New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Fake Tuxedos? Senior school portrait question

joelabate

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fake Tuxedos? Senior school portrait question

Hi everyone! First post on the site, and I hate to make it asking for help... but I need help!

We need to find some kind of fake tuxedos for a high school's senior yearbook photos. The school wants the same look as previous years, but our studio has never done tuxedos, only cap and gown.

After looking around, I found the v-neck drapes for the women for sale on some sites. Dennys has them, so does prostudiousa.com and thepierceco.com. The problem is the tuxedos. We could rent a few jackets and shirts and ties, but we'd need different sizes, and it's a 2-3 day shoot. This is a public HS, and we probably won't make much money.

It seems like photogs used to buy used shirts, and cut them up to make them fakes that could quickly and easily be put on each guy. But are there any places that sell (or better, rent) these fake tuxes? We need to shoot 250 seniors, and having each one button up a shirt and tie would take too long.

If anyone has any insight into how this is done, I'd be super grateful! Thanks so much!

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:36 PM
henryp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fake Tuxedos? Senior school portrait question

We kept a library of tuxedo outfits. This might not help you but we'd go round to the local tuxedo rental shops every spring at the end of prom season and buy inventory they no longer wanted. It's easy to sew shirts shut in front and add velcro in back so kids can get them on & off like bibs, but for jackets & bow ties, we bought used and used them up. You can split a few large jackets up the back for the fullbacks but if you can get a variety of sizes it's better. Use small "A" or "pony" clamps to make a too-large jacket fit.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Oct 27, 2015 at 02:30 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.