Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · What do you do when the field gets REALLY dark?

JMDobson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What do you do when the field gets REALLY dark?

I've been shooting in pretty dark football fields all season, but there is one stadium that keeps giving me trouble. I'll show a couple examples so you can see the exif. How do you deal with these types of places when you need to get the shot? All of these photos are with a flash on TTL -1 stop and HSS on.

You can see here just how much light is lost in the endzone

Oct 30, 2015 at 02:43 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What do you do when the field gets REALLY dark?

If shooting flash, the darker the better as its easier cause you dont have to try and balance the ambient with the flash, I am usually in the ISO range of 4-6000, ss at sync, at f4 to f2.8, shooting with a 400 2.8. ETTL, no reason you should be that high on ISO when shooting flash. Sometimes I am at ISO 10000, f2.8, and ss at 640-800 if I am shooting hi speed flash, but not a lot

Andy

Oct 30, 2015 at 03:33 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What do you do when the field gets REALLY dark?

Nothing you can do. I think you did an awesome job. I would have never guessed 51.2 ISO. Colors are still intact and it's well exposed.

Oct 30, 2015 at 04:39 PM
bpalermini
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What do you do when the field gets REALLY dark?

Looks to me like you know what to do. That is a dark field.

A few things to try: I might bump my shutter speed down a bit and see what you think. My lower limit is 1/640 for football. Two clicks on shutter speed and two clicks on ISO might be a bit better. Also, you have to chase the ball around so that you minimize cropping.

You could try flash as the main light but I have never been happy with my results. I like the HSS fill light result.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:49 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What do you do when the field gets REALLY dark?

Looks good, though I would shoot at 1/500th sec. before bumping up the ISO. Heck, back in the film era, I've even shot at 1/250th sec--though with the knowledge that a significant percentage of the images would be soft.

Man, I love digital!

Oct 31, 2015 at 03:33 PM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What do you do when the field gets REALLY dark?

If it's really dark, I go opposite of what you are doing and use flash as my main light. My settings for a dark field are: shoot in manual mode with shutter speed at 250 or what your camera sync is, F3.5 or F4, flash on ETTL, ISO 640 or 800. Make sure that your exposure is about 2 stops below ambient.

Here's a couple with those settings:

https://jrlsphotos.smugmug.com/Photography/Fred-Miranda-postings/Fred-Miranda-postings/i-FHn7kZf/0/L/NQ1U5856-L.jpg

https://jrlsphotos.smugmug.com/Photography/Fred-Miranda-postings/Fred-Miranda-postings/i-9brg75F/0/L/M3JS0446-L.jpg

Nov 01, 2015 at 01:27 PM
JMDobson
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What do you do when the field gets REALLY dark?

I gave this another shot at a field Tuesday. Here's some of the results. The problem was I had a tight deadline so I was only able to shoot one quarter.

Nov 05, 2015 at 10:06 AM
JMDobson
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What do you do when the field gets REALLY dark?

more photos

Nov 05, 2015 at 10:06 AM
PureMichigan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What do you do when the field gets REALLY dark?

I have dealt with a similar terrible low-light situation all season. It's exacerbated this time of the year in the Midwest when the sun has set an hour before game time -- and by the way -- it's the playoffs.

I walk the field before the game with a light meter to find the few light islands "hot spots" and just focusing in the action that happens to roll through those area. I've dropped my SS 1/750 and my ISO still tops 12,000. Lots of duds, the dimly lit end zones are no-shoot zones, lots of missed action, no portfolio candidates but a few keepers.

Like you I'm shooting with a D3S but use a 300MM 2.8.

Nov 05, 2015 at 02:59 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What do you do when the field gets REALLY dark?

I like the 2nd set better, here are a few from one of my worst schools that I cover. If shooting ambient I am at ISO 12800 f2.8 and somewhere around SS of 640, and that is in the bright spots of the field, With the worst cycling lights you will see. For these shots I was around 4-6000 ISO, f4, and SS at sync, flash set to ETTL

Andy

Nov 06, 2015 at 01:21 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.