New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · GPS system for D800

W4w3

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GPS system for D800

I’m looking for a GPS system for my D800 to geo tag all of my photos on the go. I have previously never geo tagged any of my shots so I have zero experience in all of this.

What is required of the product is simply the ability to record location data on the files themselves. Not making the workflow any more tedious is of high importance to me, so, for example the mobile phone GPS apps would not be my first choice (they will also likely be out of the question as I’m currently using neither Android nor iOS).

As for the typical use, I mainly need geo tagging in my travels since, when driving, I might stop by the road to take a picture every now and then and after the trip have found it impossible to remember where exactly the photos are taken.

The product I’m looking for would ideally perform well both outdoors and inside buildings. Occasionally I do some urban exploration so the ability to geo tag photos taken indoors would be nice.

Based on my quick research on the topic I understood that there are a lot of alternative products on the market. I don’t mind attaching the GPS unit to the hot shoe since I very rarely use flash on the trips anyways. However, I don’t want the GPS unit to prevent me from using a remote shutter release.

The budget for the purchase will be something like $500 at most, but from what I've read the typical products aren't that expensive.

So what would be your recommendations for my needs? Also, if there are any good reviews on the alternative products on the market, I’d appreciate links to these.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 03, 2015 at 03:52 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GPS system for D800

I use a Dawntech di-GPS on my D800. It attaches to the 10 pin port but has a pass-through and so I often use it with my remote shutter release as well. Works fantastically outdoors, pretty well indoors and the newest model has a "last position" feature to help if you go too deep in a building. I'm very happy with mine. Oh, and at under $200 the price is nice as well.

Peace,

Todd

PS - Nikon really needs to add GPS to their pro line.

Nov 03, 2015 at 11:38 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GPS system for D800

I use an Aokatec Bluetooth module with a Holux M-1000C Bluetooth GPS data logger. I first bought the AK-4NII for my D700's which worked perfectly in the vast expanse of Kenya and Tanzania. If one is going indoors, turn on the GPS before to establish a link.

I have since updated to theAK-4NIII for my D-810's, I had to do a tiny bit of sanding on the module so it fits just right but the D800 might be okay as Aokatec site states. $59 gets you the module.

http://www.aokatec.com/index.html

Nov 03, 2015 at 01:10 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GPS system for D800

I second the Aokatec. I started with their bluetooth adapter and the Holux M-1000C GPS receiver and then switched to the all in one Aokatec GPS receivers and then back to the Bluetooth solution.

The advantage of the Bluetooth receiver and Holux is that I can leave the Holux on the entire day and have it in a pocket on me or inside a camera bag and then I get GPS coordinates instantly as soon as I turn on the camera. I can use the same Holux with multiple cameras. The Bluetooth adapter cost is $30. The Holux 1000 can go many days before it needs to be recharged (using a USB cable or 12v adapter) and it is the size of a small box of matches.

Being able to go days without needing to recharge anything is why I like this approach. My smartphones have had a 12-18 hour battery life so need to be recharged each night. The GPS acquisition is also much slower than the Holux and not as accurate.

When I add a new camera I spend another $30 on an adapter at most and with the D3/D800/D810 they all use the 10-pin port so I have been using the same bluetooth adapter for years. The adapters take up the 10-pin port but Aokatec has a cable release with a miniplug that goes into the adapter and their cable is cheap.

Nov 03, 2015 at 04:32 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GPS system for D800

I've done a lot of experimenting trying to perfect a GPS solution for when I travel.

Here's what I've found:

I don't like the all-in-one GPS solutions that are a GPS receiver plugging directly into the camera with no self-contained battery. I thought I would like this the best, since it's simple, but it's too slow to re-acquire. Either the GPS device needs to keep your camera awake to get power, or it needs to go to sleep in which case the GPS has to re-acquire a signal before the shot. It's fine if you're out shooting landscapes where you can wait for everything to sync up before taking a shot, but bad when shooting wildlife.

I also don't like the bulky solutions that take up the hotshoe. It's clunky, and between the hotshoe mounted receiver and the cable running to the data port, it tends to snag on things if I'm on the move and the camera is going in and out of my backpack.

The solution I have right now is a Foolography bluetooth adapter and a Qstarz BT-Q818XT GPS receiver. The Foolography adapter is tiny and low profile, and has excellent power saving decision making. The Qstarz GPS receiver has amazing battery life - literally double what most other solutions offer - and is speedy in re-acquiring signal even when it's sleeping.

I owned the Aokatec bluetooth adapter and the Holux M-1000 and they are both okay, and a LOT cheaper than the Foolography + Qstarz solution, so you can definitely save some money. The latter is a higher quality solution, though. Better power management, faster workflow.

Even so, I occasionally end up with a dropped Bluetooth connection or take the shot too quickly and lose the tag. I am considering switching to a GPS logger and just dealing with the extra step of synchronizing my tags, but I would also gain the advantage of my hikes being logged.

Nov 04, 2015 at 02:08 PM
W4w3

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GPS system for D800

Thanks everyone!

After doing some more research and asking around, I think I'll get the Dawntech unit.

I noticed that they are also selling this Eco ProSumer M model, which would seem to be suitable for the D5200. My girlfriend has this camera body and I thought I could buy one for her as well as a gift. However, I couldn't find nearly as much information on the ProSumer M model as I did on the one for the D800. So has anyone got experience with the prosumer model or should I just trust that it is as well built as is the higher end one? At least based on the price difference this would seem like a valid assumption.

Nov 06, 2015 at 09:50 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.