New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Camranger vs XSories wifi access point for cameras

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camranger vs XSories wifi access point for cameras

Anyone use them both? What are the relative advantages/disadvantages?

What's the battery life and recharge times like?

Oct 22, 2015 at 08:31 AM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camranger vs XSories wifi access point for cameras

CamRanger battery use lasts me about 6-7 hours of continuous use. I have a spare battery so I have no worries at all.

I am not familiar with the Xsories product but I am familiar with CamRanger.

I bought the CamRanger at first to enable wireless shooting from a mast. I put my Canon 5DmkIII on top of a 15 foot mast and triggered it from below with theCR. I could see focus, exposure and composition and change them remotely.
However I started using it with my other work and found it enormously useful in being able to get immediate feedback as the shoot was progressing. Things that might not be easily seen on the LCD of the camera were easily apparent on the iPad.
Art Directors love seeing the big image and I am free to move around the set easily with the CR clipped to a belt loop in its supplied case. Shooting physically tethered to a laptop as many do is very limiting and is suited to studio use even though some go into the field with that configuration.
You can make selects and email them to yourself or others as the JPGs are just for reference to me. I save RAWS on the card and download later.

There is exposure and focus bracketing, HDR, video and time lapse features. In addition there are a number of tools to aid in image analysis such as highlight and shadow warnings.
One can also use Live View with focus peaking or touch focus.

Remote triggering is very useful for me as I often use multiple images for compositing and this ensures complete stability of the camera, I can also change most setting from the iPad.

Some complain that the price is high since you can purchase the hardware for about $30 without SW but that, IMO is false economy and I was very happy to pay the developers for their good work at delivering a polished product that has greatly aided my work. It has also enhanced my reputation with clients as I now get comments from other photographers noting that their clients are expecting them to have an iPad for them to watch the shoot.

It is one of those few products that have really transformed the way I work for the better and I just wish I had bought it years ago.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:53 PM
Tom Robinson
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camranger vs XSories wifi access point for cameras

+1
Well said.

Nov 13, 2015 at 07:58 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.