Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Best company for Antelope Canyon photography tour?

matthewh133
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best company for Antelope Canyon photography tour?

Heading down to Page early next week and my wife and I are looking to get some killer shots in the canyon. Any particular tour/tour company you would recommend? Pretty sure you have to go with a tour group these days?

Has anyone been at this time of the year and can recommend what time tour I should take for both the upper and lower canyons?

Edited on Oct 27, 2015 at 02:31 PM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:50 AM
jkashinsky

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best company for Antelope Canyon photography tour?

Lower Antelope Canyon is on Navajo land. They operate it. You can take a special Photographer's tour that allows tripods. I believe that time is limited as they run tours every 30 minutes.

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:33 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best company for Antelope Canyon photography tour?

Matt, there is a special forum on location, and if you search within that forum with the key words "Antelope Canyon", you will find detailed answers to your question.

Now, regarding "killer shots" and timing. The best time to go there is when sun gets high in a sky which is not the case in November. So there will be no "killer shots" but I am sure you will still enjoy the experience.

Sasha.

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:48 AM
matthewh133
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best company for Antelope Canyon photography tour?

alatoo60 wrote:
Matt, there is a special forum on location, and if you search within that forum with the key words "Antelope Canyon", you will find detailed answers to your question.

Now, regarding "killer shots" and timing. The best time to go there is when sun gets high in a sky which is not the case in November. So there will be no "killer shots" but I am sure you will still enjoy the experience.

Sasha.

I'll take that as a challenge

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:22 PM
matthewh133
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best company for Antelope Canyon photography tour?

jkashinsky wrote:
Lower Antelope Canyon is on Navajo land. They operate it. You can take a special Photographer's tour that allows tripods. I believe that time is limited as they run tours every 30 minutes.

I thought upper was also only accessible by tour?

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:24 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best company for Antelope Canyon photography tour?

Did you read the prior Jackalope thread(S)?

Oct 27, 2015 at 01:29 PM
matthewh133
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best company for Antelope Canyon photography tour?

Greg Campbell wrote:
Did you read the prior Jackalope thread(S)?

I'm sorry, not sure I saw a thread from Jackalope?

Oct 27, 2015 at 02:31 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best company for Antelope Canyon photography tour?

there is a thread probably still on the front page that asks about which tour guide to use. There is lots of info there.

No light beams will be visible, but you can get great light still. I went there April of 2014 to the lower one and got great light. Also remember that Navajo DO recognize daylight savings time, whereas Arizona does not. We got there an hour early because it was on AZ time.

Oct 28, 2015 at 03:10 PM
matthewh133
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best company for Antelope Canyon photography tour?

Dustin Gent wrote:
there is a thread probably still on the front page that asks about which tour guide to use. There is lots of info there.

No light beams will be visible, but you can get great light still. I went there April of 2014 to the lower one and got great light. Also remember that Navajo DO recognize daylight savings time, whereas Arizona does not. We got there an hour early because it was on AZ time.

Thanks for the tip, I had read about that. I was planning to ask when I called to book what time it was for them currently. I think I'm definitely going to do the lower canyon now after doing some research. Sounds like you have a little more freedom/time and it's less crowded and larger than the upper. Just need to figure out which time will be best for the light.

Oct 28, 2015 at 04:04 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best company for Antelope Canyon photography tour?

We were just there through Lower Antelope Canyon, 10/13. No light beams to notice and I'm sure they would have pointed them out if possible. We were there about 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm or so. (Sorry, camera time seems way off for some reason - need to check that again). We just drove up and took the tourist tour via Ken's. I would suggest reservations or at least working it out with them if you want the photo tour. The photographer's tour is longer and more expensive. You are expected (required?) to have a competent (like a dslr or other interchangeable lens) camera and tripod and the tour numbers will almost certainly be lower. The dynamic range is quite wide, you do get direct sky from some angles at the top and the interior is surprisingly dark. I bracketed shots but not sure it was an advantage yet as I work my way through the new (to me) merge feature in LR. I did have to use pretty high isos to get mid-range pertures and handhold speeds. So a tripod will allow for lower isos and shutter speeds - but it does result in slower progress through the canyon, etc.

I don't know that any tour company works both canyons although I suppose it might be that some at least take you from Upper to Lower and then the Lower operators run their tours. Lower is a short drive wight outide Page and easy to get to.

Oct 28, 2015 at 09:02 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best company for Antelope Canyon photography tour?

I think the beam in upper is only visible from May to late September - like september 27?

The lower I like a lot, but it is also busy. They changed the way they do things in the last year. I was in there with just a few buddies for an hour w/o anyone! Then they let general admission go in and it was busy!

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:30 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.