New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · ?? Smaller, travel tripods

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ?? Smaller, travel tripods

I've been talking and sharing about tripods and ball heads lately but wanted to start a new thread on this one. I can already feel the eyes rolling but I really need some feedback about these lightweight tripods. I have the Induro CLT103 set up in my office. I just got it. At first I just thought, "no way." But I'd really like to know if I'm overreacting, as my only other experience with tripods is the RRS 24L and now the RRS 33S.

Of course, I know it is a one series, is smaller, lighter, etc. I bought it as a hiking/lighter gear support. I think I just wasn't prepared for how much lighter and, for lack of a better word, "flimsy" it seemed. The leg sections were very loose as I extended them (they basically just fall out), which is the exact opposite of the RRS legs. They flex more. I know this intellectually is to be expected but I have to ask, is this how they all are? Induros have a pretty strong following and reputation, and I've never seen or used these smaller pods. Perhaps one of you has used or seen the new Induro one series, and could reply.

Thanks, folks - Sharon

Oct 30, 2015 at 04:27 PM
binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ?? Smaller, travel tripods

I'll let you know how I feel about smaller/lighter when my Sirui T-1205X gets here next week

My current tripod is actually reasonably light (it's a Feisol CT-3401) but the reality is that there are still some places where something that's 19" long collapsed and (with head) nearly 4 lbs. still isn't going to be convenient.

The leg sections falling out seems more indicative of loose tolerances than a small tripod.

Oct 31, 2015 at 08:23 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ?? Smaller, travel tripods

Thank you! Do let me know. When you say loose tolerances do you mean it's normal for the tripod or that it may be faulty? I think I may check in with Induro on this. I haven't taken it outdoors yet, but it's growing on me. I think I just wasn't used to the smaller ones, and like I said, I know intellectually they aren't going to feel like a two or three series tripod.

Oct 31, 2015 at 09:38 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ?? Smaller, travel tripods

My Sirui 1205x works well and is a snap to set up. If you loosen the leg locks, the leg sections do just"fall" out. It makes things easy to set up--just twist all the locks at once and then tighten one at a time, then on to next leg and repeat.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:11 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ?? Smaller, travel tripods

I took the Induro out into the backyard this evening, and it performs pretty well, actually. Once I got used to the lighter weight, size, etc. I even used my BH-55 on it lol, as that is the only ball head I have at the moment. (I'm sending the Induro head back.) I think I'm going to give it a chance. The one thing that does give me trouble is the leg angle postioning ratchet at the top. RRS pods ratchet with a click and you know it's in place. This one you have just eyeball and make sure the legs are at the same angle.

Oct 31, 2015 at 07:52 PM
binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ?? Smaller, travel tripods

Well, my Sirui T-1205X legs and K-10X head arrived today and I'm very impressed with the quality. It's obviously a 5 section tripod that's a 30% decrease in weight from my other setup but it's surprisingly sturdy given that constraint.

The ratchet mechanism on the legs is nice, it's got an anti-leg rotation mechanism, it came with a pretty impressive storage bag and the head is pretty good. The clamp mechanism and arca plates are clearly not quite up to the quality of the Markins I have but the base/ball is damn nice, and for $100 it seems like a steal.

I know they're little things, but it came with a high quality bag sized for the specific tripod, the center column extension tube came in a little silk pouch, and the head came in a nice neoprene drawstring pouch. And it came with an arca plate. These things matter - I don't have to find or buy a bag for the tripod or the head, and I needed another arca plate.

I'm genuinely excited to take about a pound and a half out of my hiking pack AND reduce the height by so much (this is about 7"+ shorter than my Feisol CT-3401 + Markins Q10i).

Nov 04, 2015 at 03:13 PM
bobmcg
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ?? Smaller, travel tripods

I've had the Sirui as well and think quite highly of it. Took it hiking on a trip to the Dupont State Forest. I thought it was excellent. However, I did not use any lens heavier than a Sigma 35 and Nikon 14-24mm. YMMV.

Nov 04, 2015 at 08:49 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ?? Smaller, travel tripods

Thanks for reporting back. I actually think I'm going to enjoy this Induro, as well. Took it out in pretty windy conditions this evening and it did fine! I don't do extensive hiking so don't need the folded shorter length, etc.

Nov 04, 2015 at 09:54 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.