FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Dunes...Great, big dunes

Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dunes...Great, big dunes

I loved the time I was able to spend at the Mesquite Dunes three years ago. They were pretty whimpy compared with the Great Dunes. These things are small mountains. I struggled to make beyond the 700 foot dunes into the main dune field. Then dark approached and I had to leave in a hurry.

Great Dunes 1 from the campground

Great Dunes 2.... a big hole with scary steep sides

Great Dunes 3 ..... and hour and a half in

Great Dunes 4 ... with the sun setting into clouds

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:12 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dunes...Great, big dunes

The first two speak to me the most. When scrolling down, I saw the mid-day lighting and thought it would have been nicer with less harsh light, but when I viewed the entire photo, I really like the lighting. I really like the almost shadow area of dunes on the left side of the photo, and I really like how the foreground trees have the wonderful side light. This has an almost painterly feel, and the sky is wonderful. If this had been taken at a different time of day, I don't know that it would have quite as much effect.

The second photo has an almost cinematic feel to it. It feels like I'm going to get sucked down into the hole because of those lines. That's a feeling I can relate to after having hiked on some similar ridges. I like the soft light, and the simple color palette in this photo as well. This is a really cool photo because it gives me the feeling of being there, but at the same time, I don't think I would want to print it huge and put it on the wall because it might make the experience too real and give me a feeling that I'm about to fall into the hole. :-)

Oct 26, 2015 at 08:07 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dunes...Great, big dunes

Ben, thanks for the detailed comments. Your comments were very helpful. I am glad to hear the first image worked. There are so many great and high impact images on this forum, I was reluctant to present a plain, blue sky image. I am glad the second image also worked. I had nightmares about that place last night. Not only is the edge very steep but the whole side of the dune can easily slough off into the hole. I am glad at least some of that feeling came through.

Oct 26, 2015 at 09:58 AM
Hathaway
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dunes...Great, big dunes

#2 for me. Really like the patterns in the foreground sand.

Oct 27, 2015 at 08:37 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dunes...Great, big dunes

#2 and 3 for me, with #3 being favorite, love the soft light and leading lines.

Sasha.

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:57 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dunes...Great, big dunes

Hathaway, Sasha,
Thanks for the comments. Getting these images was a lot of work. I am happy to see some responses.

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:11 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.