Metric4 by Nick Mitchell, on Flickr

Metric5 by Nick Mitchell, on Flickr

Metric9 by Nick Mitchell, on Flickr

Nov 01, 2015 at 11:56 PM
elorablue
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Emily Haines Concert

Ok, this is the third set of concert pics I've posted in the last couple of months and there hasn't been 1 comment on any of them. Now maybe it's because they're so good that they are beyond reproach or more likely they suck so large that no one can think of anything nice to say. So which one is it?

Nov 02, 2015 at 10:53 AM
kentvinyard
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Emily Haines Concert

Do not understand why no one has commented. I am not a concert photographer, but from my point of view I like the black and white ones best.

Nov 02, 2015 at 10:59 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Emily Haines Concert

Okay, I'll jump in. I do a decent amount of concert photography, and have had my portfolio reviewed by a great one, so I'll offer the same kind of comments that my reviewer gave to me. (But first, I'll say that overall these are good, if a bit tight. I think you need to offer some wider shots that show more context, in addition to these.) So here goes:

#1. I good shot, well exposed, showing action in her face. As above, I'd like a little broader shot if I could, depending on what's below her.

#2. An odd angle and a blurry hand. This is probably the weakest of the set.

#3. She isn't doing anything in this shot. Just a profile.

#4. I like this one. It's a "moment between moments", which I always try to get a few of during a performance. In this one, she's in a "receiving" mode, getting feedback from the audience.

#5. This one's okay, but there isn't the kind of energy in her face that I see in #1 and...

#6. This is your best shot of the bunch, along with the first. Though her eye is covered by her hair, there's a lot of energy here.

Hope these comments are what you're looking for.

Nov 02, 2015 at 11:12 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Emily Haines Concert

I pretty much agree with Steve. I'm unlikely to comment on concert pics unless they're amazeballs as that's just not my thing so I'm not sure I can really add anything helpful. For what's it worth, this falls under the "Less is More" category. Remove three pics, and this becomes a stronger stet. The only ones that I like here are 1, 4 and 6. I think it's a drag that your angle had something in the way, blocking part of your shot. I'm sure that limited what you were able to get.

Nov 02, 2015 at 11:19 AM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Emily Haines Concert

Nice photos - I also like the B&W. For what it's worth, I would propose a third explanation for the lack of comments: music tastes are a very personal thing. I have looked over several concert photo sets here on FM, and have only commented on one that was related to a favorite jazz musician. My music tastes are not mainstream, so a photo set of a musician in performance or posing for a photographer just doesn't get my juices flowing unless it's someone that I myself listen to and am passionate about. Having never heard of Emily before, I wouldn't have been motivated to post a comment. Likewise, as an example, if I got to hear and post concert pics of my (currently) favorite acoustic guitarist Tony McManus, I wouldn't expect to get any comments on them unless the photographic artistry of my pics were stellar in some way. Anyway, your question to us was thought provoking. Cheers!

Nov 02, 2015 at 11:20 AM
elorablue
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Emily Haines Concert

kentvinyard wrote:
Do not understand why no one has commented. I am not a concert photographer, but from my point of view I like the black and white ones best.

Thanks Kentvinyard for commenting. Appreciate it.

Nov 02, 2015 at 11:28 AM
elorablue
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Emily Haines Concert

Steve Wylie wrote:
Okay, I'll jump in. I do a decent amount of concert photography, and have had my portfolio reviewed by a great one, so I'll offer the same kind of comments that my reviewer gave to me. (But first, I'll say that overall these are good, if a bit tight. I think you need to offer some wider shots that show more context, in addition to these.) So here goes:

#1. I good shot, well exposed, showing action in her face. As above, I'd like a little broader shot if I could, depending on what's below her.

#2. An odd angle and
...Show more

Exactly what Im looking for. Many thanks Steve. I can see your points to all the shots and I will use your advice in the future. This was my very first attempt at concert shooting and I found it to be a big challenge. Due to a delay in delivery of my 70-200 2.8 I was forced to use my Sigma 24-105 which is only an f4.
I struggled with trying to get 'clean' shots , thinking that all the wiring and gear would take away from the shots. So i went tight. I see your point about being too tight though.

Thanks again

Nov 02, 2015 at 11:34 AM
elorablue
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Emily Haines Concert

Thanks friscoron. You've picked my personal favourites as well. Less is more is correct, should've kept it to the strongest 3 or 4.

Nov 02, 2015 at 11:36 AM
elorablue
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Emily Haines Concert

Shiva dancing wrote:
Nice photos - I also like the B&W. For what it's worth, I would propose a third explanation for the lack of comments: music tastes are a very personal thing. I have looked over several concert photo sets here on FM, and have only commented on one that was related to a favorite jazz musician. My music tastes are not mainstream, so a photo set of a musician in performance or posing for a photographer just doesn't get my juices flowing unless it's someone that I myself listen to and am passionate about. Having never heard of Emily before,
...Show more

Thanks Shiva. I completely understand your point.

Now, this you may not believe. I live in a very small town in Ontario, and guess who also lives here. Tony McManus !
I have had many pints at the pub with Tony. An excellent player needless to say.

The truly amazing thing is, he's the second best guitar player in town

Nov 02, 2015 at 11:41 AM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Emily Haines Concert

OK, who is the first best guitar player in Elora?!

And let Tony know next time you see him that we have to figure out how to get him scheduled for a concert in Bozeman Montana!

Nov 02, 2015 at 11:57 AM
elorablue
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Emily Haines Concert

Shiva dancing wrote:
OK, who is the first best guitar player in Elora?!

And let Tony know next time you see him that we have to figure out how to get him scheduled for a concert in Bozeman Montana!

I will certainly ask Tony if he feels like movin to Montana soon....

The first best guitar player in town would be Mr. Kevin Breit.

Kevin Breit b-w by Nick Mitchell, on Flickr

Nov 02, 2015 at 01:03 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.