:18 PM
ariel777
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

Why are you fighting it? Just check out the B-S board and you will see that people do buy from one another in this community. Just do it.

Nov 05, 2015 at 12:45 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

I sold exactly that lens on Amazon - you set up a seller account. I agree that you should sell it here tho - it gives you the most $$ return and you've been here for some time.

KEH is the fastest but you will get ver little for your lens.

Nov 05, 2015 at 01:22 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

plnelson wrote:

It's not 1998 anymore. Paypal buyer protection exists and we have the FM feedback system. Besides, it's only money. Go out and make more.

Nov 05, 2015 at 02:00 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

You seem to have made all the decisions already regarding not being able to sell anything.

You don't have any profile filled out, no one knows who you are, or where you live.

You have convinced yourself that "what's the use" no one lives near you.

"It's a lot of work." Yes and no. You get paid for that work, that's the sliding scale difference in cash received between just trading it in at the dealer, or selling yourself.

Your current 300mm isn't a deal breaker anyway. Just get the other lens, figure what to do with this one later.

You are reminding me of a friend in Denver, he wants to sell his Harley, but doesn't want to show it to people or place an ad. So, it just depreciates in the garage every year.

Nov 05, 2015 at 07:15 AM
lorac
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

You're at a disadvantage with a high ticket item since you've never sold anywhere, people will question trusting you. It's not a deal breaker, but you will have to sell a little lower than someone who has a lot of "feedback" and has proven trustworthiness. I STRONGLY suggest whether you try and sell on the FM buy/sell board for which you'll have to pay to join, or on Ebay which you may get a higher price even with selling fees, ( about 12-13%), take several quality pictures of the lens from all angles. That gives confidence to those considering doing a deal with you that you actually have the lens and what condition it's in. Good luck.

Nov 05, 2015 at 01:14 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

You can also look on Amazon I think they have a trade in or trade up on there. You're better off selling on here or Craigslist. There's a few guys from here that show up on my local craigslist with their kit. I'd avoid selling on eBay they take a bit too much off with the fees

Nov 05, 2015 at 05:56 PM
phoenix2

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

As someone who just made their first purchase here, I can tell you it was very easy and I didn't have any problems. It helped I worked with an outstanding FM member.

Nov 05, 2015 at 07:02 PM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

Depending on your needs and desires, a newer body may give you the cleaner ISO to gain maybe two stops and get the same clean files as you are getting now if you have older bodies. A newer higher MP body may also give you more reach with the ability to crop a little.

Nov 06, 2015 at 12:08 PM
plnelson
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

How does the protection on PayPal work?

Nov 07, 2015 at 06:06 PM
plnelson
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

But whether I sell here or Craigslist, I still don't understand how the trust issue works on the internet. It still comes down to two strangers who aren't meeting face-to-face being confident that one will get the product as advertised and the other will get the money. What are the mechanisms to ensure this?

I don't see what the fact that I've been on FM for years and made hundreds of postings has to do with it. If I was buying a lens from someone, that wouldn't make me any more confident; why should it?

Nov 07, 2015 at 06:13 PM
plnelson
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

My current body is a D800. But even if I had a body that could give me, say, 1EV better performance than the D800. the 2.8 would still add an EV on top of that and the VR would let me shoot handheld at an EV or two beyond that.

In other words, no matter what body I have, the advantages of the 2.8 VR would still make the package even better.

Nov 07, 2015 at 06:18 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

plnelson wrote:
But whether I sell here or Craigslist, I still don't understand how the trust issue works on the internet. It still comes down to two strangers who aren't meeting face-to-face being confident that one will get the product as advertised and the other will get the money. What are the mechanisms to ensure this?

I don't see what the fact that I've been on FM for years and made hundreds of postings has to do with it. If I was buying a lens from someone, that wouldn't make me any more confident; why should it?

It's really easy. You email or talk to the person on the phone. You set up a meet up like at a Starbucks, McDonalds etc, then you exchange item/cash

I've done in many times.

If you're mail the item they send you the money with paypal and then you ship it.

Not that hard.

Nov 07, 2015 at 07:16 PM
RLDubbya
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

plnelson wrote:

Because it is rather unlikely you joined this board 11 years ago and made thousands of posts just to post a 300/f4 for sale that is somehow not what you represent it to be?

Nov 07, 2015 at 08:11 PM
ariel777
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best way to "trade" 300mm f/4 for 300mm f/2.8 VR

The longer this goes on and the good souls on this board continue to respond sensibly to the OP's comments, The more convinced I am that this guy is "pulling our leg".

Nov 07, 2015 at 08:17 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.