New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Adding a new MacBook into MacMini editing workflow

DoubleDragon

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adding a new MacBook into MacMini editing workflow

I bought a new Macbook Pro to setup along side my main editing computer (a 2012 Mac Mini), and I want to get it setup very similarly so that I can work efficiently while out of the office or even while on vacation. I have just a few questions before proceeding...

1) I own a legit copy of Adobe "Creative Design Standard" CS6 and it is running on my main editing mac, so I have Photoshop, Indesign, and Illustrator which are actually pretty important to my workflow. As I understand it, I can actually install up to 2 copies as an owner of this software, so I want to get these same programs on my new Macbook for use when I'm out of the office. I have my serial info ready and it looks like I can just re-download cs6 from a corner of adobe's website and reinstall everything to my new mac. Has anyone here successfully done this? I know Adobe apps can be a pain to get activated, and they want to push everyone to their cloud services which I'm not interested in, so I wanted to see if there are any tips for a clean and simple 2nd install of AdobeCS6 before I proceed...

2) Same issue as above, but with Lightroom 5 and 6, PhotoMechanic, VSCO, etc. I'm hoping that I can just simply install two copies of each critical piece of software that I own, so that I have essentially two editing macs. Any issues I should be aware of before proceeding?

3) I plan on leaving my main photo editing drive connected to my Mac Mini computer and I was wondering what you guys would suggest for networking this drive so that I may also access it through my new Macbook pro. One easy solution I was thinking about was just to allow the MacMini to share all of it's folders and volumes with the Macbook Pro, so the MacBook Pro can just navigate through the folders on my Mac Mini over Wifi. Perhaps there are better solutions as well, like for instance a solution where I could navigate my Mac Mini and connected volumes from outside of the office, like when I'm out of the country for extended periods of time.

Thanks to all who respond!

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:01 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adding a new MacBook into MacMini editing workflow

p as far as the adobe stuff is concerened its 2 instances per licence .

ive run lightroom on both a home machine and laptop for ages .

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:34 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adding a new MacBook into MacMini editing workflow

I think you will be fine running all the software on the two machines. I use my LR and PS CC on two computers.

As per #3, you can easily have each mac access the HD of the other through sharing settings. I'm not sure how fast it will be over WiFi. The other solution is a NAS where you can access all the data on the NAS even from off site. I'm currently researching NAS solutions and am no expert on it so will let others maybe tell you more...lots of info on youtube that I've been watching over the past week.

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:03 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adding a new MacBook into MacMini editing workflow

Just asking: if you are adding a laptop, I assume you are also planning to work on photos remotely, i.e. away from home. In that case, a network drive would not be of much use.

The issue when using LR on two computers that are not connected is the catalog file in LR. There are good resources online about options for managing a LR catalog on 2 different computers and the pro's and cons. You really want to sort this out before you start or else things can turn into a mess quickly.

Oct 29, 2015 at 04:37 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adding a new MacBook into MacMini editing workflow

jharter wrote:
Just asking: if you are adding a laptop, I assume you are also planning to work on photos remotely, i.e. away from home. In that case, a network drive would not be of much use.

The issue when using LR on two computers that are not connected is the catalog file in LR. There are good resources online about options for managing a LR catalog on 2 different computers and the pro's and cons. You really want to sort this out before you start or else things can turn into a mess quickly.

As far as the catalogue goes, I always transfer my entire catalogue between different computers and back again to save the headache of combing catalogues. However, LR does let you say create a new Catalogue while travelling and just merge it into you main one when you get home. I've done that way once but prefer to just take my entire catalogue and copy it back to the home computer when back home.

Oct 29, 2015 at 09:30 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adding a new MacBook into MacMini editing workflow

arbitrage wrote:
As far as the catalogue goes, I always transfer my entire catalogue between different computers and back again to save the headache of combing catalogues. However, LR does let you say create a new Catalogue while travelling and just merge it into you main one when you get home. I've done that way once but prefer to just take my entire catalogue and copy it back to the home computer when back home.

Same here . I have issues trying to re import a catalogue that I had previously exported from LR. At best it took a while but it's also just stalled on me if it had lots of images (500+) in the catalogue .
I just find it easier and faster to copy the LR CAT file onto a memory stick along with the smart previews .
I can the. Just drop the cat file back onto my iMac when I'm done

Oct 30, 2015 at 02:20 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.