Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

incrediblehark
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

Hello Everyone,

I apologize if similar posts have come up before, but I've been racking my brain trying to decide on a filter system and can't seem to find the info I need to help me with my decision.

I currently own the 14-24 and the 20 1.8G and use them quite a lot for landscapes. I'm at the point now where I'd like to get a filter system and would prefer one that I can use across all of my lenses. I've been looking into the Wonderpana Freearc kit and can't seem to find any info from others who use it on their other lenses, via the 77mm adapter for example. Is anyone using the Wonderpana on smaller lenses? If so, any issues or comments about it's use?

I'm debating this decision entirely, only because the overall price of the Wonderpana is easily double what the Lee Foundation kit would be for my 20mm. Although I wouldn't be able to use filters on my 14-24 if I made that choice, so it's a tough one.

I'm looking for some insight into something I might be missing (like a different solution), or a push in either direction from a user who's made a similar decision?

Thanks in advance for the help, it's very much appreciated!

Adam

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:09 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

Two totally different filter setups. As for the 14-24mm there was just a thread on it, so just scroll down the page you will find plenty of info.

And for the record, the wonderpana system, or any system that would work with the 14-24mm uses huge huge filters. The polarizer is a 145mm, which is like 6" in diameter. The filters are like 6"x8". Which is fine on the 14-24mm but would be crazy to hang onto a the 20mm, I sure wouldn't do it. I have the Lee Filter system for my normal filter sized lenses, and the Wonderpana for the 14-24mm.

Jim

PS. Use the Search function and you will find lot's of valuable info in here.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:30 AM
dlabrecque
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

I'm afraid there aren't any really elegant solutions to this particular problem. When Nikon first came out with their 14-24, they engineered a marvel, but I think because it's sharpness was affected somewhat by external filters, they probably decided not to waste time working on that design issue. Third party manufacturers eventually came up with various solutions, but they've all had to scale their products to work around that super large element at the end of that beast. My experience lies mainly with Lee, and although I know they make an adapter to their 14-24 system so can work with smaller conventional lenses, I simply bought their smaller system to use with the other lenses I own. Frankly, having both systems doesn't add that much weight to your camera bag so much as the extra space both systems take up in it. I just try to decide what I'll need for a particular location and pack accordingly.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:53 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

You have to realize that the 14-24mm lens is the odd man out among all Nikon lenses.

The 20mm will use 77mm filters, which is a common "pro" size which works on many lenses.

But the 14-24mm is a unique lens. It requires specialty filter kits.

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:15 AM
incrediblehark
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

Thanks for the comments guys. I was afraid some of you were going to suggest both systems, that's most likely the best option in the long run.

I'm still curious if anyone is using the wonderpana system on smaller lenses?

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:30 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

I wonder if the system designed for the 14-24 could also be used with the new Sigma 20mm 1.4 since it appears it doesn't have threads and a bulbous front element as well.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:35 PM
incrediblehark
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

m.sommers00 wrote:
I wonder if the system designed for the 14-24 could also be used with the new Sigma 20mm 1.4 since it appears it doesn't have threads and a bulbous front element as well.

I was wondering the same thing! I can't wait to see what that lens is like. The wonderpana would be a wise choice to use on future UWA lenses like the new Sigma.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Oct 31, 2015 at 01:14 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

I can tell you what I did...

When I had a Zeiss 21, Zeiss 18 and 14-24, I just used separate filters for them. The size difference was just too great to hassle with. So, the WonderPana stayed with the 14-24 and I just used regular filters (or a filter system if you prefer) on my more "normal" lenses.

That said, once I was able to use filters on my 14-24, I simply didn't use any of the other glass anymore.

Oct 31, 2015 at 02:17 PM
incrediblehark
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

Thanks for the info Steve, much appreciated.

Nov 01, 2015 at 06:43 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

I've commented to the maker of this video that, while extremely insightful on the Wonderpana, it also contains the most humorous part of any photography I've ever seen.

He spends about, eh, I think 60 seconds screwing the filter on, then says, "There, that's all there is to it!"

It's funny to me because spending 1 or 2 minutes extra to get a better image is fine for landscape photography, but for shooting formals at a wedding, this would cause people to have an emotional breakdown, or at the very least write career-ending negative reviews about you.

Nov 01, 2015 at 08:54 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

incrediblehark wrote:
I'm still curious if anyone is using the wonderpana system on smaller lenses?

Yes, with the 82mm adapter (and a 77mm-82mm step-up ring if required).

It is mostly useful for deliberate photography where you have some time, because a 145mm filter on a 35mm lens - or any lens other than the 14-24 and similar - looks weird.

Sample on a 35mm t/s below. This has a 10-stop ND and a polarizer on it:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/382/18470417673_2e84af40bc_b.jpg

Try it on your 20. If you don't like it, then get some filters specifically for the 20mm (or just replace the 20mm with the 14-24). All you have to lose is the adapter, which isn't too spendy.

I got it mostly for the ND. 10-stop ND's are pricey (especially 145mm ones), and having bought one, I wanted to be able to use it on other lenses. Anytime I'm using a 10-stop filter, there isn't any hurry to get the image setup!

Nov 01, 2015 at 10:29 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

I use a thin set of filters on my 24-70mm and 18-35mm lenses and if I had the 20mm lens I would use these on it as well. I use the thicker type on my 70-200mm and 80-400mm lenses. The 14-24mm is a special case and I evaluated the flexibility to use different filters and ease of use for common applications as when using a polarizing filter and a hood as compared to using a ND filter and needing to pre-focus and then slip in the filter and shoot.

I went with the Wonderpana based on my own needs. It is not the most compact way to go by any means but the added flexibility was more important to me and the deciding factor. Actually it is nice after nearly 7 years using this lens to have options available for using filters. A good problem to have.

Nov 01, 2015 at 02:10 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

Nikon_14 wrote:

I've commented to the maker of this video that, while extremely insightful on the Wonderpana, it also contains the most humorous part of any photography I've ever seen.

He spends about, eh, I think 60 seconds screwing the filter on, then says, "There, that's all there is to it!"

It's funny to me because spending 1 or 2 minutes extra to get a better image is fine for landscape photography, but for shooting formals at a wedding, this would cause people to have an emotional breakdown, or at the very least write career-ending negative reviews about you.

I resemble that remark

The good news is the new version is supposedly MUCH easier to assemble. I've thought about switching, but I never take the mount off, so it doesn't bother me enough to spend the cash.

Nov 01, 2015 at 06:09 PM
incrediblehark
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

I really appreciate all the comments everyone.

Nov 01, 2015 at 08:39 PM
incrediblehark
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

I wanted to say thanks for the input from everyone. I have decided to get both systems, starting with the Lee 100mm system now, and the WonderPana system closer to the new year.

Cheers,

Adam

Nov 02, 2015 at 08:01 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

m.sommers00 wrote:

Wouldn't the issue be more the diameter of the lens than the bulbous front end (though of course it will require a square filter kit) ? If the diameters are not the same then the kits for the 14-24 may not fit the 20mm.

Nov 02, 2015 at 09:13 AM
cosmicnode

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

I am in the process of buying a filter setup for my 14-24, I have bought a Nisi filter holder so far and their optional 77mm adaptor, this adaptor should work on any of the filter systems for the all seeing eye. The quality of the items is very good, still waiting to receive the filters, but I now have a setup that can also be used on my 24-70 and 70-200.

Nov 07, 2015 at 12:19 AM
incrediblehark
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · UWA Filter Help Please (14-24 & 20)

cosmicnode wrote:
I am in the process of buying a filter setup for my 14-24, I have bought a Nisi filter holder so far and their optional 77mm adaptor, this adaptor should work on any of the filter systems for the all seeing eye. The quality of the items is very good, still waiting to receive the filters, but I now have a setup that can also be used on my 24-70 and 70-200.

I'm curious to hear from you once you have the filters and take some pics with it. I'm waiting on my Nisi 100mm V3 system to arrive for my other lenses, like you I've considered the Nisi system for my 14-24 and I would be interested in the results you get.

Nov 07, 2015 at 01:05 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.