New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

naturephoto1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

At present I have my A7r that I purchased as a Pre-order and have been using it ever since with an assortment of Leica R, Leica M (and M-mount), and a Canon FD 500mm f4.5 L lens. I would like to not have to change lenses on a single body as often. Most of the time I shoot with my camera or lens mounted on a tripod.

I would really appreciate input from the FM members about what i am considering to do.

In the near future I hope to add to this system and to get additional cameras to better serve my needs. I have been using my Minolta CLE MC 40mm f2 M-Rokkor lens as my walk around and my most commonly mounted lens on my A7r. I am considering getting the new RX1RII camera to take advantage of the superb 35mm Sony lens. This would give me a 2nd camera body that would specifically provide me a 35mm focal length freeing up my A7r for other focal length lenses. I am seriously considering selling my Leica R 35mm f2 Summicron lens that had a CLA by Leica Camera USA in I believe around January of 2013. I have not used the lens in quite some time and it is in probably a M to M- condition and was one of the first R lenses that I purchased around 1984 or 1985. I hope that I could sell the lens for around $1100 on FM.

I am also considering getting an A7rII camera in the future as well. I am thinking once I have the A7rII my A7r would become my second body used largely for my Leica M WATE and my Leica M 90mm f2.5 Summarit lenses. I would expect to use the A7rII camera mainly or often with my Leica R lenses.

With this kind of set-up and with the Sony RX1RII I would expect to use my Leica R 28mm f2.8 Elmarit V2 less often since the 35mm lens on the RX1RII is apparently closer to 32mm in focal length. With the set-up that I am considering using these cameras and lenses I would consider mounting the WATE on the A7r and switch to the Leica M 90mm f2.5 lens when needed. On rare occasion I would then use the Minolta 40mm lens.

As to using the A7rII, I would then expect to mount my Leica R 50mm f2 Summicron as my normal lens and would use other R lenses when needed including the mentioned 28mm f2.8 Elmarit V2 when carried, my R 100mm f2.8 Apo-Macro-Macro-Elmarit, my R 180mm f3.4 Apo Telty, my R 280mm f4 Apo Telyt (naked and with either the R 1.4X Apo Extender or the R 2X Apo Extender). I also have the R 35mm-70mm f4 and the R 80mm-200mm f4 Vario Elmar lenses available for usage as well as other R lenses.

When using my Canon new FD 500mm f4.5L lens, I could mount this on either the A7r or the A7rII and when I needed an additional Tele lens, I could mount it on the other FF camera.

So, if I wanted to carry a 4 lens/3 camera system and not need to change lenses often, I could then carry the RX1RII with the 35mm lens, the A7r with the WATE, the A7rII and my R 50mm f2 Summicron, and my M 90mm f2.5 Summarit lens. When I really wanted to travel light I could travel with just the RX1RII or the RX1RII with the A7r with the M WATE (and possibly the M 90mm f2.5 Summarit).

I would still consider having Kolari do a sensor stack modification in the future.

Rich

Nov 03, 2015 at 12:45 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

Sounds complicated to me. I'd far rather have 2 cameras and 3 or 4 lenses and have to switch a little more often. That goes doubly so when it's 3 different cameras (all with slightly different ergonomics and controls and "issues"-- ahem, eccentricities).

But that's why we all take different approaches. If it works for you-- right on.

Nov 03, 2015 at 01:35 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

Richard, I have shoot since 2010 always with 2+ FF-bodies (before that 1.3x crop and FF). With Sony I started by mixing with Canon, first shooting 2x5DmkII + A7, then 2xA7+5DmkII and now I'm settled to 2xA7+A7r. I may go with 21/28/35mm lenses or 90/135/180mm, depending on location. I prefer not to change lenses on field, and I think that I didn't change any lenses on field during 2015 - I usually have pretty good idea what I'm trying to achieve in location I'm visiting, and therefore I can select lenses at home. If I have no idea what I'm going to shoot, then 28(or 25)/50/135 suits almost any situation as I don't need long teles and won't shoot any moving stuff, and I prefer to shoot from tripod 99% of time.

I prefer lenses on one trip/hike/whatever to have similar rendering style. Usually at home I select suitable Zeiss C/Y, ZE or Leica R set for cameras and go shooting. Only bad thing about this habit is that I need to have multiple good adapters for same mount, currently I have full set (=3) of adapters only for Leica R, Zeiss C/Y and Olympus OM, but Leica R mixes well with Leica M, and all Zeiss ZE and older Zeiss with each another.

I did find it ergonomically distracting to shoot Canon and Sony at same day/hike/trip/whatever - however people are different; I lose my "artistical flow" on stupid distractions or annoyances like wrong focus direction of lens, some other people do it all the time and don't mind. Now with 3 similar Sony's and lenses focusing to "correct" direction I'm pretty happy. I would not mix native Sony and Zeiss/Leica/Canon... as they focus to different directions - also I hate all focus by wire I have experienced this far (haven't tried Batis yet) - as RX series is native Sony I would imagine it focuses to "wrong" direction compared to your Leicas.

3xA7(r) works for me .Before, with Canon bodies, I would have also preferred to shoot with 3 bodies, but it was not feasible (hand luggage flight regulations, bag weight and size on hikes) - Sony made it possible due to light weight&small size, 3x A7 with 2xZeiss ZE and one lighter lens + all batteries, filters, etc. is just below maximum 8kg hand luggage weight limit. I tried RX1 few times in store, but decided against it, as 3 small bodies and freedom to choose lenses works better for me.

So I think you need to find what works for you. Sony RX1RII combined to your Leica's might be great combo if you don't mind the handling & rendering differences and you really like the 35mm FOV (as it's fixed you better love it, not just like...).

Samuli

Nov 03, 2015 at 02:53 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

My ideal kit:

a7r + 21mm loxia
a7r + 40mm rokkor-m or rx1
85mm batis

Nov 03, 2015 at 03:39 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

First off, how are you envisioning this when most of your work is on a tripod? Two tripods? Dual camera tripod mounts on a single tripod? And if you are on one tripod, how about where you store those cameras when not on a tripod?

I had considered just such a move when a7's got so cheap, but for tripod work, it was pointless for me. Wearing slings or straps, its easy. If the point is dust or weather ingress protection, it makes sense as well.

Dual camera setups can work, and work well, but on a tripod, there are a few variables that I need sorted first.

Nov 03, 2015 at 03:57 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

I've been shooting with 2 bodies for a while now. When I used Canon's I had a 1ds series up to Mk3 with one of the 5D or 5D2 as backup, but my pack was not large enough to carry the 5D, so it stayed in the vehicle as backup. On the few occasions I did take it with me I never used it in place of switching lenses due to the banding.

When I switched to the Sony A7r I started using a 5N series as backup but then decided to plump for a 2nd FF. I considered an A7 as it was cheaper but decided to duplicate the body to add a 2nd lens option (as you discussed). I've done the same again with the A7r2.

I may get an RX1RII, but if I do it will be strictly as a walk about option when I don't want any pack, so I won't carry it when I'm out with a pack and the 7's + lenses and will keep my 35mm option, although that's often the Canon T/S lens.

Nov 03, 2015 at 03:58 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

TheEmrys wrote:
First off, how are you envisioning this when most of your work is on a tripod? Two tripods? Dual camera tripod mounts on a single tripod? And if you are on one tripod, how about where you store those cameras when not on a tripod?

I had considered just such a move when a7's got so cheap, but for tripod work, it was pointless for me. Wearing slings or straps, its easy. If the point is dust or weather ingress protection, it makes sense as well.

Dual camera setups can work, and work well, but on a tripod, there are
...Show more

I have L plates on each camera so switching on a tripod is v.easy if I decide to go from the lens on 1 camera to the other. Both cameras easily fit into the top of my backpack with a protective piece of foam between them.

The key piece for me was that if I was going to carry a 2nd body around as backup so that I could switch out immediately if needed (rather than have to go back to the vehicle of hotel) then make it a duplicate (rather than a low res/quality emergency body) and keep my 2nd most often used lens on it.

Edited on Nov 03, 2015 at 04:04 PM · View previous versions

Nov 03, 2015 at 04:04 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

TheEmrys wrote:

Dual camera setups can work, and work well, but on a tripod, there are
...Show more

I carry the cameras and lenses in a camera backpack, waist pack, or a shoulder bag. All cameras have L brackets which allow for rapid swapping of cameras as well as horizontal or vertical orientation in my Arca Swiss type QR clamps on my Markins ball heads for my Carbon Fiber RRS or Gitzo tripods.

Rich

Nov 03, 2015 at 04:04 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

I'm contemplating the opposite move. I have an A7 Kolari and an A7mk2. I've used the mk2 for vacations (with the 16-35 and a few longer primes) and the modded A7 for walkaround trips with small primes (21SEM etc). I've never gone out with both bodies, but I carry a small bag (ThinkTank Retro 5).

With the modded A7 I have good edges, smaller body, lack of IBIS, wonky WB (yes I've got color profiles for that but it's still irritating to me), and the sensor-topping ray-gun reflections for bright light sources (which killed several shots when I took it on a short vacation in September). The 21mm and 28mm rangefinder lenses frequently need the Adobe FF plugin applied to clear up color casts.

With the A7ii I've got IBIS, and much lesser sensor reflections. It's a bit bigger, the edges are smeared with RF wides, still needs the same Adobe FF for 21/28 Leica.

I'm thinking of just changing to a single A7r2. I've sold the 28 Summicron, and can live with the edge smearing of the 21 SEM (I went back and looked at older pictures with it on the un-modded A7. . .they're fine for what I'm doing, and I've got the FE16-35 if I want to avoid that). No more color cast though. (the 35 Lux FLE probably needs a bit of correction on the cameras I have, too).

Nov 03, 2015 at 04:13 PM
JaKo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

^^^ Similarly to Taylor I am using Kolari modded A7R strictly for Leica SEM21 and A7RM2 for all other lenses. For now, I decided to keep SEM21 and modded A7R combo as a dedicated WA setup. Yes, colour cast requires converting RAW to DNG then edits with CornerFix, but that's less evil than SEM21 corner smearing/degradation on A7RM2.

Perhaps Loxia 21 will decide faith of my SEM21. Even if Loxia 21 will equal performance of the incredible SEM21, I may still sell SEM just to reduce PP hustle of cleaning colour cast.

Without SEM21 I could sell modded A7R and stick to only A7RM2, but that most likely won’t materialize for number of reasons; mainly low resell value of A7R and my need for 2nd camera body. In fact, I really enjoy small size and weight factor of A7R/SEM21 and convenience of having second body without any need to change lenses in the field (yep, Kolari sensor stack is a real dust magnet and every small particle is clearly visible past f/5.6)

As much as I enjoy shooting with small RF glass time may come when I will follow Charles’ steps and move to FE native lenses.

Nov 03, 2015 at 06:28 PM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
I did find it ergonomically distracting to shoot Canon and Sony at same day/hike/trip/whatever - however people are different; I lose my "artistical flow" on stupid distractions or annoyances like wrong focus direction of lens, some other people do it all the time and don't mind. Now with 3 similar Sony's and lenses focusing to "correct" direction I'm pretty happy. I would not mix native Sony and Zeiss/Leica/Canon... as they focus to different directions - also I hate all focus by wire I have experienced this far (haven't tried Batis yet) - as RX series is native Sony I
...Show more

I might be misunderstanding your point but my four native Sony lenses (28/2, 35/2.8, 35/1.4, 55/1.8) focus in the same "correct" direction as the legacy lenses I have in Canon FD, Contax CY, Konica AR, Leica R, Minolta MC/MD, and Olympus OM mounts: in all cases, holding the camera to one's eye, you turn the focusing ring anti-clockwise to focus from near to far. The same is true for the Zeiss Loxia lenses but I'm not sure about the Batis. I'd be surprised if the Batis lenses focused in the "wrong" direction.

http://www.dxomark.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/media/images/lead_pic/107606-1-eng-US/lead_pic.jpg

However both the Sony FE 35/1.4 and Loxia aperture rings turn in the wrong direction: clockwise to go from wide open to fully stopped-down (as do the Olympus OM lenses).

I agree that it's ergonomically distracting to use lenses that work in opposite directions but I regard a mismatch of focusing direction as a far greater inconvenience than aperture direction. The aperture ring on the RX1(R/R2) cameras turns in the wrong direction but happily it appears that the focusing direction is correct.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/46/1202446.jpg

Nov 03, 2015 at 07:13 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

Hi Rich,

Your plan sounds reasonable, and should be a kit with which you are very happy.

However, have you considered a Zeiss ZM 35 f/1.4 instead of the RX1r II? I think a two camera kit with the A7r and the A7r II (with the Kolari mod), the WATE, the R 28 f/2.8 v. II, the ZM 35 f/1.4, the R 50 f/2 v. II, and the M 90 f/2.5, the R 100 AME, the R 180 f/3.4 APO, the R 280 f/4 APO, & the Canon FD 500 f/4.5L would be pretty tough to beat. You could take any 3 or 4 lenses and still have a small and versatile kit without any serious compromises. As good as the 35 f/2 Sonnar in the RX1r II is, I think the ZM 35 f/1.4 on a modified camera rivals it and even surpasses it in some ways (of course the 35 f/2 Sonnar is better in some ways too), and the ZM 35 f/1.4 is a lot smaller than the 35 Sonnar with the extra camera and L plate.

Still I think either solution is fantastic and you will be happy with either one, but if it was me I would pass on the RX1 r II, and go with the ZM 35 f/1.4 (and the Leica SL too, but that is another story).

Nov 03, 2015 at 09:38 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

Steve Spencer wrote:
Hi Rich,

Your plan sounds reasonable, and should be a kit with which you are very happy.

However, have you considered a Zeiss ZM 35 f/1.4 instead of the RX1r II? I think a two camera kit with the A7r and the A7r II (with the Kolari mod), the WATE, the R 28 f/2.8 v. II, the ZM 35 f/1.4, the R 50 f/2 v. II, and the M 90 f/2.5, the R 100 AME, the R 180 f/3.4 APO, the R 280 f/4 APO, & the Canon FD 500 f/4.5L would be pretty tough to beat. You could take any
...Show more

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input. After going back and reading again about the new Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 Ultron, that might also be a good option and possibly even a better performer from what I have read than even the ZM 35mm f1.4. That might particularly be the case on the A7rII. If I could get a copy of the Black 35mm Ultron for closer to $600 of $700, I would prefer that to the $980 list price through Cameraquest and all of the US sellers.

There are obvious advantages to only having 2 camera bodies including weight and volume. Cost is also another question. But, regardless, I suspect that my R 35mm f2 Summicron will be up for sale here on FM.

Rich

Nov 03, 2015 at 09:50 PM
JaKo
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

Rich, you may be quite happy with Zeiss ZM 1.4/35 even on stock A7RM2:

Full size example

Nov 04, 2015 at 12:10 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

Have you tried the 55FE and still prefer the summicron?

Nov 04, 2015 at 09:35 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

JaKo wrote:
Rich, you may be quite happy with Zeiss ZM 1.4/35 even on stock A7RM2:

Jack,

Something to consider as is the new Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 Ulton which may be about the same quality as the Zeiss but much lighter. Another possibility is to just stay at the 28mm focal length of my R Elmarit V2 and either the Minolta CLE MC 40mm m2 M-Rokkor for really light options or the R 50mm f2 Summicron for greater sharpness and edge/corner performance.

Full size example

---------------------------------------------

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
Have you tried the 55FE and still prefer the summicron?

I only have MF lenses for my A7r and I have had the lens since 1984. It still performs exceedingly well and is still in M or M- condition. With the exception of my Minolta CLE MC 40mm f2 M-Rokkor which is basically a Leica lens and my Canon new FD 500mm f4.5L lens all of my other lenses are Leica R or M lenses which perform well as a set of lenses.

Rich

Nov 04, 2015 at 09:46 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony FF Multiple Camera Set-up

naturephoto1 wrote:
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input. After going back and reading again about the new Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 Ultron, that might also be a good option and possibly even a better performer from what I have read than even the ZM 35mm f1.4. That might particularly be the case on the A7rII. If I could get a copy of the Black 35mm Ultron for closer to $600 of $700, I would prefer that to the $980 list price through Cameraquest and all of the US sellers.

There are obvious advantages to only having 2 camera bodies including weight and volume. Cost is
...Show more

Hi Rich,

Good luck with the sale of the R 35 f/2 Summicron. It is a great lens. I loved mine when I had it, but there are better fits for your type of photography. The primary weakness of the R 35 cron is that the corners and edges are quite weak even stopped down. For your primarily tripod based often stopped down work, there are better choices, but as a portrait lens the R 35 cron is great and especially good on a crop body.

I haven't had the new Voigtlander 35 f/1.7, but from Philip Reeve's excellent review I think the field curvature might not suit your style the best. The ZM 35 f/1.4 has a very flat field on a modified camera and I still think it would be great for your style, but of course you will be the best judge of that. As Jako has demonstrated, it is even quite good on a unmodified camera if stopped down to f/5.6 or narrower. So, that is an option too, but I think in your case with the WATE and the a ZM 35 f/1.4 (both of which perform just a little better with the modification) I would go for modifying one of the bodies. That would also let you substitute your R 28 Elmarit v. II for an M 28 cron ASPH. This would save significantly in size and weight and I think as good as the R 28 Elmarit v II is, the M 28 cron ASPH overall at least matches it for performance. And given prices these days, there is not much cost in the switch. You might consider an M 24 Elmar ASPH as well, which is a cracking lens with a very flat field and it is tiny. Personally, for stopped down shooting I think I prefer the 24 Elmar over even the 28 cron. For small high performance lenses at the wide end, it would be hard to beat the WATE, 24 Elmar ASPH, and the ZM 35 f/1.4, and on a modified camera you will get just that bit extra for all these lenses too. Add to these the R 50 cron v II, and the M 90 Summarit, and you have an extremely compact set of lenses from 16 through 90, that all are fantastic stopped down with great performance across the field.

Nov 04, 2015 at 09:52 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.