New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Water resistant filters

Kisutch
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Water resistant filters

Anybody found a filter that sheds water well, for shooting in the rain or for when you need to leave a camera out for remote work? I use wider lenses so the hood isn't as useful for keeping rain off of lens. I assume that using something like rain-x could degrade image quality or damage coatings, though underwater photogs do use it on glass dome ports...

Has anyone tried the new Sigma WR filters?
thanks

Nov 04, 2015 at 04:20 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Water resistant filters

The B+W MRC filters are fairly hydrophobic, which also makes them very easy to clean.

Nov 05, 2015 at 01:56 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Water resistant filters

Kisutch wrote:
Anybody found a filter that sheds water well, for shooting in the rain or for when you need to leave a camera out for remote work? I use wider lenses so the hood isn't as useful for keeping rain off of lens. I assume that using something like rain-x could degrade image quality or damage coatings, though underwater photogs do use it on glass dome ports...

Has anyone tried the new Sigma WR filters?
thanks

Sorry but as an ex-underwater tog that last comment seems more than a little strange to me - why would you want anything water repellant on your front element ? Your camera is totally submerged and viewing totally clear, I wouldn't want or need rain-x on the port ! The only thing you have to guard against is internal condensation (on the housing port or camera front element) not anything external.

I can certainly understand your requirement for remote work, though maybe a cheapish Chinese filter and rain-x would suit your needs better than an expensive filter.

Nov 07, 2015 at 02:59 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Water resistant filters

The Rain-X makes it easier to wipe off the inside of the dome, to remove the condensation.

Nov 07, 2015 at 06:51 AM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Water resistant filters

Split level images, you get drops on half of lens out of water. I just shoot right before surface tension breaks, some try spit, some rain x -- why not just google it?

Frogfish wrote:
Sorry but as an ex-underwater tog that last comment seems more than a little strange to me - why would you want anything water repellant on your front element ? Your camera is totally submerged and viewing totally clear, I wouldn't want or need rain-x on the port ! The only thing you have to guard against is internal condensation (on the housing port or camera front element) not anything external.

I can certainly understand your requirement for remote work, though maybe a cheapish Chinese filter and rain-x would suit your needs better than an expensive filter.

Nov 07, 2015 at 07:10 AM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Water resistant filters

Thanks; these are what I'm currently using and I'm impressed by them, especially flare resistance when using lights in front of camera. Wondering if Sigma would shed water better, but it's $60 more in my size--95mm (to fit housing).
About to check two cameras that were out during our first fall storms so I'll get an idea how the BW's did.

dcains wrote:
The B+W MRC filters are fairly hydrophobic, which also makes them very easy to clean.

Nov 07, 2015 at 07:24 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Water resistant filters

Kisutch wrote:
Split level images, you get drops on half of lens out of water. I just shoot right before surface tension breaks, some try spit, some rain x -- why not just google it?

I've shot splits but I've never needed anything like rain-x and certainly wouldn't want it on my port/lens ! That however is still a different situation to most dives and it isn't UW per se (which is what you said). It requires a different plan. Anyway sorry for taking this off topic.

Nov 07, 2015 at 10:06 AM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Water resistant filters

Post one of your split levels please

Nov 08, 2015 at 11:35 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.