New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Old Salem Master Craftsman

WalterF
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old Salem Master Craftsman

Gini and I went to Old Salem yesterday for a day trip and it was fun seeing the people dressed up in period clothing.

This shot was taken in the Single Brothers House of one of the skilled trades. This is still a used woodworking shop. They were working on a candle stand, but they had a wash stand ready for paint and a cabinet they were working on. They were beautiful pieces.

I shot this at ISO 3200 and f2.8 to try and isolate him a little. I knew the window would blow out this wasn't such a bad thing as a modern car would have ruined the feel. But I felt challenged on this image because of the highlights on the planes. I checked to see if I could recover anything but it is totally gone. Does this detract from the image too much?

The color image is my favorite but I am not sure if it is lacking something? I would have loved to use just a kiss of flash but flash is not permitted in the buildings.

The BW image is a close second favorite as I am usually more drawn to BW, but still the same misgivings about the blown highlights.

The last image is SOOC

Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated.

Walt

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:57 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old Salem Master Craftsman

First one for me, nice handling of the harsh back lit window.

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:02 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old Salem Master Craftsman

I prefer the color version as well - it's nice to see all the browns and tans that one would expect in such a shop.

Not sure if you want to keep the noise in there, but if not then a little NR is in order.

Maybe look at tightening the crop from the bottom and right a bit.

I prefer the blown window to one with a view to a vehicle - that would spoil it. The plane highlights aren't desirable, but don't ruin the shot either.

Cheers!

Jeff

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:58 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old Salem Master Craftsman

What has happened to the Universe?

I like the B&W on this one. I think the blown window holds up better in B&W for some reason.

Another nice one Walt!

"Cold hearted orb that rules the night, Removes the colours from our sight, Red is gray and yellow white, But we decide which is right. And which is an illusion?"
-Moody Blues-

Dave

Oct 21, 2015 at 01:16 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Old Salem Master Craftsman

Spit the diff ...

Oct 21, 2015 at 02:05 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Old Salem Master Craftsman

ben egbert wrote:
First one for me, nice handling of the harsh back lit window.

Thank Ben

Walt

Oct 21, 2015 at 06:56 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Old Salem Master Craftsman

beavens wrote:
I prefer the color version as well - it's nice to see all the browns and tans that one would expect in such a shop.

Not sure if you want to keep the noise in there, but if not then a little NR is in order.

Maybe look at tightening the crop from the bottom and right a bit.

I prefer the blown window to one with a view to a vehicle - that would spoil it. The plane highlights aren't desirable, but don't ruin the shot either.

Cheers!

Jeff

Jeff I used your suggestion of cropping a little off the bottom and right side, plus a touch of noise reduction.

Glad to hear that you think the highlights don't ruin the image.
---------------------------------------------

lighthound wrote:
What has happened to the Universe?

I like the B&W on this one. I think the blown window holds up better in B&W for some reason.

Another nice one Walt!

"Cold hearted orb that rules the night, Removes the colours from our sight, Red is gray and yellow white, But we decide which is right. And which is an illusion?"
-Moody Blues-

Dave

Thank you Dave, I took a little color out per Kent's suggestion you may like it better.

RustyBug wrote:
Spit the diff ...

It has a different feel to it, softer. Then again you used a little blur to help direct the eye. I like it and with the other suggestions this is the result.

Walt

Oct 21, 2015 at 07:18 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Old Salem Master Craftsman

Hope you don't mind a woodblock stamp render instead.

Oct 21, 2015 at 09:56 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Old Salem Master Craftsman

Wood burning effect is super cool, Lyle! If you tweak that part right under his face I think you've got a really neat image.

As far as the traditional shots go, I'm leaning more towards to the slightly desatted version.

Jeff

Oct 22, 2015 at 06:46 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Old Salem Master Craftsman

lylejk wrote:
Hope you don't mind a woodblock stamp render instead.

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/931/834R5K.jpg

Nice job on the rework, agree with Jeff about cleaning up in front of his face.

beavens wrote:
Wood burning effect is super cool, Lyle! If you tweak that part right under his face I think you've got a really neat image.

As far as the traditional shots go, I'm leaning more towards to the slightly desatted version.

Jeff

So many choices Jeff I am not sure which is my favorite now

Walt

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:53 AM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Old Salem Master Craftsman

Thanks for the feedback. I suppose the 5 O'Clock shadow might now work for this guy. lol

Oct 23, 2015 at 01:55 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Old Salem Master Craftsman

Nice capture Walt. Cooks up several ways that are enjoyable to consume.
While I would not have gone there, I do like Kent's desat version. The color is nice, but I tend to think monotone for this subject, classic soft sepia.
The woodcut version is awesome Lyle! Like Jeff suggested, except for the busy-ness below and to the left of the head. Can you selectively clean that up? If so, I would love to see the re-work.

Walt, a question. In MA with have Plymouth Plantation and Old Sturbridge Village with craftsman set in the 1600's and 1800's. What is the time period that Old Salem represents? I am guessing colonial years.
Scott

Oct 24, 2015 at 09:52 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Old Salem Master Craftsman

sbeme wrote:
Nice capture Walt. Cooks up several ways that are enjoyable to consume.
While I would not have gone there, I do like Kent's desat version. The color is nice, but I tend to think monotone for this subject, classic soft sepia.
The woodcut version is awesome Lyle! Like Jeff suggested, except for the busy-ness below and to the left of the head. Can you selectively clean that up? If so, I would love to see the re-work.

Walt, a question. In MA with have Plymouth Plantation and Old Sturbridge Village with craftsman set in the 1600's and 1800's. What is the time period
...Show more

Thank you Scott, you are right Old Salem is the Colonial Period.

regards
Walt

Oct 25, 2015 at 03:55 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.