Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

Just wondering what folks thoughts are regarding culling (software / approach / PC needs) when processing volumes of 50MP (or say 36+) files. Did a change to the larger file sizes induce you to make a change in your culling process also?

Oct 22, 2015 at 07:55 AM
codyconway
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

Not here, but I did find that I'm a lot more conservative when shooting with my a7r versus 7dII or 6D. I still flag / ditch / keep my files all the same as before. As far as computer needs, it puts a greater strain on your computer, especially when converted to psd or tiff for photoshop use for master edits - My MacBook air 2013 has a bit of drag working with photos from the a7r in raw, but my main desktop custom water cooled build doesn't even flinch @ 4.7ghz with SLI video cards for graphics rendering.

Oct 22, 2015 at 08:05 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

RustyBug wrote:
Just wondering what folks thoughts are regarding culling (software / approach / PC needs) when processing volumes of 50MP (or say 36+) files. Did a change to the larger file sizes induce you to make a change in your culling process also?

Rusty , do you mean the increased disk space needed if you keep more files (i.e. culled less of them) from a shoot ?

or the increased strain on a system moving from 1 image to another quickly ?

if its the first one then cull what you need but remember drive space isn't a huge cost . (although it is always a cost that adds up when you factor in back dos etc)

its the 2nd then there are ways to lessen the load .
in lightroom for example you can get LR to generate all its 1:1 previews before you cull (go make a coffee and cull later) or have LR create smart previews and then cull those .you have to make sure LR can't see the original file by removing the drive they are on from the system (easy if its external)
Once you've been thru the first cull you could then hook up the drive again and go thru a slower more critical 2nd cull

Oct 22, 2015 at 08:53 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

The second one ... rifling through your "losers" and to get to the good stuff. Then the back & forth to decide on the best of the rest.

LR and / or other programs, such as PM, FPV or

Oct 22, 2015 at 09:11 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

I've not found LR to be especially good at fast culling even with 1DX files. I tried PM and didn't much care for it's speed either. The best option I found for my trashcan Mac Pro was DPP and it's still not the greatest. I wish BBPro was available for the Mac. That is the fastest one I know of.

Would love to see Adobe optimize LR but so far the library module is a sloth.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:02 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

ggreene wrote:
I've not found LR to be especially good at fast culling even with 1DX files. I tried PM and didn't much care for it's speed either. The best option I found for my trashcan Mac Pro was DPP and it's still not the greatest. I wish BBPro was available for the Mac. That is the fastest one I know of.

I don't have an issue with it . my files are from the 5D3 (so much like your 1Dx)
like I said above you have to do a couple of things to optimise LR . if you start to cull while LR hasn't generated a good preview it can be slow going between images .
When I had about 2K of images to start to go thru I imported onto my MBA first and then imported into LR using ADD .
then I made LR build 1:1 previews and went to dinner . when i came back I could start to flick thru the images with any lag between them .

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:26 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I don't have an issue with it . my files are from the 5D3 (so much like your 1Dx)
like I said above you have to do a couple of things to optimise LR . if you start to cull while LR hasn't generated a good preview it can be slow going between images .
When I had about 2K of images to start to go thru I imported onto my MBA first and then imported into LR using ADD .
then I made LR build 1:1 previews and went to dinner . when i came back I could start to flick
...Show more

Ian, I do the same thing. I let the files be imported and previews generated before I start rifling through the images. Makes for a much more pleasant experience and in the end more productive.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:32 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

Gotcha @ import and build previews is faster than culling right away. But, for those who don't want to "go to dinner first" ... what do you prefer other than LR?

I tried FPV several years back on a different machine. Kinda liked it, but haven't tried it lately (may revisit) on this machine or with such large files. Just wondering what others are finding viable for the larger stuff (besides "go to dinner" with LR).

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:03 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

RustyBug wrote:
Gotcha @ import and build previews is faster than culling right away. But, for those who don't want to "go to dinner first" ... what do you prefer other than LR?

I tried FPV several years back on a different machine. Kinda liked it, but haven't tried it lately (may revisit) on this machine or with such large files. Just wondering what others are finding viable for the larger stuff (besides "go to dinner" with LR).

Rusty ,
how many images at a time are you talking about ?

also what OS are you using ?

Apparently 2 best options in this field are Photo Mechanic and Breeze Browser . but I'm pretty sure one of them (Breeze?) is windows only .

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:15 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

ggreene wrote:

+100

IMO Lightroom is OK for making final "second pass" selections (though I don't use it for that), but when it comes to quickly reviewing large numbers of photos out in the field and "first pass" culling of obviously bad files there is nothing slower. BreezeBrowser, FastRawViewer, PhotoMechanic and others are infinitely faster because they don't build databases, cache previews, etc. There's really no need for all of that fuss if you're just looking for bloopers or just want to see what you got after a day of shooting in a remote location. If you've driven back to a motel room after sunset or worse are staying in a tent, the last thing you want to do is wait endlessly for LR.

Note that BreezeBrowser does not yet support 5DS/5DSR RAW file conversion because Canon has not released an SDK that supports these cameras. BB does show full resolution JPEG previews that are more than good enough to show what worked or didn't. If you have a thousand 5DSR photos to preview you can begin looking at them literally in seconds. I never used BB for final RAW conversion anyway, but because it uses Canon's SDK the colors and everything else are the same as Canon DPP but with a far better and more logical user interface. I haven't tried FRV (yet) but it looks like true winner and does support 5DS/R files.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:24 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

Greg & Dean ... you're spot on to the concept @ "not building & caching" or culling before importing.

I'm on Windows platform.

I wasn't familiar with FastRawViewer (only FastPictureViewer) ... will check it out, thanks.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:35 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

RustyBug wrote:

Takes less than 10 minutes for me to import and build previews for roughly 1500 images. I can live with that. Just go crack and pour yourself a beer and it will be ready.

I recall the old days of putting slides onto a light box and using a loupe to look at each individual slide for culling...we've come a long ways.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:55 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

dmcphoto wrote:
I never used BB for final RAW conversion anyway, but because it uses Canon's SDK the colors and everything else are the same as Canon DPP but with a far better and more logical user interface.

That's exactly how I used BBPro. I never actually used it as a RAW converter. It was just insanely fast at culling RAW's. God, I miss it. I've debated setting up Windows on my Mac just for that.

LR is a dog in comparison. I love it for RAW conversion and cataloging but culling is not its strength.

Oct 22, 2015 at 01:07 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

ggreene wrote:
That's exactly how I used BBPro. I never actually used it as a RAW converter. It was just insanely fast at culling RAW's. God, I miss it. I've debated setting up Windows on my Mac just for that.

LR is a dog in comparison. I love it for RAW conversion and cataloging but culling is not its strength.

FWIW, even though the current version of BBPro will not convert 5DS/R files it will preview them, and it's incredibly fast even with the 50 MP (roughly 65 MB each) files. I still plan to give FastRawViewer a try. Purchased with RawDigger (gives very extensive RAW file information) it's the same price as BBPro.
http://www.rawdigger.com/ http://www.fastrawviewer.com/

Oct 22, 2015 at 01:59 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

chez wrote:
Takes less than 10 minutes for me to import and build previews for roughly 1500 images. I can live with that. Just go crack and pour yourself a beer and it will be ready.

I recall the old days of putting slides onto a light box and using a loupe to look at each individual slide for culling...we've come a long ways.

The question I'm asking isn't how I should adjust my workflow to manage using LR. The question is what alternatives are there to using LR for the express purposes of culling (including, prior to importing).

Edited on Oct 22, 2015 at 08:42 PM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2015 at 08:37 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

It's bird photography and shooting at high frame rates that made me cull in PhotoMechanic before importing files into LR.

And strangely enough, my 16mp Olympus files take longer to render 1:1 in LR than my 42mp Sony files. Not sure why.

Oct 22, 2015 at 08:42 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

RustyBug wrote:
The question I'm asking isn't how I should adjust my workflow to manage using LR. The question is what alternatives are there to using LR for the express purposes of culling (including, prior to importing).

Actually Rusty...it is exactly the process adjustments you asked about in your first post...not different software. Here is a snippet from the post.

"Did a change to the larger file sizes induce you to make a change in your culling process also?"

I just described the process using LR that works for me.

Oct 22, 2015 at 08:51 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

Yes, that was the context of my initial question. But, your response was specifically to my follow-on question (which you directly quoted) asking for other than LR (twice actually) options. IDK, it just seems that there is little additional need to further interject the LR discussion after I've directly asked it to be removed from the discussion for consideration.

RustyBug wrote:

chez wrote:

Oct 22, 2015 at 09:01 PM
Iliah.Borg

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

RustyBug wrote:
The question is what alternatives are there to using LR for the express purposes of culling

That is exactly what our goal is in making FastRawViewer. It is designed to cull, and can also adjust exposure and white balance and set labels and ratings. All those changes are recorded as XMP files. When Lr or ACR import raw files, the starting point for white balance and exposure adjustment is where you left those in FastRawViewer. Trial is fully functional, 30 days.

Oct 22, 2015 at 09:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Culling with 50MP files ... ???

Thank you.

I'll likely download it in the next few days / week. I started looking at the website earlier today already.

Shooting Kodak DCS SLR/C now (and a ton of old files to be gone through) so I hope it has support for my dinosaur, too. ... as I consider the transition from ancient to future.

Oct 22, 2015 at 09:08 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.