Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Flash Question: Trouble with off-camera Nikon SB-700 high speed sync

bryantglopez

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash Question: Trouble with off-camera Nikon SB-700 high speed sync

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting proper fill flash exposure when using the a sb-700 off-camera. I'm using a Nikon D810. When it goes off it buzzes/flashes weakly for an extended period of time (~1 sec) but never actually adequately lights the subject regardless of camera settings or distance between flash and subject. Sometimes it works properly at shutter speeds between 1/250 to 1/1000 but most of the time it does not. Auto FP mode 1/250 is set to ON in the camera and the built in flash on the D810 is set to commander mode with the built in flash set to -- setting. Both camera and lens are set to the same group and channel setting. That nikon black flippy plastic thing is used to stop the built in flash from contributing to the subject exposure. When I change the flash output but keep the other settings the same the lighting on the subject does not change.

I've been trying different tests to figure out what may be causing it. I put fresh batteries in the flash, and I've tried different flash output settings, shutter speed settings(with ISO adjusted to keep same overall exposure), and it still doesn't work properly most of the time. If I mount the sb700 on the shoe mount it works fine however.

Below are two examples with the same exact settings and approximate flash positioning:

first one is on camera - https://www.flickr.com/gp/lazybornpet/ML896g
second one is off camera - https://www.flickr.com/gp/lazybornpet/b6443L

Exif info should be visible, not the best examples but in the first photo, auto fp worked as expected; in the second example, it flashed in the manner described above and contributed no light to the final photo. There is no ambient light with the settings used just flash.

If anyone has any input or could help resolve this it would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:19 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash Question: Trouble with off-camera Nikon SB-700 high speed sync

When your in HS with the SB700 it becomes a continuous light source in a sense it will strobe very fast unlike when you are within you regular flash sync range where it is more of a burst of one light. Using HS you are loosing a lot of your flash power so your flash must me fairly close to subject in order to get proper exposure. HOpe this helps

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:19 AM
bryantglopez

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash Question: Trouble with off-camera Nikon SB-700 high speed sync

lifthard2001 wrote:
When your in HS with the SB700 it becomes a continuous light source in a sense it will strobe very fast unlike when you are within you regular flash sync range where it is more of a burst of one light. Using HS you are loosing a lot of your flash power so your flash must me fairly close to subject in order to get proper exposure. HOpe this helps

I'm aware of how HSS works and that it is weaker, but the problem I am having is an extremely slow/weak flash burst that only happens when it is off camera. Both examples linked above have the same exact camera/flash settings and are both in HSS 1/1000 sec shutter speed, but the on camera one is a bit underexposed while the off camera one is completely black.

If I change around the flash exposure and shutter speeds sometimes it works correctly, and other times theres an audible buzz and long flash thats roughly 1 second long. It goes off well past when the exposure is finished, maybe its a sync issue when using the built in flash as a commander?

Oct 22, 2015 at 01:58 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash Question: Trouble with off-camera Nikon SB-700 high speed sync

Are you sure that you can do HSS with the in camera IR remote. I thought you needed a SC cord to be able to do HSS with the camera off shoe

Oct 22, 2015 at 03:30 PM
bryantglopez

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash Question: Trouble with off-camera Nikon SB-700 high speed sync

lifthard2001 wrote:
Are you sure that you can do HSS with the in camera IR remote. I thought you needed a SC cord to be able to do HSS with the camera off shoe

I cant find anything in the d810 or sb700 manual that says I can't, still trying to figure it out. Going to try with a sb910 as a commander or switch to two and see if it works later

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:04 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash Question: Trouble with off-camera Nikon SB-700 high speed sync

bryantglopez wrote:
I cant find anything in the d810 or sb700 manual that says I can't, still trying to figure it out. Going to try with a sb910 as a commander or switch to two and see if it works later

I was just recently having the same problem with my D810 and SB 910 and SB 700 flashes in HSS mode. Solution is that the ON CAMERA flash must be OFF even though you are using it for a transmitter. It makes sense as the on camera flash is not capable of HSS and will be limited to 1/320 sec. I have not seen this written anywhere and can lead to a lot of frustration.

Aug 10, 2017 at 05:55 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash Question: Trouble with off-camera Nikon SB-700 high speed sync

What are the setting on your SB-700? I just tried my SB-700 with my D810 and got good results up to 1/4000th. using CLS. Is there a possibility that your SB-700 is set up in SU-4 mode or anything? Your D810 sounds like it's set up correctly.

Aug 10, 2017 at 02:35 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.