New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

poisonborz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

I received my kit a few days ago, and after fumbling around with it, I recognized I can't get it to autofocus. Not only does it no AF but the AF sleect button on the side is also not working.

1. Flip above the backside dial is not on Locked position
  2. Focus switch is on AF (both on body and lens)
  3. When half-pressing the shutter / pressing AF-On (bound to AE-L) a single focus point is visible, red led lights up in the viewfinder but that's all, shots remain unfocused.
  4. I've tried to take on-off the lens several times. Both with a fixed 35mm Nikkor, and a 55-300mm Nikkor. The latter has VR that is clicking while half-pressing the shutter - so the body does communicate with the lens I suppose.
  5. Here are my settings. Battery is charged well and obviously the camera is on. I've tried to reset any user settings (there's no actual factory reset on the D7200)

As I said, AF mode button does nothing, in any mode. Focus-related settings as shown in the manual are not present, it's as if AF would be disabled somehow - as if the camera wouldn't think it can control lens focus, thus has this disabled. Is there something I could try before returning it?

Oct 25, 2015 at 06:01 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

Have you made sure the AF/MF switch on the left side of the lower mount area is in the AF position? Have you gone through all the AF related options in the manual?

Oct 25, 2015 at 06:14 AM
rovin47
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

I had a D7100 that gave me the same problem, 2 times. I had to send it in for warranty repair twice. After I got it back the second time I sold the camera as I didn't feel that I could trust it. Good Luck

Oct 25, 2015 at 06:15 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

Are you getting an Error message in your LCD? Do you have the lens set to the smallest f number. Do you have an Auto Focus lens attached?

Oct 25, 2015 at 06:46 AM
poisonborz

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

sjms wrote:
Have you made sure the AF/MF switch on the left side of the lower mount area is in the AF position? Have you gone through all the AF related options in the manual?

Yes and yes. I've tried to change options, but AF mode did not change. The lower AF button does nothing in any mode.

DaveOls wrote:
Are you getting an Error message in your LCD? Do you have the lens set to the smallest f number. Do you have an Auto Focus lens attached?

No error shown, it simply seems as if the machine would disregard AF completely. The lens is an AF-capable Nikon 35mm 1.8

Are these the symptoms the camera should behave if no AF lens is attached? I suppose there should be a warning in these cases. The unresponsive AF button is suspicious - if it would be a motor problem at least the UI should show that AF is set.

What's strange is that the info display shows AF as single-point, locked. But the switch above the dial is not on Locked - see pic. Wonder how this could have happened.

Oct 25, 2015 at 06:57 AM
fballatore

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

Do you have back button focus turned on in settings?

Oct 25, 2015 at 08:37 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

Have you tired another lens? Although, honestly, it sounds like it should go back.

Oct 25, 2015 at 09:11 AM
WestcoastHD
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

Have you tried not using the back button and just the normal shutter button. I would do a camera reset and try the shutter button.

Oct 25, 2015 at 09:28 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

To isolate the problem between the phase-detection and motorized portions of the AF system, enter Live View and see if the AF works there.

Oct 25, 2015 at 09:44 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

Did you buy this new? If not, the prior owner may have set f4 under controls to do back button AF. If that's assigned, then the top shutter release won't work. I'd also do a two green button reset just for the heck of it to clear any weirdness (although that won't change the button assignment).

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:24 AM
poisonborz

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

snapsy wrote:
To isolate the problem between the phase-detection and motorized portions of the AF system, enter Live View and see if the AF works there.

Nope, it does not work. Everything is fixed on manual focus, and no way to switch AF modes.

ckcarr wrote:
Did you buy this new? If not, the prior owner may have set f4 under controls to do back button AF. If that's assigned, then the top shutter release won't work. I'd also do a two green button reset just for the heck of it to clear any weirdness (although that won't change the button assignment).

I've applied 'shooting reset', 'custom reset' and 'user 1' and 'user 2' settings reset in the menus - the two green-marked button reset had no effect whatsoever (tried while camera on, off, or while switching on-off).

I even checked lens hole connections, but everything seems right (lens info is correctly displayed in photos as well) I found a few threads that list this issue, also with the D7100. Its new. I hope I'll have luck with support.

Oct 25, 2015 at 01:08 PM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

Have you tried cleaning the electrical contacts on the camera (which connect to the lens)?

Oct 25, 2015 at 01:21 PM
poisonborz

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

I was back in the shop, and the best (for the case) and worst (for my ego) happened - the cleck fumbled with the camera for a few minutes switching things around, and he gave the camera back with AF working. And he was not able to tell the single thing that made it working again. The few custom changes I made in the morning were preserved so it wasn't even a settings reset - after all the things above I'm quite puzzled.

The fact that the AF switch button did not work was a telltale sign that this was a software error, but I hoped that there would be some clear moral to learn for users finding this thread later on. Well, that is it.

Oct 26, 2015 at 01:53 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

I'd almost guarantee that you had back button focus set... But, we will never know...

Oct 26, 2015 at 02:29 PM
poisonborz

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

ckcarr wrote:
I'd almost guarantee that you had back button focus set... But, we will never know...

Never say never, the issue was found.
Yesterday the problem occured again. Today I went to the vendor, and we finally figured out what was the root cause - which can be important warning for everyone new to recent DSLRs like me. When I changed lens, I naturally thought you had to press the eject button when you place back the new lens too. WRONG.

(At least on the D7200) pressing the eject button while you insert the lens will cause the lens to screw in deeper than necessary. It won't "click", the AF pin will not connect. Worst thing is that the aperture will work, you'll be able to take pictures, the body recognizes the lens, but will think it has no AF capability and turn itself to manual only mode (without any notification or warning apparently). All DSLRs have a satisfying click when the lens is inserted. It's not enough to just feel a thud and you can't rotate anymore. Press the eject button only when removing the lens.

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:31 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

well, enjoy your new camera. learning is 90% of the fun.

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:34 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

who wudda thunk?

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:44 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.