Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Lens elements going out of alignment...?

jah2266
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lens elements going out of alignment...?

Hi Kurtis, can you post samples of the images, curious how they look for reference.

Oct 29, 2015 at 08:20 AM
S-Man23
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lens elements going out of alignment...?

Man after reading some articles on Lensrentals I'm starting to be really paranoid of how fragile my gear is, and wondering if I need to send my lenses in to be serviced. Not that they're unusable currently but if they can be better I'd like to know.
On that note, does anyone know if/how much CPS charges to service lenses? I'd really like Lensrentals to do it for me since they seem so thorough but I don't think they do that.

Oct 29, 2015 at 02:21 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lens elements going out of alignment...?

S-Man23 wrote:
On that note, does anyone know if/how much CPS charges to service lenses? I'd really like Lensrentals to do it for me since they seem so thorough but I don't think they do that.

They charge a lot. My 24-70 II cost me $400 to fix...and they did not even fix it.

Oct 29, 2015 at 02:23 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lens elements going out of alignment...?

joelconner wrote:
They charge a lot. My 24-70 II cost me $400 to fix...and they did not even fix it.

Whoops I said CPS but meant NPS...
Also every time I send something in shipping/insurance alone is like $50-$60 one way via UPS.

Oct 29, 2015 at 02:34 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lens elements going out of alignment...?

jasonhupe wrote:
Hi Kurtis, can you post samples of the images, curious how they look for reference.

Will do when I get home later.

Oct 29, 2015 at 02:45 PM
form
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lens elements going out of alignment...?

Any decentering I've seen has a few specific traits:

1. The center is typically sharp or sharp-ish.

2. One side is in focus at a different distance than the other side (this is the "duh" point).

3. One side is often sharper than the other is capable of being, no matter the focal point.

4. The less sharp side often exhibits a kind of "jittery" appearance, almost as if the lens was shaken in a linear way, which doesn't affect (or doesn't affect as much) the other side of the image. It may also just appear to be an unusually fast, gradual loss of resolution leading away from the center and worse in one direction than the other. The center is often least affected by any deficits.

5. The image-quality-reducing traits are reduced, but never eliminated, by stopping down.

6. If it's really bad, you can actually see the decentering effects through the viewfinder.

Oct 29, 2015 at 04:20 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.