Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

This is exciting news. iTTL transceivers for Nikon TT685, AD360II, X1: http://www.lightingrumours.com/nikon-godox-ad360ii-tt685-x1-7722 Can't wait to read reviews!

Nov 01, 2015 at 05:57 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

AA batteries...booooooo

Nov 01, 2015 at 06:27 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

joelconner wrote:
AA batteries...booooooo

Minor issue to deal with for the right to have a transceiver unit.

Nov 01, 2015 at 06:55 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

Once they add radios to the 860s it's game over

Nov 01, 2015 at 07:56 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Once they add radios to the 860s it's game over

What's the 860 and why is that so significant? What does it add that is not bring offered in these three product?

Nov 01, 2015 at 08:04 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

MRomine wrote:
What's the 860 and why is that so significant? What does it add that is not bring offered in these three product?

It's their standard speed light. Has a lithium battery (amazing!) so no AAs or external packs needed. Plus it fits Magmods.

Nov 01, 2015 at 08:10 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

Tony Hoffer wrote:
It's their standard speed light. Has a lithium battery (amazing!) so no AAs or external packs needed. Plus it fits Magmods.

MagMods should fit the 685 unless there is something that I'm unaware of. Granted the Lithium batteries would be nice but I'm more excited about the offering of another transceiver unit on the market for Nikon. So far Mitros + has been the only option. And although the radio triggers are unparalleled the performance of the actual flash has been less than stellar. Recycle times are poor, on-camera ttl is very inconsistent plus the price is $400.

Nov 01, 2015 at 08:20 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

Those lithium batteries are everything for me. I had to rent some speedlights this weekend because I had a disaster with my cheetahs that called for some repairs. It reminded me how awesome those lights are.

Nov 01, 2015 at 08:27 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

DannyBostwick wrote:
Those lithium batteries are everything for me. I had to rent some speedlights this weekend because I had a disaster with my cheetahs that called for some repairs. It reminded me how awesome those lights are.

Exactly. After a year or so of lithiums, AAs feels like the stone ages.

Nov 01, 2015 at 09:23 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

Lithium battery speedlight... interesting.... How are you guys triggering it? Any Nikon users?

And does it do TTL or otherwise remotely adjust power levels manually like the Flex system does w/ Nikon?

Nov 01, 2015 at 10:03 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

Nikon user here. Using Phottix Stratos II to trigger them. The push button trigger is so clutch. You can adjust them remotely, it's kinda of a cumbersome system to adjust them, there's a little gizmo that plugs into the side of cheetahs with a remote that looks like a pocket wizard. It works though, and if you have a good system of channels it works well.

Speaking to the lithium batteries, I spent my Saturday in a huge room, 1/2 power flashes all night and the recycle time was 100% consistent throughout and only used about 1/4 battery probably.

Nov 01, 2015 at 11:03 PM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

From what I gather the Godox system doesn't support HSS off camera is this correct?

Nov 01, 2015 at 11:21 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

"The push button trigger is so clutch."

What do you mean... push button trigger...?

Nov 01, 2015 at 11:45 PM
thoang77
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

TTLKurtis wrote:
Lithium battery speedlight... interesting.... How are you guys triggering it? Any Nikon users?

And does it do TTL or otherwise remotely adjust power levels manually like the Flex system does w/ Nikon?

It triggers with their own trigger (FT-16S) through a little receiver that plugs into the side of the speedlight (no additional batteries!). My setup right now is kind of clunky, but it enables me to use on camera flash. If anyone has better ideas, let me know.

Body 1: Longer lens, YN622, FT-16 (optional)
Body 2: Wider lens, YN622, SB-900
2x 850 speedlights off-camera
Elsewhere: YN-622 + FT-16 (usually on one of the stands)

The YN units on camera trigger the off-camera YN unit that fires the 850 speedlights. I would need 2 FT-16 units anyway to fire on both bodies, but then that doesn't allow an on-camera flash. The FT-16 that I list as optional can either go on-camera or in a pocket/bag, and is used merely to control flash power.

(as I finished writing this, I realize I might not need the trigger combo off-camera, but I'm not sure about that quite yet, since triggering a YN unit that's on a camera from the other could be weird)

As for TTL, they do offer a TTL version now, the v860N (or Neewer TT860N or Flashpoint Li-on TTL), but I have no experience with it. I don't think you can use them for TTL off-camera without a TTL trigger like any other flash though, if that's what you're wondering (unlike the canon RT or Mitros+).

ryan21 wrote:
From what I gather the Godox system doesn't support HSS off camera is this correct?

Sort of. Out of the box with the standard FT-16s trigger/receiver set it doesnt support HSS. It is a HSS compatible flash however, so if you use another HSS trigger (Yongnuo 622 or Pocketwizard) under the trigger, it becomes HSS compatible, kind of weird but it works.

Nov 02, 2015 at 01:40 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

Godox does support HSS if you get the ttl version. The cl360 and godox version also support HSS with the right triggers.

I don't know anything about no push button triggers.

I used flashpoints (Adorama's version of Godox/Neewer/Cheetah...) this season in conjunction with a cheetah 360. I had 2 manual units, and 2 ttl units. The ttls work like normal ttl flashes, but also function the same as the manual units when in manual mode. In most situations where I did not need HSS I used the godox trigger which worked fine in most situations provided I did not stray too far. I would switch to youngnuo triggers when I needed hss or further distance from the light which was pretty rare.

I'd probably toss my youngnuo triggers if I could get the groups to work with the godox triggers. The receivers have 1-4 binary switches that are really tiny that I think control groups, but I couldn't get it to work for the life of me.

Nov 02, 2015 at 01:42 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

TTLKurtis wrote:
"The push button trigger is so clutch."

What do you mean... push button trigger...?

Sorry, I meant push button groupings, little typo there. On the back of the Stratto II trigger you can choose which flash is firing. You set the group channel on the reciever (A-B-C-D), then on the trigger there are buttons on the back that allow you to choose which group is turned on. That way if your using them as hair lights you can turn them on and off as you move through the room or if your cross lighting, you can can set up 4 different lights and just switch on whatever ones you need at the moment, You can do the with a lot of other reciever/trigger combos (I've not used many other ones so I can't speak to the ease of doing this with other brands) but this one is just so fast and easy. No cycling through menus or anything. Between that and the lithium batteries, the canon flash system can suck it. I thought I'd miss it, but this one has so many more upsides then quick change of power.

Nov 02, 2015 at 09:15 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Exactly. After a year or so of lithiums, AAs feels like the stone ages.

That is nice and all but the advantage of a transceiver unit for me, out weighs waiting for a unit that has Lithium batteries. I far prefer having the triggers built into the flash vs having a flash perched up on top of a trigger and then on top of the camera. Having a separate trigger introduces at least the weight of two more AAA or in some cases two more AA plus extending the height and therefore the torque created by elevating the flash above the camera body. Not good for the life of the hot-shoe on a D750. Yeah, I would love some Lithium in my life but having built-in transceivers is far more important to me. If these things get great reviews with good recycle times then I will be all over them.

Nov 02, 2015 at 09:19 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

DannyBostwick wrote:
Nikon user here. Using Phottix Stratos II to trigger them. The push button trigger is so clutch. You can adjust them remotely, it's kinda of a cumbersome system to adjust them, there's a little gizmo that plugs into the side of cheetahs with a remote that looks like a pocket wizard. It works though, and if you have a good system of channels it works well.

Speaking to the lithium batteries, I spent my Saturday in a huge room, 1/2 power flashes all night and the recycle time was 100% consistent throughout and only used about 1/4 battery probably.

The Photoix Stratos are nice but then introduce more weight and more height to the on-camera flash plus another type of battery, AAA. All the flash guns use AA so now you have to carry two kinds of batteries. Although the Strators are very reliable radio triggers you have no remote power level controls with them. Just on/off controls. The beauty fo a transceiver unit is that you can remotely control power levels, zoom head magnification and on/off.

Nov 02, 2015 at 09:24 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

thoang77 wrote:
It triggers with their own trigger (FT-16S) through a little receiver that plugs into the side of the speedlight (no additional batteries!). My setup right now is kind of clunky, but it enables me to use on camera flash. If anyone has better ideas, let me know.

From what I gather, the beauty of this new system is that it no longer requires the external trigger (FT-16S), everything is now built-in.

Nov 02, 2015 at 09:26 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Good News For Nikon Shooters and OCF - Godox!

MRomine wrote:
That is nice and all but the advantage of a transceiver unit for me, out weighs waiting for a unit that has Lithium batteries. I far prefer having the triggers built into the flash vs having a flash perched up on top of a trigger and then on top of the camera. Having a separate trigger introduces at least the weight of two more AAA or in some cases two more AA plus extending the height and therefore the torque created by elevating the flash above the camera body. Not good for the life of the hot-shoe on a D750.
...Show more

Well I think in a perfect world, all flashes would have built in radios. I used the Canon 600 system for years and dumped it in favor of the Cheetah/Godox flashes. Ultimately, the lithium batteries were more important to me than a radio system. Not only is the battery life incredible, but there's no need for external packs. It may not seem like a big deal if you've never used them, but trust me, it's amazing.

Nov 02, 2015 at 10:06 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.