Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sony A7, a6000 or Fuji xt-10? Help me decide?

Eidasythe

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7, a6000 or Fuji xt-10? Help me decide?

Hey there! I can't decide in this situation so I thought some people with some actual experience with some of this particular gear.

For some time I've been looking to buy a Sony a6000 with some solid fixed aperture (so for Sony e-mount most likely Zeiss 16-70mm f/4). I am in Canada right now and this set would cost me roughly $1600. I went to a camera shop to make an opinion on the camera body and lens in person and I really liked it. But I noticed the original a7 went down in price so much since the new a7ii arrived. It sells for $1800 with the kit lens (28-70 f/3.5 - f/5.6).

The question is: Do you have any experience with this 28-70 kit lens? Do you think I'd be better with the a6000 with the higher-class, well-built 16-70 lens or would you go for the better body (a7) with the basic kit lens? I don't consider the option of a7 with Zeiss 24-70 f/4 as at this moment I'd like to get the camera and the lens within $1800 and I also didn't hear much good about the Zeiss 24-70 f/4 anyways.

That's for Sony. Now, what about the xt-10? I've bumped into this one just lately. It's priced just between the a6000 and a7 and their lens line-up looks SO much better than Sony's (both E and FE mount). The only thing it seems to suck at is video. Which is not a big deal for me. It still can do 1080p @ 60fps and I think it would be good enough for me as I just shoot video occasionally, more on amateur level.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Edited on Oct 21, 2015 at 03:19 PM · View previous versions

Oct 21, 2015 at 01:10 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7, a6000 or Fuji xt-10? Help me decide?

Try this over in the Sony forum-- you'll get a LOT more in the way of responses. I don't have either camera, so I can't really weigh in.

Oct 21, 2015 at 04:56 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7, a6000 or Fuji xt-10? Help me decide?

Do you shoot in low light? An f4 lens on the 24MP APS-C sensor may hurt a little.

Is burst rate important to you?

Did you check out viewfinder size and placement on both models - what did you think?

Oct 21, 2015 at 07:44 AM
Eidasythe

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A7, a6000 or Fuji xt-10? Help me decide?

Paul Mo wrote:
Do you shoot in low light? An f4 lens on the 24MP APS-C sensor may hurt a little.

Is burst rate important to you?

Did you check out viewfinder size and placement on both models - what did you think?

I do shoot in low light quite often. I would be definitely getting at least 1 prime for either of the cameras. Something like 50mm 1.8. The viewfinder on the a7 was nicer. I'm still little afraid of the lens choice. The 16-70 for the a7000 looks just perfect for me. If I wanted to step-up for some better lens with the a7, I might have no choice as the 24-70 is just slightly better than the kit lens for 4 times the price.

Oct 21, 2015 at 01:55 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A7, a6000 or Fuji xt-10? Help me decide?

If resolution is never an issue then you might also consider a mint used X-T1, but with two primes - the XF 23 1.4 and XF 56 1.2. Throw a 12mm Samyang NCS in the bag and eventually get a second X-T1 body... nice kit.

Go slowly when making purchasing decisions.

What do you like to shoot?

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:58 PM
Eidasythe

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A7, a6000 or Fuji xt-10? Help me decide?

Paul Mo wrote:
If resolution is never an issue then you might also consider a mint used X-T1, but with two primes - the XF 23 1.4 and XF 56 1.2. Throw a 12mm Samyang NCS in the bag and eventually get a second X-T1 body... nice kit.

Go slowly when making purchasing decisions.

What do you like to shoot?

Do you think the x-t1 is worth the price difference? The price difference is $500 here in Canada. Also, what about the 18-55 f/2.8-4 or the 16-50 2.8 zooms? Those seems perfect too. Much better than what Sony offers. I shoot mainly street photography. The 16mp should be fine but I won't say resolution is never an issue. At least 20 would be nice.

Oct 22, 2015 at 04:23 AM
Robert Snow
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A7, a6000 or Fuji xt-10? Help me decide?

Just my opinion of course...I have gone the Sony route, the Canon route, the micro 4/3 route, and recently purchased both a Fuji X-T1 and X-T10.

I love the Fujis. Both cameras focus well, and can be configured in a myriad of ways to suit one's needs/wants...and their lenses so far are great. Of course, they are known for having great jpegs.

Now, If you shoot a lot of studio flash setups or movies, they are lacking in features. For the studio setups, one can work around their shortcomings with 3rd party stuff, which I have.

Finally, I have big clumsy hands, and find the X-T10 super easy to shoot with, and I seldom change settings accidently. The camera is light and efficient.

Is the X-T1 worth the extra? Only if you need water-proofing in my opinion, but you can find used ones for about the price of a new X-T10, so study the reviews.

Hope this helps.

bob snow

Oct 22, 2015 at 09:36 AM
dingdong

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A7, a6000 or Fuji xt-10? Help me decide?

I've shot with the X-T10, a6000 and the a7. They all handle/feel/shoot a little differently so its best to try them out in person.

The X-T10 pros: has great jpegs if you like the fuji colors, great handling, and the lens system is best I've used. Cons: expensive system, photo editing programs has more trouble processing raw files (but I almost never had to post process my photos, jpegs were great)

Bottom line: Get the X-T10 for fuji colors or if you plan to invest in lenses, camera/lens size is not small

a6000 pros: Cheapest option and still equally blazing AF (Used as my diving camera). Better postprocess raw handling . Kit lens is pancake if you are concerned about size. Cons: shutter button feels like a softer. kit lens aperture.

Bottom line: Get the a6000 for a cheap set up or for lightest weight/smallest size

a7 (I've only tested this out never owned) pros: Full frame sensor (lowlight advantage), only slightly larger body size, better raw handling for postprocessing. Cons: slower AF, louder shutter, larger heavier and slower lenses, also incomplete lens lineup.

Bottom line: Get the a7 for low light, but heaviest setup

Oct 23, 2015 at 01:09 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A7, a6000 or Fuji xt-10? Help me decide?

I'm shooting low light in clubs with a couple of XT1's and 23/1.4 and 56/1.2. Very pleased with the files up to iso 6400, print very well, malleable to process. Where Fuji X gives up something to Sony is resolution and ease of post-processing. X-trans files need a different approach, imho. Took me time but i'm quite happy with them these days, and I use LR6.

For me, the only reasons to go with the A6000 or A7 would be resolution first, then maybe size/weight/cost in the case of the A6000.

Maybe consider a used XT1 with two used lenses: 18-55/2.8-4 and the 35/1.4. Instead of the 35/1.4 you could do the 56/1.2 if you had the extra cash. Try to handle them beforehand, if possible. You may or may not get on with the analog-style controls.

Oct 23, 2015 at 01:41 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A7, a6000 or Fuji xt-10? Help me decide?

I think the low light advantage of the A7 is mostly offset by the faster X-T1 lenses. A7/A7II is not the best high-ISO FF body anyway. It is obviously not A7s or A7rII, but it also falls behind cameras like say D600 or 6D at high ISO. With sony you will need the large expensive Batis 85mm 1.8, while Fuji will give you similar DOF and low-lgiht performance with its 56mm f1.2 lens. Similarly against the Fuji 23mm 1.4 you will either have to go for the 35mm Sony f2.8 which costs about the same but will fall behind in low light and DOF, or go for the 35mm f1.4 which will then cost a lot more.

On the other hand if you prefer the Zeiss rendering or want the wide-open edge-to-edge sharpness of the 55mm 1.8 etc then the situation changes. Similarly if you need the increased resolution and higher low-ISO DR then it will again point to the A7.

Oct 23, 2015 at 02:11 PM
dingdong

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A7, a6000 or Fuji xt-10? Help me decide?

It's important to keep in mind that depth of field and ISO are compromises with low light performance. I owned the 23mm and its certainly still my favorite lens, but you can't shoot at 1.4 in all scenarios. You don't always want razor thin depth of field, especially when photographing more than one person or if you actually want the background to be in focus. Shooting at higher ISO is a compromise of grain. Shooting with a full frame sensor is a compromise of carrying extra weight and mass.

Ultimately I up/downgraded to an rx1 with the compromise of fixed focal length and slower AF. The only lens I found even more amazing than the xf 23mm is the 35mm sonnar. The rx1 is about the same/size weight or smaller the X-t10 + 23mm. While the Rx1 houses a physically larger full frame lens, it's still smaller than the 23mm interchangeable lens because recessed into the actual body. You won't ever find a smaller 35mm lens on a full frame camera. Rx1 gives you the larger sensor and better glass at the same mass/weight. The slower AF is completely adequate for landscape and people, just not cars or animals. The used street price should be dropping with the unveiling of the Rx1r m2

Oct 23, 2015 at 05:17 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.