New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 580EXII repair Q

PatrickSweeney
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 580EXII repair Q

OK, in using the external battery pack, I apparently got too ham-handed, and broke the support that holds the socket in place for the external pack plug.

Anyone else done this? Any idea what Canon will charge for repair?

The bracket is one of the cheesiest "engineering" designs I've ever seen, with a small plastic tab, and a tiny screw, holding the socket in place. I broke the tab.

Oct 29, 2015 at 03:27 PM
Bryston3bsst
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 580EXII repair Q

Probably get a more accurate answer if you were to ask Canon.

Oct 29, 2015 at 03:30 PM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 580EXII repair Q

Boxed up and ready to head to the repair facility, but I thought I'd ask here, in case anyone else had had this happen.

If not, then I'll report on the price of being heavy-handed.

Oct 29, 2015 at 03:57 PM
hvu2012
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 580EXII repair Q

I have 580EX II light broken (not fired). When i log in Canon website, they charge $180 for labor + part. So, I decided to buy another used one good condition a bit more than the amount Canon charges for repair.
These days, there are many options than just Canon flash, IMO

Oct 29, 2015 at 07:14 PM
duronboy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 580EXII repair Q

$180 for labor alone, ouch. I have a couple 580 IIs that fell from wind blowing them over(can't always recruit a voice activated light stand!). At $180 not including parts, it looks like repairing them with Canon is not a sensible option.

Oct 29, 2015 at 09:07 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 580EXII repair Q

I sent my Canon flashes to Midwest camera repair-much cheaper than Canon estimated-I think about half. something to think about. I haven't been real impressed with Canon cps lately, they seem to have to have a camera in several times before getting it fixed now days. I've sent my 6d in I think 4 times and it still has the same problems.

Oct 29, 2015 at 09:25 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 580EXII repair Q

Only marginally related - but I *strongly* recommend aftermarket flashes. I shoot along side another photographer for weddings and his 600EX flashes die or are in repair a lot.

I shoot more than him with my Shanny (600EX clone) all day on full power and they are amazing. Best $123 you can spend on flashes.

They overheat a bit quicker than the 600EX (I have owned 2 of these), but if you are aware of this, the aftermarket ones can't be beat.

FWIW, I have had the Yungnuo ones as well, but prefer the Shanny.

greg

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:26 AM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 580EXII repair Q

"Shanny"? I can't find that with a search, but maybe my google-fu is weak today.

And for $180 labor, I'll fix it myself, or retire the 580 to non-boosted work, and get a Yongnou for that, for $60.

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:11 AM
WiredMike
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 580EXII repair Q

http://www.amazon.com/Shanny-SN600SN-Master-Speedlight-Flashgun/dp/B00X3JM0J4

Are these the Shanny you are looking for?

Oct 30, 2015 at 01:27 PM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 580EXII repair Q

My google-fu is definitely weak, I did a search on Amazon for that name, and came up with nothing.

Thanks.

Oct 30, 2015 at 02:55 PM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 580EXII repair Q

After some thought, my plan is this: I'm going to get an aftermarket flash for the boosted work. That's where I place an array of speedlights on light stands, each with a battery pack, and shoot products. Sort of a poor man's Alien bees setup.

The Canon, I'm going to use as an on-camera flash. If I feel the urge, I'll open it up, attempt an epoxy repair of the busted flange, and see what happens. Rubber gloves, for sure, as capacitors can hold a surprising amount of jolt.

Oct 30, 2015 at 03:00 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 580EXII repair Q

If you are mechanically inclined, buy the parts and do it yourself.

There are a lot of good deals on used equipment available. I recently bought a Canon 600EX RT for $300CAN. Shanny used to be compatible with the YongNuo equivalent flashes but they discontinued that earlier this year. Both alternate brands work and they're cheap.

I just busted my 580EX last week getting out of a car I borrowed. I smashed the flash into the roof and busted the foot off. I busted it a couple of years ago, and ordered two spare in case it happened again. Cost per repair. Less than $10.

If you order parts, you may as well get a spare too - because it sounds like it will happen again.

Nov 02, 2015 at 11:56 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.