FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · blog vs. facebook

morby
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · blog vs. facebook

Hey there FM. So, I have a question for those stats trackers out there that use FB and a blog to share wedding posts. Which is better, driving people to your FB page or blog? Which has a greater chance of bringing future business your way?

I always post about 35 images from each wedding to my blog and FB. When I post to FB I tag the couple and encourage them to tag their friends, and link my blog to the post. The day I post a wedding preview I'll get a decent amount of likes, views and comments on FB, and another 300 or so hits to my blog. I've always believed that posting photos to FB was better for reaching a larger audience, because of how tagging and comments work.

Some photographers I know will use their FB accounts to only post links to their blog. They won't upload anything to a FB album. I've never done that before, but I'm wondering if it's more effective. Here's why...

A couple of weeks ago my associate shot a wedding, and I didn't tag the bride and groom because I'm not friends with her on FB. She went ahead and linked the blog post to her FB account and within 24 hours my blog got close to 1300 hits. I was excited by the traffic to my blog, but is that more beneficial than traffic to my FB account? On Facebook there is the possibility of reaching more people, and having people like my page. This produces long term exposure.

Does anyone have knowledge on which is better?

Nov 03, 2015 at 09:49 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · blog vs. facebook

Ive wondered too. More hits to your site also means more seo I believe. So thats kind of why I try to drive traffic there.

Nov 03, 2015 at 10:10 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · blog vs. facebook

Want to know something weird? We haven't written a new blog post in over year. Blog traffic hasn't gone down. Bookings are up and happening faster than at any other time in our 7 year history. Facebook isn't necessarily driving business toward us (that was the good ol days haha) but we have noticed more activity on FB, such as likes and comments. Maybe they tweaked the algorithm to let Pages show up more for more people? Because the last two years were brutal. A picture that got 100 likes 5 years ago got 5 likes last year. This year it's back up in the 30-50 range.

Nov 03, 2015 at 11:46 PM
Giules

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · blog vs. facebook

Why not both? What if you post one (or three) really good 'teaser' pictures and try to divert traffic to the blog.

Perhaps there will be some people that see that picture, like it and simply not go to the blog? I used to put up a lot on Facebook, but I'm trying this approach to see if it helps.

Nov 04, 2015 at 01:14 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · blog vs. facebook

Depends on the wedding & couple. If I think they're going to tag/share/engage with a full album on FB, I'll post it.

But for the most part this year I've been posting one photo, and then doing a link back to the blog. I just don't really like the look of a mass 80+ photo dump on a FB album. Even worse when it gets a measly 5 likes, two of which are yours.

Nov 04, 2015 at 06:25 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · blog vs. facebook

I don't have any answers to the questions, but I do share to fb as my primary outlet simply because that is where most of the clients spend their time online as well as do their family and friends. I didn't update my blog all year and just now getting to it. Though I am going to try harder to get to it quicker throughout the year so it doesn't pile up on me and while each wedding is fresh in my mind.

Nov 04, 2015 at 08:28 AM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · blog vs. facebook

I post one image to Facebook, with the link to the blog post and encourage people to go there to see the rest. It just looks cleaner on a blog than FB. Plus, you have the SEO side of it as well.

Nov 04, 2015 at 08:54 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · blog vs. facebook

Giules wrote:
Why not both? What if you post one (or three) really good 'teaser' pictures and try to divert traffic to the blog.

Perhaps there will be some people that see that picture, like it and simply not go to the blog? I used to put up a lot on Facebook, but I'm trying this approach to see if it helps.

I currently do both. If I post 35 images on FB, I do the same 35 on the blog. In the description part next to each photo I link to my blog. I wonder if a few would be better, and try to drive the rest to my blog.

Nov 04, 2015 at 10:45 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · blog vs. facebook

ZachOly wrote:
Depends on the wedding & couple. If I think they're going to tag/share/engage with a full album on FB, I'll post it.

But for the most part this year I've been posting one photo, and then doing a link back to the blog. I just don't really like the look of a mass 80+ photo dump on a FB album. Even worse when it gets a measly 5 likes, two of which are yours.

I usually do about 30-45 images on FB, and try to keep from being repetitive. I agree that the 80+ photo dump is way too much!

Nov 04, 2015 at 10:46 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · blog vs. facebook

ohsnaphappy wrote:
Want to know something weird? We haven't written a new blog post in over year. Blog traffic hasn't gone down. Bookings are up and happening faster than at any other time in our 7 year history. Facebook isn't necessarily driving business toward us (that was the good ol days haha) but we have noticed more activity on FB, such as likes and comments. Maybe they tweaked the algorithm to let Pages show up more for more people? Because the last two years were brutal. A picture that got 100 likes 5 years ago got 5 likes last year. This year
...Show more

Nov 04, 2015 at 10:48 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · blog vs. facebook

Facebook biz page is almost dead to me. I barely ever put photos on there anymore, because they just never get any traction.

Nov 04, 2015 at 11:20 AM
carriedaway
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · blog vs. facebook

I'm not the person to be answering this, because I'm terrible at posting on my FB, and I don't even have a blog because I know I won't update it. But with that being said, I've never gotten a serious inquiry from my FB page, they all come through my website. So you might want to look at where the inquiries are coming from, and then get traffic to that place.

Nov 04, 2015 at 11:33 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · blog vs. facebook

carriedaway wrote:
I'm not the person to be answering this, because I'm terrible at posting on my FB, and I don't even have a blog because I know I won't update it. But with that being said, I've never gotten a serious inquiry from my FB page, they all come through my website. So you might want to look at where the inquiries are coming from, and then get traffic to that place.

FB is still a big referral source for me. Some are through FB messages, others see photos on FB, then go to my website and fill out the contact us form.

I get most of my referrals from venues and other vendors. Next in line are past couples. Social media and my website play a big part in that. A local catering company has 3 venues, and does a lot of off site work as well. They are constantly sending me work, and a big reason is because of the photos I post on FB from weddings at their venues.

Nov 04, 2015 at 11:49 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · blog vs. facebook

joelconner wrote:
Facebook biz page is almost dead to me. I barely ever put photos on there anymore, because they just never get any traction.

Mine only get traction when I tag the couple.

Nov 04, 2015 at 11:49 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · blog vs. facebook

MattGruber wrote:
I post one image to Facebook, with the link to the blog post and encourage people to go there to see the rest. It just looks cleaner on a blog than FB. Plus, you have the SEO side of it as well.

This.

Nov 04, 2015 at 12:23 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · blog vs. facebook

Both. They cross feed each other.

Nov 04, 2015 at 12:28 PM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · blog vs. facebook

I've wondered this too. Currently, I only post sneak peeks (15ish) photos to Facebook a couple days after the wedding. I almost always get the couple to tag themselves.

I've booked 2 weddings through Facebook. Both were women who were high school classmates with the bride or groom, but not close friends. Because the couple tagged themselves, their sneak peek popped up in their newsfeed.

I also have noticed I have a lot of "regulars" who like or comment on nearly every wedding I do. They are mostly past brides and their moms. Havent seen anything come of that, but I imagine it's helpful in a small way. Sort of "word-of-mouth-through-the-web."

Nowadays though, everyone is telling me to use Instagram. I've had so many vendors and other photographers tell me it's worth it and that lots of clients are finding them that way.

Nov 04, 2015 at 07:40 PM
Giules

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · blog vs. facebook

mirrorrim wrote:
I've wondered this too. Currently, I only post sneak peeks (15ish) photos to Facebook a couple days after the wedding. I almost always get the couple to tag themselves.

I've booked 2 weddings through Facebook. Both were women who were high school classmates with the bride or groom, but not close friends. Because the couple tagged themselves, their sneak peek popped up in their newsfeed.

I also have noticed I have a lot of "regulars" who like or comment on nearly every wedding I do. They are mostly past brides and their moms. Havent seen anything come of that, but I imagine
...Show more

You should give instagram a try. I only started about a month or so ago (from a bride insisting ) and I had at least one enquiry where the person said they came across my work on instagram. I feel like facebook's exposure is more and more limited than when it started, unless you pay for ads. With instagram my photos seem to reach brides and other photographers/wedding planners worldwide.

Unfortunately, I still get quite a few enquiries and bookings just from facebook exposure and I'm forced to keep it active. The image compression on facebook is horrendous, so I hate posting to it. Everything looks so much better on my blog.

Nov 05, 2015 at 06:12 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · blog vs. facebook

Brides looking for a photographer are not going to be influenced by a blog but will be by the comments of other brides on FB. Best to use FB as a way to attract traffic and redirect it to your website.

With any marketing approach all you can do is try it and see if the investment in time and money produces adequate results to keep it going.

Most of the brides I have met with have an emotional view of their wedding day and blogs don't really click at that level. Photographers are a more logically oriented bunch and I believe we need to rely on others outside the profession for feedback as to whether what we are doing has any impact on potential customers.

Nov 05, 2015 at 02:56 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · blog vs. facebook

But for a lot of use who haven't hit "critical mass" and are getting a measly 5 likes on a photo and 500 "reach", I'd honestly rather not have an inquiry see that.

Nov 05, 2015 at 03:10 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.