New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

I'm one of those photographers that has more than once, missed an opportunity because I didn't have a camera on me. I always have OCF, 2 light stands, and a head shot background stand with me...so why shouldn't I carry a camera/lens with me too? I have a 1DIV that I refuse to sell for the going rate, so I figured I'd keep it as my "always with me" body. I'm thinking of mating it to a 24-105 and keeping a flash (manual) and a fast prime with it.

I'm trying to decide between shoulder bag, or small pelican. The pelican would be desirable in the event something gets launched on it in my car. The shoulder bag, or even a backpack, would be nice because I could toss it on my shoulder should the need ever strike me.

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

Hi Rob,

I'd use a medium sized shoulder/courier bag, or something like the LowePro TopLoader 75 AW. The 75 AW fits a 1D-series camera with 70-200/2.8L IS II or 100-400L IS II lens attached, with sufficient room in the front pockets for a 600EX-RT and spare LP-E4 battery. The next smaller size might be sufficient for the 24-105L IS, but I'd want to try it in a shop to make sure the body and other stuff fits.

If you're OK to have the lens not attached to the camera, then a slim shoulder bag like the Timbuktu Informant (med.) would be a nice solution, and it fits in narrower spaces than the 75 AW. I have all of the bags mentioned, plus some Pelican cases that would do the job. I'd use the Pelican if I wanted to fire and forget it in the trunk and if I wanted to lock it to something and walk away for a while (or if I needed waterproof).

Oct 25, 2015 at 01:30 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

Thanks for the input!

Oct 25, 2015 at 05:26 PM
craig_k
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

I use a pelican 1450 case for that specific purpose..body, attached lens up to a 70-200 2.8 and flash, xtra batteries, cf cards filters.....I have used the foam inserts, padded inserts and now have the trek-pak insert for it....im liking the trek-pak : http://trekpak.com/pelican/
pelican 1450: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=pelican+1450&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps
with the pelicans I don't worry about impact issues and they are water-proof......the hardcase design eliminates any worry about shock whereas a pack design leaves you unprotected....."why buy the best only to put it ina cloth sack?"...a paksafe cord :http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1126644-REG/pacsafe_10520999_wrapsafe_anti_theft_adjustable_cable.html
and tsa lock finish the package.......absolutely free concerning impact issues ...may not be for everyone, but for me the pelican products have taken me everywhere for 7 years w\o one failure, or worry....the key will be seeing if the 1d height will fit the 1450, I use 7d's and 5dmk2 all fitted with L brackets w\o clearance issues and that's with a lens of choice attached to body during transit...in order to use the 1450 and 1d you will have to lay it flat on its back with lens un-attached. 1450 is 6.00" deep and 1dmk4 is 6.14 so a different case model ( or hardcase mfg)would be required for attached lens and body upright...good luck with eventual selection of choice

Oct 25, 2015 at 08:46 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

Not sure if this might be helpful but here's a 5D3 with a grip and 24-105L with reversed hood attached, the 35L with hood reversed next to it, and a 600EX in the front pocket. It's a very tight fit but it does fit. If size is important it's as small as you're going to get.

TT Retrospective 5

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:30 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

I Google that, 140 bucks. Ouch!

jeraldcook wrote:
Not sure if this might be helpful but here's a 5D3 with a grip and 24-105L with reversed hood attached, the 35L with hood reversed next to it, and a 600EX in the front pocket. It's a very tight fit but it does fit. If size is important it's as small as you're going to get.

Oct 27, 2015 at 09:01 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

RobertLynn wrote:
I Google that, 140 bucks. Ouch!

Yeah, but it'll last ages.

Oct 27, 2015 at 09:31 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

It's really well made though, has a great warranty, comes with a rain cover, etc.

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:36 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

I'm leaning towards a pelican, so I wouldn't have to be as ginger about things in my car (leave a camera and lens in the car!?!?!) But I do like the ability to take a shoulder bag. Decisions decisions.

Oct 28, 2015 at 06:40 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

A hard case like the Pelican will slide around a lot more than a bag and if visible will be more of a target for a thief. With a bag I can grab it from the car and have what I need without having to go back for something.

I prefer cars with a trunk so my gear can be out of sight and not tempting anyone but still easy to retrieve. The bottom of the trunk area makes a good platform for the bag while getting items out or making lens changes with the camera(s).

One exception to the above is that when I have a lot of gear with me I will put it in a Tamrac rolling case and then pull out items and put them into a camera bag. That way I can adjust my kit on the fly. The Tamrac holds extra batteries and flash and light modifiers and cables, etc. and is my mobile "supply cabinet".

Oct 28, 2015 at 04:35 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

I happen to have a 1450 with the divider set & several years ago set it up & took some photos to help a serviceman decide on what he needed to buy before shipping out to Afghanistan. The photos & captions are here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/116179596240613012497/Pelican1450?authkey=Gv1sRgCN27jq_3g6HZWA#

Oct 28, 2015 at 09:55 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

I'm not worried about theft. That's not to say I do not think it will ever happen, but keeping a 1div and 24-105 in my trunk with perhaps a few old cybe syncs and junk flashes (I still have them after upgrading to 600exrt) wouldn't frighten me too much. If someone wanted them it wouldn't ruin me. I'd be upset but I'd file a claim with my insurance and forget about it.

I have a handful of pelicans (1510s, 1550, 1620) and like their ruggedness but they are big, and bulky, plus I may not reach for the camera if it's a giant pita to get to.

I'm basically the laziest photographer around when it comes to carrying cameras with me when I'm not on a job.

Oct 29, 2015 at 06:37 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

Thanks. This tells me that I couldn't use a 1400 or 1450 with the lens on.

Thank you very much

Cicopo wrote:
I happen to have a 1450 with the divider set & several years ago set it up & took some photos to help a serviceman decide on what he needed to buy before shipping out to Afghanistan. The photos & captions are here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/116179596240613012497/Pelican1450?authkey=Gv1sRgCN27jq_3g6HZWA#

Oct 29, 2015 at 06:39 AM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

Correct. you'd need to lay the body down minus lens in a 1450. Depending on which fast prime you might want to add to your car kit I may be able to do another set of photos tonight using a 1D4, 24-105 & either a 430 Ex or 580 EX. All I have in fast primes is the 24 & 35 f1.4's. I'm pretty sure all of those would fit but none could be mounted to the camera.

Oct 29, 2015 at 07:31 AM
Thats Fresh
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

check out www.youtube.com/gfpstudio. i have a bunch of bags for different camera setups. let me know what you think. if you see a lowepro bag you like, let me know i can get you 20% plus free shipping (=

Nov 11, 2015 at 04:06 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

A hard case is going to slide around a lot more in a car than a bag or backpack. Generally speaking a backpack works better than a shoulder bag in keeping gear in place. I can have it upright behind my seat in the car or in the back on its back. A shoulder bag rolls around a lot more in a trunk.

A Pelican case is advantageous when water is involved as a bag is not going to be waterproof. Otherwise it just adds weight and is one more thing to haul around. It is also more conspicuous and that is not good with expensive photo gear.

Nov 12, 2015 at 07:51 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

I've heard of guys bolting a Pelcan to their trunk. Would keep it from sliding around, but then it would be nearly impossible to remove (good for theft deterrence). I like the idea of the Pelican in the trunk, but IME, they're not so great for hauling around on location. The wheeled ones are fine only if you have smooth or paved surfaces. Otherwise they're a PITA. If you go with the Pelican, then just keep a spare, small empty bag in the trunk too, and quickly transfer over the gear you want to take out with you.

As for keeping a loaded bag in the car somewhere... when I'm driving the car, I keep my camera bag behind the driver's seat with the strap shortened and slung around the seat where it meets the headrest. This keeps it in place and usually suspended, so it's not bouncing around on the floor. Sometimes it's sitting on a blanket or whatever clothes I have in the backseat that I stuff in the rear passenger footwell area behind the driver's seat... Generally whenever I leave the car, I take that bag with me, rather than leave it in the car. But that's my preference and kind of don't want to risk loss of $10K+ of gear. It's insured, but the coverage I have is peculiar about theft from a vehicle...

Nov 13, 2015 at 02:42 AM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

OK, here's my thought. Get a small bag put your camera and other items in the bag and take a look at putting this in a Pelican case.

Best of both worlds. Open Pelican case take out camera bag with all your gear and go.

Sam

Nov 19, 2015 at 09:14 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Bag or Pelican for pro-size body and lens/flash

At a wedding I will have over $30,000 in equipment in the trunk of my car. I use multiple shoulder bags, the Tamrac rolling case, and one Pelcan 1620.

The Pelican is used for my Quantum flash kit (two Qflash, two battery packs, FreeXwire transmitters and cables, softboxes, hoods, etc.) and it gets hauled to where the group photos will be taken and then my assistant puts it back in the trunk. The Pelican when empty weighs 13 lbs which is not trivial. I got the case without the wheels and use a luggage cart which has larger wheels and a longer handle as the wheels on the hard cases work only on smooth hard surfaces and are terrible on carpet, grass, dirt, and many other surfaces I encounter at venues.

For my personal photography in the field I use a small and a large backpack as they are better for carrying the loads involved and for strapping a tripod and carrying a water bottle. Both backpacks can be laid on a back seat to access gear and transported either upright behind a front seat or on their backs in the trunk.

A hard case would provide no additional benefit and I would have to take whatever was in it and move it to a backpack or shoulder bag each time I stopped someplace and then put it back when I got back to the car. Doing this exposes my gear to the elements and to the eyes of people seeing me leave the car with the hard case inside. Even if the case was empty there would still be the damage to my car. Much better if at a trailhead they see me pull the backpack or bag from the backseat area and walk off with it.

I do have a hard case for my 500mm f4 lens and it is large enough to hold the lens when mounted to a camera. I use it when shooting from my kayak or an inflatable.

Nov 20, 2015 at 04:01 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.