New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · Smallest 200mm prime..

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Smallest 200mm prime..

dasrocket wrote:
...A short, small tele preferably with a semi-loose ring would be ideal

Sounds like something that could be treated with medication.

Nov 04, 2015 at 10:19 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Smallest 200mm prime..

pdmphoto wrote:
I've found the IQ from my Oly 200/5 to be surprisingly good on my A7R. Best yet, it continues to perform admirably at infinity, unlike some of the other 180-200's (Voigtlander 180/4 is noted to drop in IQ at infinity).

I have this lens also. While the nikon 180/2.8 AIS ED smokes it, and on my nex 5n it was not great, the A7 cameras like the lens alot.

The MD 200/4 is nearly as light (you have to get the right version) and supposed to be really sharp, but the copy I found was dusty and never fully recovered from my cleaning It was cheap though.

OP Quite an extreme lenset.

Here is 200/5next to 150/3.5 Pentax:

DSC02558-1 by unoh7, on Flickr

200/5 handles real nice on the a7 too. Long but light.

May, Idaho by unoh7, 200/5 on a7.mod

Nov 05, 2015 at 01:15 AM
slungu
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Smallest 200mm prime..

I hope my question would not be interpreted an hijacking, but since this is about light/small ~200mm lenses I was wondering if one would comment about the differences between the Oly 200/4 and the Leica 180/4. The reason I am asking is because right now I am shooting a C/Y 28/2.8, C 90/2.8 and still have a Oly 50/3.5 and I would tend to get a long lens for the seldom long shot, but not another adapter in the bag ( Leica ).
Of course, I could switch to Leica with a 60/90/180 combination, but this would be heavier than the current setup.
Regards, Stefan

Nov 05, 2015 at 03:29 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Smallest 200mm prime..

Cadaver wrote:
I'll recommend the Nikon 200mm f4 AI (from the list above). Wide open I find this lens to be very sharp. It's a little longer than you would prefer, but I like it's slender lightweight build.

I've got a Nikon 200mm f/4 AIS which I guess would be essentially identical to the AI. It even has a sliding hood.

Nov 05, 2015 at 07:33 AM
telyt
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Smallest 200mm prime..

apoglass wrote:
... (If looking for a copy of the Leica R 180/2.8 APO, be aware that there are two variants of the latest version, with only the later variant with a more deeply repositioned rear element that will work with the Leica APO-EXTENDER-R 1.4x which bulges into the rear of the lens. Believe that Leica can factory modify the earlier Leica R 180/2.8 APO variant at considerable expense to accept the 1.4x extender. Also, the Leica R 180/2.8 APO comes without a tripod foot, but the Burzynski Macromount Leica Universal Lens Collar can be readily added, and is not flimsy as
...Show more

There are two version of the 180mm APO-Elmarit-R (previous 180mm f/2.8 Leica lenses were not APO). The early version does not accept the 1.4x APO-Extender-R, the later version can. The modification to the early version to accept the 1.4x APO extender is no longer available.

Nov 05, 2015 at 07:59 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Smallest 200mm prime..

I have a 180 f/3.5 soligor preset, m42 mount, that seems really good, and is compact

Nov 05, 2015 at 11:04 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Smallest 200mm prime..

telyt wrote:
There are two version of the 180mm APO-Elmarit-R (previous 180mm f/2.8 Leica lenses were not APO). The early version does not accept the 1.4x APO-Extender-R, the later version can. The modification to the early version to accept the 1.4x APO extender is no longer available.

I also have read that the second version (variant?) of the 180/2.8 apo fixed the "ninja star" bokeh that could occasionally show up in images with the first version. Only about 400 of the second version were made making it tough to find.

Nov 05, 2015 at 02:04 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Smallest 200mm prime..

rscheffler wrote:
If you're shooting an a7, then why not also add an a6000 for the reach? Yes, it's one more thing to carry... At least for my typical long lens travel work, a lot of it is distant subjects, so it's more about (near) infinity focus rather than bokeh quality.

I forgot how much I relied on the zoom's IS capability until I started using the 180/3.4. It's almost enough of a reason to get an a7II or rII for IBIS. I try to keep the 180 at 1/500 and higher, which seems to help.

I recently sold my Sony 70-200/4 in favor of the Leica R 180/2.8 apo. I would not have done so had I not bought the A7r2 as the IBIS makes hand holding practical at much slower shutter speeds. Have found handheld 1/60 to frequently be tack sharp.

Nov 05, 2015 at 02:13 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Smallest 200mm prime..

dpap1978 wrote:
How about the nikon 180mm 2.8 ais?

Shot with this lens for 15 years. Heavy; while impressively sharp and easy to focus (very bright in the VF), CA's are poorly controlled. Hard to lug around for long periods. Even short periods.

jcolwell wrote:
I agree with Ron that the Apo-Telyt-R 180/3.4 is (a bit) sharper across the frame than the EF 70-200/4L IS, but when shooting handheld, the f/4L IS usually produces better results.

Owned the R 180/3,4 for a while. Lighter and less unwieldy than the Nikkor but larger than the CV (had that one too); note that it's optimized for infinity focus where it excels-very high resolution, subdued color, but lower contrast than the others. The glass imparts a vague greenish cast (visible in shots including overcast skies). This was putatively to increase B&W image contrast but affects color rendition. Retains a startling amount of shadow detail even in low-light, something the Nikkor does not.

At near distances, very ordinary.

Nov 05, 2015 at 05:17 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Smallest 200mm prime..

f.hayek wrote:
Heavy and while impressively sharp and easy to focus (very bright), CA's are poorly controlled. Hard to lug around for long periods.

Owned the R 180/3,4 for a while. Lighter and less unwieldy than the Nikkor but larger than the CV (had that one too); note that it's optimized for infinity focus where it excels-very high resolution, subdued color, but lower contrast than the others. The glass has a vague greenish cast to increase B&W image contrast but affects color rendition. Retains an impressive amount of shadow detail even in low-light, something the Nikkor does not.

At near distances, very ordinary.

I don't know about that so much about very ordinary and sharpness at near distances and subdued color. Below is a heavily cropped image near the minimum focusing distance tripod mounted R 180mm f3.4 Apo Telyt set to about f11 and really little or no more processing in LR6 than my other R glass on my A7r.

Rich

Nov 05, 2015 at 05:29 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Smallest 200mm prime..

Nice image but with the focus peaking, you probably achieved better focus accuracy than I could on a D700. The green cast isn't visible on your image but can be seen with expanses of white. Still found the CV 180 sharper at close distances and rendering more accurate colors.

But we are speaking about lenses that all perform at a high level. They are all really special, some more special than others and others more specialized than some.

Nov 05, 2015 at 05:42 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Smallest 200mm prime..

f.hayek wrote:
Nice image but with the focus peaking, you probably achieved better focus accuracy than I could on a D700. The green cast isn't visible on your image but can be seen with expanses of white. Still found the CV 180 sharper at close distances and rendering more accurate colors.

But we are speaking about lenses that all perform at a high level. They are all really special, some more special than others and others more specialized than some.

Actually I cheated, I used and normally rely on Magnified view.

Rich

Nov 05, 2015 at 05:45 PM
hanay78
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Smallest 200mm prime..

very interesting table. I am going to try with the Oly f5. Let see how it performs.

jcolwell wrote:
Here's a table of small 180mm and 200mm Alt lenses, including the Elmar-R 200/4 mentioned above by Robin.

This was originally posted in a recent thread on the Contax Tele-Tessar 200/4, which has lots of relevant info for your thread.

Contax Tele-Tessar 4/200 ... https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1394027/0#13256174

Mar 27, 2019 at 05:07 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.