New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

cgarciajr

[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

My 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens stopped working a few days ago, it looks like a stuck aperture, and I have to send it in. Does anyone have any experience with the Newport News, VA center or the Jamesburg, NJ center or have a recommendation on the center I should use? I'm in Ohio so those two are the closest. I'm hoping this isn't going to cost too much, or cost nothing at all. I'm a little upset because the lens was purchased 3/2014 and has been babied, it's my only L lens and I paid full price. Oh well, I have to get it fixed either way.

Thanks.

Oct 29, 2015 at 05:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the lens?

Oct 29, 2015 at 06:11 PM
hotdog12
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

I've had very good service every time I used the NJ CPS center. I haven't had to send anything in the last few years (thank gawd!), but they did a great job on several disasters over the decades: lenses knocked out of alignment to a 1D II with a smashed in pentaprism to a 16-35 f/2.8 I snapped in two to a 300 f/2.8 with a fried circuit board.

Oct 29, 2015 at 06:20 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

Canon New Jersey.

Oct 29, 2015 at 06:44 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

I have used Newport News several times over the years for various repairs, not just clean & checks.
They have done a great job. Once the tech even called me to clarify the work order.
I am a bit spoiled living 30 minutes down the road. I can drop it off to save shipping/insurance fees. They are exceptionally nice greeting you.

David

Oct 29, 2015 at 07:36 PM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

I had some long drawn-out problems with Canon New Jersey Prior to being a CPS member.

As a Florida resident, I now use the Virginia division, & recently sent a 7D-2 / 100-400L-2 for Calibration, & some AF/sensor issues.
The transaction went well, "reasonable" down-time, & improvements seem to be functioning properly. How they are "over the long term"--can't say.

Leigh

Oct 30, 2015 at 09:31 AM
kemo681
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

cgarciajr wrote:
My 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens stopped working a few days ago, it looks like a stuck aperture, and I have to send it in. Does anyone have any experience with the Newport News, VA center or the Jamesburg, NJ center or have a recommendation on the center I should use? I'm in Ohio so those two are the closest. I'm hoping this isn't going to cost too much, or cost nothing at all. I'm a little upset because the lens was purchased 3/2014 and has been babied, it's my only L lens and I paid full price. Oh well,
...Show more

I am sure that you will get good service at either place. However, for some items, they may transfer the item to another repair place. For example, my 60D had an autofocusing issue and it was shipped to Canon Irvine. However, the actual repair took place in the New Jersey facility.

Oct 31, 2015 at 07:08 AM
tomlamb47

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

I've sent a 1D4 for a C&C and a 70-200 II for repair to Newport News and got quick turnaround (CPS) and I'm very satisfied with the service there. I joined CPS and saved the cost of membership with the discount on my repair.

Oct 31, 2015 at 05:06 PM
RAF09
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

Canon NJ has been very good for me, fast and done right the first time. Online set up of a work order and shipping label couldn't be easier. I know its out of warranty but you can request a quote or have someone call you with estimate or scope of work.

Oct 31, 2015 at 05:24 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

I have used Newport for 5 years, or more. Never had a problem with them... Jim

Oct 31, 2015 at 05:46 PM
cgarciajr

[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

Thanks guys, I guess it's a toss up. I'll probably send the lens to NJ for no other reason than it is more of a direct route. They are both about the same distance away.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:12 PM
Carolyn681
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

I recently sent two bodies in for repair of autofocus issues to our closest Canon Factory Service Center, Costa Mesa, CA. The 7DII was being sent for the second time and the 60D for the first time. Bodies were purchased in April and June of this year and so still under warranty. The Costa Mesa center kept the 7DII and did the needed work onsite but shipped the 60D to Jamesburg, NJ. No explanation from Canon why it was shipped to NJ. Carolyn

Nov 01, 2015 at 08:42 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

cgarciajr wrote:
Thanks guys, I guess it's a toss up. I'll probably send the lens to NJ for no other reason than it is more of a direct route. They are both about the same distance away.

You should call them first. Depends where you live they may tell you which facility to use.

Nov 01, 2015 at 02:11 PM
cgarciajr

[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

Just a quick update, I sent the lens to Virginia a couple of days ago. The fix, replace the lens power diaphragm assembly. The damage: $350, of that $270 was for out of warranty labor, $14 for return shipping, $53 for part, and the rest for taxes. I'm now on the fence about selling the lens, should I? Does having a lens that has been serviced affect the resale value? I love the lens but can't afford to have it fail and fixed again and now I'm paranoid about my other lenses as the 24-70mm was babied. Opinions or what I would do appreciated.

Dec 02, 2015 at 01:51 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

I'd just use your lenses. It's gear, and sometimes gear breaks even if you don't drop it.

I would not buy a new lens and sell the old one simply due to possible spontaneous breakdowns and subsequent repair costs. Odds are that would probably be the more expensive option. If repair of an old used item is over 50% of a brand new item, consider selling it for parts and buy brand new. This assumes the item will continue to periodically break down due to age.

If you can't ever be without a particular lens or body, then you need to buy backup gear.

I wouldn't worry about the resale value if it is a lens you are using. Use it. But to answer your question, I might consider the lens slightly more valuable since it has been recently inspected, serviced, and has new parts. A lens that was repaired after major impact damage of fungus might be a different story.

David

Dec 02, 2015 at 03:36 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

I would get it repaired. As dgdg said, there is simply no way to predict a failure of components and a new one is not a guarantee that nothing will happen to it.

As far as the different service centers go, if you read the forums you will find that all of them have somebody that wasn't happy with them at some point. There isn't much to be drawn from it. It's like people wanting a recommendation on what storage cards to buy. No company has a perfect tract record.

Dec 02, 2015 at 04:12 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

I have always liked New Jersey.

Dec 02, 2015 at 06:23 PM
Thinh phan

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

i have SV in NJ remember you can make a deal for % off . ihave 2 times with 25% off for good deal

Dec 02, 2015 at 08:05 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

New Yersey.

Dec 03, 2015 at 07:05 AM
Methodical
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon Factory Service Recommendations

dgdg wrote:
I have used Newport News several times over the years for various repairs, not just clean & checks.
They have done a great job. Once the tech even called me to clarify the work order.
I am a bit spoiled living 30 minutes down the road. I can drop it off to save shipping/insurance fees. They are exceptionally nice greeting you.

David

So, they allow walk ins. Is there any special protocols for walk ins? I'd like to take some lenses and cameras to them to have them calibrate them together.

Thanks

Dec 03, 2015 at 09:58 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.