FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Color/sat dilemma

sgtbueno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Color/sat dilemma

I just shot a wedding at St Francis Hall in DC, it's always a great challenge to fight those ugly yellow lights, but like always you have to overcome.

Do you guys think this image look too saturated or maybe too warm?
Trying to see if I'm on the right track before I continue editing and before I deliver this images, I like the temp the way it looks but just trying to get a second opinion.

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:37 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Color/sat dilemma

Looks okay to me. Personally, I might try toning down the saturation in the red and the orange channels before you mess with the WB.

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:55 PM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Color/sat dilemma

Personally I think the temperature is ok. I will say that the woman speaking seems to be much cooler than the rest of the image (I assume you used some sort of OCF?) But that highlight on her chin/neck can be easily fixed with a Lr brush. As for the "saturation" behind the speaker I like it, it doesn't look over-done at all. It actually draws my attention to the subject.

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:55 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Color/sat dilemma

matsmithphotography wrote:
Personally I think the temperature is ok. I will say that the woman speaking seems to be much cooler than the rest of the image (I assume you used some sort of OCF?) But that highlight on her chin/neck can be easily fixed with a Lr brush. As for the "saturation" behind the speaker I like it, it doesn't look over-done at all. It actually draws my attention to the subject.

I always setup few fill lights at that venue, but what you see on her is the light coming from her cellphone.
Thanks both of you for the info.

Oct 27, 2015 at 01:02 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Color/sat dilemma

when I get a lot of photos like this, I tend to pull back the saturation just a touch and it makes things look more balanced

Oct 27, 2015 at 01:15 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Color/sat dilemma

I quite like it except the face of the woman, I would add some green on her face.

But I like a lot the warm tone you achieved !!!

Oct 27, 2015 at 01:24 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Color/sat dilemma

Looks pretty solid on my screen. I like to turn down the saturation in the orange/red channel and bump the luminosity on those channels a bit to tone things down. I'd probably consider a gradient burn from the left side as well just to pull attention a little stronger toward the woman giving the speech and away from the lights on the doorway. Really though, the images is in a pretty good place.

Oct 27, 2015 at 01:50 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Color/sat dilemma

Get and use gels. That would have eliminated the problem almost 100%. With the phone, a localized WB brush would fix the issue.

Oct 27, 2015 at 01:59 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Color/sat dilemma

I don't have a huge problem with the color. Maybe work the woman's chin neck a little.

I have a bigger problem with the man's shoulder in the foreground, burn it down and level the image.

Oct 27, 2015 at 02:07 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Color/sat dilemma

amonline wrote:
Get and use gels. That would have eliminated the problem almost 100%. With the phone, a localized WB brush would fix the issue.

I have gels, always use it

Oct 27, 2015 at 03:11 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Color/sat dilemma

OT — I've yet to hear a compelling speech read from a smart phone. Looks like she's reading a tweet.

Oct 27, 2015 at 03:20 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Color/sat dilemma

LeeSimms wrote:
OT — I've yet to hear a compelling speech read from a smart phone.

Now that you say that and I think about it, I would have to agree. It's too easy for the speech giver to lose their place w/phone notes if they raise their eyes to make audience eye contact. Making it less personal.

Oct 27, 2015 at 03:31 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Color/sat dilemma

I'm seeing that more and more at weddings.

Oct 27, 2015 at 03:58 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Color/sat dilemma

sgtbueno wrote:
I have gels, always use it

Doesn't look like you used the right kelvin.

Oct 27, 2015 at 04:06 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Color/sat dilemma

And look how the smart phone gives her a positively cyborg-looking chin. Ugh - shoot me now.

Oct 27, 2015 at 04:52 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Color/sat dilemma

LeeSimms wrote:
And look how the smart phone gives her a positively cyborg-looking chin. Ugh - shoot me now.

hahahaha

Oct 27, 2015 at 05:12 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Color/sat dilemma

amonline wrote:
Doesn't look like you used the right kelvin.

I just dont like to get too cold, but I'll increase to half next time.

Oct 27, 2015 at 05:23 PM
samwillow
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Color/sat dilemma

cool

Oct 30, 2015 at 09:35 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Color/sat dilemma

I don't think it is too saturated but I don't like to see door closers and fire alams and the like in a shot. Good idea to check your backgrounds while shooting as you will get better images and spend less time in cleanup in post processing later.

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:35 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.