Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Westmont College Volleyball

Nuchuga
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Westmont College Volleyball

Last night was my schools biggest game of year and i was assigned to shoot it so here are a few of the shots from the game! I was limited to the confines of my camera and lenses however I am happy with the results! C&C welcome!

© Kurtz Photography 2015

1. EOS-1D MKIII 24mm f/4 1/250 2500 ISO

© Kurtz Photography 2015

2. EOS-1D MKIII 85mm f/1.8 1/500 2000 ISO

© Kurtz Photography 2015

3. EOS-1D MKIII 200mm f/2.8 1/500 2000 ISO

© Kurtz Photography 2015

4. EOS-1D MKIII 24mm f/4 1/250 3200 ISO

© Kurtz Photography 2015

5. EOS-1D MKIII 28mm f/4 1/250 3200 ISO

Oct 31, 2015 at 02:25 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Westmont College Volleyball

Great job, I love #1!

Oct 31, 2015 at 03:20 PM
Nuchuga
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Westmont College Volleyball

svassh wrote:
Great job, I love #1!

Thank you!

Oct 31, 2015 at 05:02 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Westmont College Volleyball

All of your actions shots are underexposed by quite a bit. You'll want to raise the ISO as high as you can and deal with noise in post-processing. Just one of the things that makes VB challenging to shoot.

Nov 01, 2015 at 09:25 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Westmont College Volleyball

I agree, underexposed. I love the shot from below but the black uniforms against the black ceiling makes me lose it, try pushing up the black point

Nov 01, 2015 at 09:51 AM
Nuchuga
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Westmont College Volleyball

rolette wrote:
All of your actions shots are underexposed by quite a bit. You'll want to raise the ISO as high as you can and deal with noise in post-processing. Just one of the things that makes VB challenging to shoot.

How would I got about fixing noise in PP?

Nov 01, 2015 at 09:30 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Westmont College Volleyball

Nuchuga wrote:

What do you use to post process? Typically it's done with sharpening. Also look at the shutter speeds others use for volleyball, typically 800 or 1000. I think you will have trouble pushing the 1D III past ISO 3200. I'm normally at 6400 with the 7D II and clean up the noise in Lightroom.

Nov 01, 2015 at 11:49 PM
Nuchuga
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Westmont College Volleyball

svassh wrote:
What do you use to post process? Typically it's done with sharpening. Also look at the shutter speeds others use for volleyball, typically 800 or 1000. I think you will have trouble pushing the 1D III past ISO 3200. I'm normally at 6400 with the 7D II and clean up the noise in Lightroom.

I almost always try to push 1/1000 however with the MKIII, pushing past 3200 is rough so i keep it more in the 640-800 range. And with the wide angle shots, i was shooting at f4 hence the 1/250 speed. Doing my best despite limitations! And i use Photoshop and Lightroom!

Nov 02, 2015 at 01:47 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Westmont College Volleyball

Nuchuga wrote:

Depends on what you use to process your photos. I do 99% of my PP in Lightroom. The noise reduction tools in LR are quite good.

That said, when shooting high-ISO at the limit of your camera's capability, you can do a couple of things in camera to help the noise situation significantly:

1) Make sure you nail the exposure in camera. On Canon bodies, as long as you aren't using one of the H* ISO settings, underexposing in camera and correcting in PP results in more noise than if you just used a higher ISO in the first place.

2) Fill the frame and limit cropping as much as possible.

Jay

Nov 02, 2015 at 07:06 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Westmont College Volleyball

svassh wrote:

No, it's not sharpening that cleans up noise. In Lightroom, you are using the various Noise Reduction sliders.

Nov 02, 2015 at 07:09 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Westmont College Volleyball

rolette wrote:
No, it's not sharpening that cleans up noise. In Lightroom, you are using the various Noise Reduction sliders.

You are right, could not remember the slider names. I have a standard preset I apply at iso 6400.

Nov 02, 2015 at 07:54 AM
jcnemy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Westmont College Volleyball

Nuchuga wrote:
Last night was my schools biggest game of year and i was assigned to shoot it so here are a few of the shots from the game! I was limited to the confines of my camera and lenses however I am happy with the results! C&C welcome!

Thanks for sharing and providing different perspectives....really like shot #1...which has me thinking of different shot looks.

I'm thinking my last volleyball opportunity this year is Wednesday - so need to review my shot list and these help, thanks.

JC

Nov 02, 2015 at 09:35 PM
Nuchuga
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Westmont College Volleyball

jcnemy wrote:
Thanks for sharing and providing different perspectives....really like shot #1...which has me thinking of different shot looks.

I'm thinking my last volleyball opportunity this year is Wednesday - so need to review my shot list and these help, thanks.

JC

Absolutely! Im no VB pro however ive began to hone in my understanding of the game! Depending on how close you can get, those jumps shots are rad and its easily achievable. Just pre focus on the net and then put the camera on the ground and shoot upwards! Good luck!

Nov 02, 2015 at 09:54 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.