Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Rules & Guidelines | Uninsured Payment Alert!
How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

NEVER use Paypal Gift, Venmo, Zelle, Apple Pay, Google Pay or any other uninsured payment!

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Withdrawn: Gitzo G1257 Carbon Tripod Xtras

BPochman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Withdrawn: Gitzo G1257 Carbon Tripod Xtras

Item updated in the last 24 hours Item price reduced in the last 24 hours   Gitzo G1257 Carbon Tripod Bag Custom Carry Storage Xtras Tall Shooter

Withdrawn

Price: $325.00
Payment method: PayPal
Item condition: 9 Shows signs of use, but very clean
Shipping instructions: Price Net to me (shipping by fedex and payment by paypal)

This Gitzo Mountaineer Reporter 6X G1257 is a great tripod, especially for a taller person (I'm 6'3"). It has 3 section legs, which makes it a bit stronger than the 4 section version, and faster/easier to set up and take down. In addition to a custom perfectly fitted padded storage/carry bag, I've added a custom soft sleeve and a custom carry strap (and a custom weather cover that works with it) that makes it easy to always have it with you.

Even with the tripods size, I found it easy to take with me and appreciated it's size, strength, ease-of-use, and quick set-up/take-down - largely due to the custom extras. I should state that one hobby is upgrading photo gear, toward which I have a compact industrial sewing machine.

This tripod model is one of Gitzo's good ones, and it gets the reviews to back that up. It provides a great trade-off as to size, weight, strength, and set up/take down speed. It has the ALR (Anti Leg Rotation) and HIS (Hybrid Interconnecting System) features, max heights of 63" (column up) / 54" (column down), folds to 26", weighs 3 lbs, and has a load rating of 18 lbs.

This one is in great shape, with everything tight and/or smooth. I kept the twist locks clean (easy to do) and took good care of it - and don't smoke. I would rate it as 9 to 9.5 out of 10. I should point out that many reviews point out the advantages of the ALR leg feature - which I would endorse (and not be without).

The tripod has two different top plates. The original one is 70 mm in diameter. I like to use a rubber strap wrench to tighten/loosen a head (so it doesn't put any stress on the panoramic knob) and it would not work very well on this tripod as the original plate stuck out much further than the base of the head I used. I got a smaller Gitzo plate that is a newer design and only 46mm in diameter - and it works great for my purposes. The buyer gets both of them and will be able to choose the one they prefer. They are shown together close-up in one photo.

I really like this tripod, and am only selling it as I just got a new Gitzo. Relative to the custom extras, they add a great deal by allowing the tripod to be always available yet protected whatever the circumstances. The three are as follows:

For carrying the tripod/head attached to a backpack or over the shoulder with the custom carry strap (both of which are how I carried it - I never used the bag in the field) I made a grey rip-stop nylon sleeve with a velcro closure that protects the unit from rain and dust/dirt. It is very easy to use - and it folds down to nothing for storage in a bag or pack when not in use.

For heavy duty storage or carrying it in the field in a much more protected manner (either by itself in two different ways across the shoulders with a strap, or attached to a backpack without the strap) I also modified a well padded relatively thin storage/carry bag that perfectly fits the legs with a head. I reinforced the zipper with velcro closures, and added D rings 2/3 of the way along the bags length that allows it to be carried vertically at the waist. This makes it easy to carry along with a shoulder bag. The tripod is carried head down. The bag can also be carried across the shoulders using the same strap and D rings about 1/4 of the way from one end.

For light storage or carrying it in a light stand type bag with other gear (which I did) I made a soft sleeve of padded cloth that takes seconds to put the tripod in or take out yet protects it without adding any bulk. I would carry 2 or 3 tripods in a light stand bag and all were in the same type sleeves.

Please note that the ballhead shown in a few photos is for reference only, and not included. Also included, but not shown in the photos, is a parts diagram/list for the tripod.

I can send more photos if given a direct email address as I also have it listed in my local CL, where I can post more photos. Shipping will be by Priority Mail or FedEx (to the continental US only) and payment by PayPal. The price shown will be net to me. I live near Seattle (98040).

Final details can be worked out via PM, which I prefer because of the way my email program handles the regular ones without date/time info. I'm retired and around home most of the time, and will respond to most PM's promptly.

Oct 31, 2015 at 08:34 PM

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.