p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 4k monitor with 99% adobe RGB coverage LG 31MU97Z-B

anyone try this?

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-31MU97-B-4k-ips-led-monitor

Oct 22, 2015 at 01:46 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 4k monitor with 99% adobe RGB coverage LG 31MU97Z-B

I have that monitor. It is getting replaced by LG right now as we speak because it won't turn on anymore. Very nice monitor. Nice colour. Very little glare.

Doesn't work well with some macs. To get the most of it you need a video card that can output 10 bit colour.

Oct 23, 2015 at 05:20 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 4k monitor with 99% adobe RGB coverage LG 31MU97Z-B

I know that LG makes the actual screens that Eizo uses but for $1400 I wonder if they've got the rest of the hardware including calibration and especially the uniformity down they way Eizo does. And how good is the LG software compared to the others?

Oct 24, 2015 at 04:08 AM
Stoffer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 4k monitor with 99% adobe RGB coverage LG 31MU97Z-B

The Samsung U32D970Q is another option that has gotten my interest and I think it is only a bit more expensive. I have seen positive reviews regarding its color:

Samsung U32D970Q

I wonder if anybody has tried it?

Oct 24, 2015 at 05:20 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 4k monitor with 99% adobe RGB coverage LG 31MU97Z-B

i read a good review of the Samsung U32D970Q on amazon written by someone who uses it for photography and editing.

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:38 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 4k monitor with 99% adobe RGB coverage LG 31MU97Z-B

Hardcore wrote:
I have that monitor. It is getting replaced by LG right now as we speak because it won't turn on anymore. Very nice monitor. Nice colour. Very little glare.

Doesn't work well with some macs. To get the most of it you need a video card that can output 10 bit colour.

If it works like Eizo and NEC then you'll still get a tangible benefit from internal 10-bit processing even with an 8-bit graphics card feeding it. The specs don't mention internal bit rate and therefore I suspect it just 10 rather than 12 or more. The extra bits are used to provide smoother control over internal colour profiling. However, if that processing is done by the computer at the graphics card rather than in the monitor then you won't get as much benefit. Look up an NEC or Eizo brochure for more info on the benefits of monitor internal processing.

The 17:9 ratio might be a problem for some graphics cards that max out at 3840 pixels wide instead of 4096. Even if they can display the extra pixels they may not cope with more than say 30Hz refresh rate. I know that 4096 is literally 4k but "4k" originally meant "approximately 4k" and more precisely "double the 1920x1080 full HD". That's what some graphics cards are limited to.

I'd want to make sure that setting a particular profile for a particular intended screen brightness will automatically change the screen brightness when you change profile, as happens with the Eizo and NEC. That way when you pick an "indoor print" profile it will look more like a print and not as bright as a real beach scene on a sunny day. i.e. it is handy to not have to manually adjust brightness and contrast every time you change colour profile, and also less prone to mistakes such as using the right profile at the wrong brightness.

Also make sure that the monitor offers uniformity control to prevent a blotchy appearance on what should be uniformly bright screens. There's no point editing images to address what is actually a screen problem.

The 150ppi should look reasonably good. Not as nice as 200+ for viewing large photos but certainly better than say 110ppi. At least you won't have as many problems software and operating system user interfaces that are based on low ppi. Not everything scales nicely with ppi screens.

- Alan

Oct 30, 2015 at 09:48 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 4k monitor with 99% adobe RGB coverage LG 31MU97Z-B

what are some recommendations for 10 bit video cards that work well with photoshop's graphics' accelerated functions?

Oct 31, 2015 at 07:08 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.