Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photo...

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

In some cases the photo downloader app that comes with Adobe Photoshop and Bridge has been coughing up a hairball for some users who installed the new Mac OS "El Capitan" version. I've seen several issues:

1. The computer, which used to default to opening the downloader application when a camera or card was attached, now opens the new "Photos" application from apple instead. (I have found a way to stop this from happening.)

2. I can open the downloader application from Bridge by using a menu command. When the files are on a CF card from my 5DsR, the RAW files appear in the downloader and I can import them without much trouble. (Or at least I was able to as recently as a couple of weeks ago.)

3. I'm completely stuck with my Fujifilm XE-1 at this point. When I connect the camera via the USB cable or take out the memory card, insert it in a reader, and insert the reader in the computer... even after manually launching the downloader application it cannot see the card. It does not appear as one of the options in the downloader pop-up menu.

I've managed to get a few raw files to download by using Lightroom, but even here things are not running smoothly and I have been unable to download most of the files. The files are there. I can see them in the camera, and I can see them via the OS in the finder when the card is inserted in the reader?

Thoughts?

Nov 03, 2015 at 02:47 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

How do you stop the 'Photos' app from opening? Biggest pile of junk ever, and if I could delete it, or at least disable it I loved to!

Nov 03, 2015 at 02:52 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

pr4photos wrote:
How do you stop the 'Photos' app from opening? Biggest pile of junk ever, and if I could delete it, or at least disable it I loved to!

Yes, unfortunately, OS X now sets Photos as the default application for anything photo related. You can fix this setting though with a little effort.

Open the application Image Capture (It's in the Applications folder) plug in the camera or card ... then in the lower left of the IC dialog will be the text: "Connecting this XXXX will open"

The from the dropdown list below that text, either choose the application you prefer or select "No application" if you prefer to select your options manually to import your images.

You need to do this once for each separate device/camera you may plug in via USB to through a card reader.

Nov 03, 2015 at 04:33 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

Thankyou. I'll do that

Nov 03, 2015 at 06:51 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

If you simply transfer the images to a drive, can you then import to LR?

FWIW, I have taken to always transferring from the card to my storage drive, then importing to LR. I feel I have better control that way, and I KNOW where the files are going. I have not upgraded to ElCap or LR 6.2 yet after hearing about all the issues.

Paul

Nov 03, 2015 at 10:17 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

gdanmitchell wrote:
In some cases the photo downloader app that comes with Adobe Photoshop and Bridge has been coughing up a hairball for some users who installed the new Mac OS "El Capitan" version. I've seen several issues:

1. The computer, which used to default to opening the downloader application when a camera or card was attached, now opens the new "Photos" application from apple instead. (I have found a way to stop this from happening.)

Correct, there's a running discussion here.

3. I'm completely stuck with my Fujifilm XE-1 at this point. When I connect the camera via the USB cable or take out the memory card, insert it in a reader, and insert the reader in the computer... even after manually launching the downloader application it cannot see the card. It does not appear as one of the options in the downloader pop-up menu.

Apple completely rewrote USB for El Capitan and there are many reports online of devices simply not working, especially audio devices. Some of those are obviously dormant driver bugs, because they've been fixed by driver updates, but there are also reports of devices not working with Apple's own drivers. I have definitely seen other reports of cameras not working.

Two more El Capitan problems of interest to photographers:

1. Time Machine silently fails to back up if you have an uninterruptable power supply connected. Apparently this causes it to mistake the machine for a laptop running on battery.

2. The RAID functionality has been removed from Disk Utility. It's still in the system, but you have to do it from the command line.

(I'm not running El Capitan. I'd planned to make the move a couple of weeks ago, but after seeing all the reports delayed it.)

Nov 04, 2015 at 04:27 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

Man…I haven’t seen any of these problems following my upgrade to El Cap. But then my configuration is likely different from yours. I run PS CS6, no LR. I have a USB-connected card reader.

• I never activated Photos after upgrading to El Cap. So it doesn’t try to do anything when a card is inserted into my card reader. When inserted, the card appears on the desktop as a separate drive from which I can transfer the files wherever I like.
• I don’t use the downloader feature of Bridge.
• I have a UPS, and TM works fine.
• The RAID functionality on my Ist. Gen. Drobo works fine.

Jack

Nov 04, 2015 at 08:07 AM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

I use adobe CC with PS & LR and also use Apple Photos, I have had no problems with importing RAW files. I usually import with LR to two locations, internal drive and to my external USB drive. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I use and SD card with the internal card reader on the Retina iMac.

Nov 04, 2015 at 08:19 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

jforkner wrote:
The RAID functionality on my Ist. Gen. Drobo works fine.

I'm talking about the software RAID which works with internal drives.

Nov 04, 2015 at 08:41 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

melcat wrote

Two more El Capitan problems of interest to photographers:

1. Time Machine silently fails to back up if you have an uninterruptable power supply connected. Apparently this causes it to mistake the machine for a laptop running on battery.

2. The RAID functionality has been removed from Disk Utility. It's still in the system, but you have to do it from the command line.

(I'm not running El Capitan. I'd planned to make the move a couple of weeks ago, but after seeing all the reports delayed it.)

1. Only some users of El Capitan have experienced issues with Time Machine. It is not a universal glitch.

2. I'm not sure if it is a situation where Apple 'removed' the software RAID function or not. They completely re-wrote Disk Utility from the ground up for El Cap. The functionality is stil present in the underlying OS, it may just be a matter of them not reaching the point of adding it back to the DU UI in time for the release of 10.11. There seems to be a significant number of users who would like to have the function returned to DU, so we likely will see it again.

Nov 04, 2015 at 09:17 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

melcat wrote:

I did make the move. I recommend that others hold off. (I've never said that about an OS X upgrade before.)

Nov 04, 2015 at 09:46 PM
anscochrome
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

pr4photos wrote:

If you have an Apple IT friend who has a copy of Apple Remote Desktop, they can push this script to your machine to stop this auto open photos behavior (extremely annoying when you have to update 30 iPads at once):

#!/bin/bash
# Disable auto-launch iPhoto.app or Photos.app when connecting cameras/ipads
# ByHost preference stored in ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.ImageCapture2.[UUID].plist

# send as root

uuid=$(system_profiler -detailLevel basic | grep "Hardware UUID" | awk '{print $3}')

for user in $(ls /Users/); do
if [ -f "/Users/${user}/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist" ]; then

plist="/Users/${user}/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.ImageCapture2.${uuid}"

echo "processing ${user}"
defaults write "${plist}" HotPlugActionPath ""
defaults write "${plist}" LastHotPlugActionPath ""

# because we are doing this from root, we need to change the owner and perms back again
chown "${user}" "${plist}.plist"
chmod 700 "${plist}.plist"
fi
done

Nov 05, 2015 at 03:21 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

I'm having no issues running El Capitan and I'm running it on 4 different macs right now. I do have the annoyance of Photos opening every time I insert a card into my card reader but it doesn't really affect much as LR also opens the import dialogue at the same time and I just click on LR and get to business and later close photos. I still need photos to see shared photo streams from family and share some with them or else I'd look at a way to get rid of it.

I will have a read of the other discussions about stopping Photos but I'm not sure if it will work if I'm inserting re-formatted memory cards every time....not sure if it will be able to recognize the "device" i.e. card if it is newly formatted in my camera.

I'm running on the beta program for El Capitan but usually update my 12"rMB first to make sure there aren't any major issues before updating my workhorses (iMac and 15rMBP). Need to try out the newest Beta released today on the rMB and then I'll move the other computers ahead. I'm liking El Cap a lot better than Yosemite.

Nov 05, 2015 at 10:48 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

There aren't any security funnies in the script posted by anscochrome in post #12 above, but for a single user on a single Mac it's a clumsy and inefficient way of going about it. (It also has a mostly harmless bug.)

The script is equivalent to each user typing at the command line (i.e., in Terminal):

defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture2 HotPlugActionPath ""
defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture2 LastHotPlugActionPath ""

You do not need to run as root or an administrator or have any special setup to do that.

You can see the current values using:

defaults -currentHost read com.apple.ImageCapture2

Here's what I see on Yosemite on a system without any Adobe software:
{
HotPlugActionPath = "";
LastHotPlugActionPath = "";
}

I must have set that using Image Capture. If Apple really removed that capability from El Capitan, you'd need to use this method.

(Without running the script in #12, the bug I think I see is that it will leave the plist file in group "wheel" instead of the "staff" it should be on most or all Macs. This will be corrected the first time the user changes these preferences any normal way. It has no practical effect I can think of, other than possibly being flagged as doubtful during a security audit.)

I too am seeing reports that there is no workaround if the card is reformatted in the camera, and it's disappointing if arbitrage is still seeing this in the 10.11.2 beta. There is a hidden "serial number" which a formatter writes and which the Mac must be matching against - some cameras may preserve that during the format. I will say that I think in 2015 it should be safe to format on the computer, but Apple ought to have known it's the usual practice to do it in the camera. I also follow this practice, because I don't format until the files have propagated to backup, by which time the card has long since been dismounted from the computer.

Nov 06, 2015 at 10:55 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

I finally had an opportunity to use the Adobe photo downloaded (the front end to Bridge) with a card from my 5DsR last night. I was able to download the files, but there were still problems: image thumbnails did not appear in the downloader display, and my default EXIF data that should be added on download was not added.

In my view, there are multiple issues:

1. The "Photo" app automatically opens when a card is inserted or a camera is connected. While this may be swell for the casual users that Apple experts to use Photo app, it is very bad behavior for an application to supplant the user's intentional selection of another import app, especially since it does so without a warning and without offering users an option to select a different app.

2. It seems that one cannot actually select the Adobe downloader app any more, even if it had been the selected default handler for image files when a card is inserted or a camera connected. Adobe gets some blame here, as they hide the application in a complex way. In order to see the application icon one needs to jump through a few hoops and then make an alias of it.

3. Unfortunately, once you make an alias of the Adobe application and try to select it instead of the Photos app in the popup menu, it does not work correctly with the alias.

4. If you can get the downloader app to see the card and the files, it still does not handle them correctly. On one of my cameras (connected directly or with the card removed and placed in a USB reader) it cannot see the files at all. With another camera it can see the files but doesn't show image thumbnails or import them correctly.

5. Light room kind of works, but I have yet to successfully import all of the files from the first camera's card in Lightroom — the import grinds to halt and gives up part way through.

Dan

Nov 08, 2015 at 10:29 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

Dan, it might not have been obvious from my earlier post but you can use a variant of those commands to start any program you like, in your case Photo Downloader.

You need the full path name of the program. Since you have an alias you can probably copy the path from Get Info there. Otherwise, the best way to find it is from the command line. Here’s what it is on my system:

/Applications/Adobe Bridge CS6/Adobe Bridge CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Photo Downloader.app

Then, to make it start as the default image uploader, the command would be

defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture2 HotPlugActionPath "/Applications/Adobe Bridge CS6/Adobe Bridge CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Photo Downloader.app"

The double quotes are necessary because there are spaces in the file name. The command must be all on the one line.

This gets around any limitations or bugs in the Image Capture preferences window.

I stopped using Photo Downloader years ago when I saw its timezone bugs, but back then I did used to start it from an alias in the Dock. Maybe Adobe changed it so you can’t any more. Or maybe you’ve accidentally made an alias to some old, not fully functioning, copy of it on your system.

I found its path using "cd", "ls" and "pwd" commands in Terminal. "cd" changes the "working" directory, "ls" lists the files there, and "pwd" prints the working directory (bear in mind these go back to 1978, so "print" now means "show in Terminal’s window"). As before, you need to put quotes around any path with spaces in it. Be very careful at the command line, as you can wipe out thousands of files with a single typo!

For example:

cd "/Applications/Bridge CS6"
ls
cd "Bridge CS6.app"

etc.

Nov 08, 2015 at 09:04 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

I spent a couple of hours testing changes to the plist file on Saturday. Regardless of scenario which included trying to use image capture as well, on the Canon 5D3 if you reformat in the body and then insert via card reader or direct, the Photos.app will consistently come up. Reason, Canon's reformat changes the UUID on the card and it's the UUID that Apple looks at to determine if it has seen it before or not. Definitely something Apple should have caught and accounted for.

Side note discovery: out of curiosity I tried a card from my Sony a7r. Interesting enough a reformat in the Sony body does not trigger the Photos.app to reappear after setting image capture to 'none'. Checked the UUID before and after a reformat. Sure enough, Sony does NOT change the UUID on the SD card during a reformat.

So for Canon it appears we are SOL unless Apple fixes it's miss. Regardless of what is in the plist, put there manually or via Image Capture, Canon reformat changes the UUID of the card and Apple thinks it's a new card and subsequently fires up Photos.app.

Maybe a solution Delete the Photos.app - seems drastic. Anyone successfully go this far? If so, how did you do it?

Matt

Nov 09, 2015 at 08:40 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

A simple solution to this was posted on reddit a couple of days ago:

http://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/3xkrw5/tip_how_to_stop_osx_apple_photos_from_launching/

In Terminal, type

defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES

I haven't tried this myself (still on Yosemite). I note a comment that it "didn't work" and I wonder whether the poster made a slip and meant ImageCapture2 instead of ImageCapture; I'd try that if it doesn't work as given. EDIT: there is a suggestion on the Apple forums that it didn't work under 11.1 but does now on 11.3.

I was disappointed 11.3 came out with this, by reports, still not fixed. At least some of the USB problems were addressed in that update.

@schlotz: Yes, it can be done and has been done, but the method is a little complicated because of new, and completely justified and desirable, measures Apple put in against badly behaved app installers meddling with the system. I'm not going to post how to circumvent those.

Dec 22, 2015 at 08:23 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

Well, the terminal command is a heavy handed approach. Basically it stops imagecapture, period. No app will automatically pop up and run upon card insertion. After running the terminal command, setting the app inside imagecsapture does not work either. Still, for me it's better than having the photo.app come up so I'll continue with it but really hope apple will pull their head out of their butt and get the UUID logic fixed.

Matt

Dec 23, 2015 at 09:43 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone resolved RAW file download issues with Mac 'El Capitan' and Photoshop?

I've never used any kind of app to transfer image files from a card to my computer. I simply drag and drop the files from the card reader (never connect the actual camera) to my computer, and then I can use them any way I like or import them into any photo browser or editor I desire. Seems to be the cleanest simplest method for 20 years now.

To respond to Dan's original inquiry, I have just been using El Cap for a week or so and have not transferred any image files yet, but I can't imagine that my method would not work.

Dec 23, 2015 at 01:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.