New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Moon shots

AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moon shots

FMIW, playing this evening with an elderly Sigma 400mm f5.6 Nikon mount lens, an MFT adaptor, an Oly 1.4 teleconverter (MC-14), and an EM5:

Hand held.

Tripod

Oct 26, 2015 at 03:06 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moon shots

tripod image look good
handheld image has nice colors, understandably less sharp
some artifacts from compression
I like the brownish color lower left but a bit dominant in size for me

glad you got out shooting

Scott

Oct 26, 2015 at 06:45 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moon shots

With that meteor hit at 3 o'clock, it almost looks like a peeled gray orange.

Big lens on a small mirrorless camera = excellent results. The new breed of mirrorless cameras has allowed the use of older glass, glass made by manufacturers other than that of the camera maker. A great boon!

My only question is, where is the green cheese?

Oct 26, 2015 at 08:01 AM
beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Moon shots

The b/w really sings! You probably knew this, as evidenced by these images, but I just heard about the lunar 11 rule (as opposed to sunny 16): shutter at 1/ISO and f/11. What shutter speed to you need to stop it moving during the exposure?

Nice job.
keith

Oct 26, 2015 at 08:53 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Moon shots

The tripod shot is a classic moon shot. The hand held shot has more interest, did you get one like this from the tripod?

Oct 26, 2015 at 09:09 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Moon shots

Last photo @ 3 O'clock. I see the American flag.

Nice moon shot Karen!

Dave

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:02 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Moon shots

FWIW, the tripod image is also color, like the first. It contains some lens color fringe adjustments and a little temp tweaking and a slight de-saturation to reduce residual fringe, but it's basically a full color shot that renders like a black and white because the moon is quite gray and the sky, a medium dark blue to the eye, was enough less exposed to render as black. There was a fair amount of post processing to maximize a sense of sharpness and to emphasize detail.

The Photographer's Ephemeris says the moon rise yesterday was 7:24 pm and the sunset was 7:47 pm. The first image was taken at 7:32 pm, eight minutes after the moon rose, and the second at 8:03 pm, sixteen minutes after sunset. (The times recorded in the EXIF data are off by one hour because I didn't reset the camera's clock for daylight savings time.)

Here's the camera jpeg with only size reduction:

Edited on Oct 26, 2015 at 02:01 PM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2015 at 01:31 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Moon shots

Stand corrected on the last shot.

Oct 26, 2015 at 01:34 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Moon shots

Also, note the in camera stabilization was quite good for such a very long effective focal length handheld. Even at 1/500 of a second, that's fairly sharp for an effective 1200 mm focal length. Much of the difference in apparent sharpness is atmospherics and post processing. The tripod shot was 1/125 of a two second with timer shutter delay. I didn't record the f stops but they were some where at or between f/16 and f/8.

You can mine quite a lot from an image with proper post processing. The first hand-held image was fighting clouds of varying density. As another gauge on the post processing, here a copy of the in-camera jpeg for the first with no post processing beyond size reduction:

Oct 26, 2015 at 02:06 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Moon shots

The clouds add interest which is why I asked about a shot like this for the tripod. The handheld is quite good. The moon is bright and takes a surprisingly fast shutter. I used to do this 500 f4 or 700 f5.6, And many people do 800 or more.

Oct 26, 2015 at 02:22 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Moon shots

By the time I got out the tripod, the Moon was above the clouds. Of course, I could resort to photoshoppery.

Oct 26, 2015 at 04:01 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.