FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · October Wedding at the Thousand Acre Farm

matsmithphotography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · October Wedding at the Thousand Acre Farm

I second shot for Danny Bostwick at the Thousand Acre Farm a few days ago. Brand new venue. Let me know what you guys think, CC welcome of course. Thanks!

Thanks for looking!

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:22 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · October Wedding at the Thousand Acre Farm

good job!

Oct 21, 2015 at 07:48 AM
MrMacgee
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · October Wedding at the Thousand Acre Farm

The wide shots are fantastic - usually, that sort of negative space makes a shot feel a little cold to me, but these are perfect. Also, #25 might be the only time I've seen lens flare used as a really good framing element

Oct 21, 2015 at 08:19 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · October Wedding at the Thousand Acre Farm

I will be using the Evan Baines method: Sustain/Improve.

1. Sustain: nice emotion, action.
Improve: Scene is a bit cluttered and framing is sort of wonky. The window takes up to much space.

2.Sustain: Framing. Nicely done here. Shows everyone clearly and is laid out nicely.
Improve. Not all that much is happening. For a blog shot it does not really do much for me. For the full set it is great and they will love it but be super selective for the blog.

3. See the above two comments. To many shots of basically the same scene.

4. Sustain. Wanting to document
Improve. This shot does not do much for me. Blob on the left side. Crooked lines, shot of his back etc.
A fine shot to take but not for the blog.

5. Sustain: you are close that is good
Improve: again weird framing, processing feels weird to me, just a snapshot. Nothing for the blog.

6. Sustain: in close again, great action, good expressions
Improve. should have something sharp... When their is no movement and nothing is sharp it feels like a missed shot.

7. Sustain: Nice light
Improve: Straightness

8. Sustain: Colors, light etc.
Improve: Nothing seems in focus

9. Sustain: Framing, colors, etc.
Improve: why are people in the shot?

10. Sustain: Framing, inclusion of details in the frame like the kid on the left. The best shot so far.
Improve: Hard to say on this shot since I am sure it happened quickly.

11. Sustain: Framing
Improve: Slightly backlit making the oranges really orange and kinda burnt.

12. Sustain: Framing, Subject placement, use of wide angle lens
Improve: Crop the crap out of the top. Perhaps center the guy...

13. Sustain: Colors, Framing
Improve: the flowers and blurry crap are really distracting.

14. Sustain: Lighting, framing, subject matter.
Improve: nothing in focus. pisses me off.

15. Sustain: Getting close
Improve: Expressions are only ok for me, You are also shooting low really close and wide which is a position that never really makes people look great.

16. Sustain: Framing, expressions
Improve: focus seems a touch off, crop it a little tighter on the ride side perhaps.

17. Sustain: Framing, Angle, etc. Nice wide angle of the wedding.
Improve: not much can be said. You did a nice job with what you had to work with.

18. Sustain: Colors, Silhouette action, blowing veil.
Improve: they need to be perfectly profile for this shot to work and for the dark areas of them to go really dark to make the silhouette pop.

19. Sustain: Angle, Framing, use of a half circle to make the focus of the scene go to them, expression.
Improve: this shot is super super orange and is really distracting from the action in the scene.

20. Sustain: Expressions, Framing
Improve: The BW conversion is wonky IMO. Takes away from the shot and the expressions etc. Also the frame is tilted a bit for no reason really. Could be cropped tighter.

21. Sustain: Framing, colors, night action
Improve: what else can be said. The dark areas are really dark but that does not bother me much.

22. Sustain: Good action, expressions
Improve: The blue is crazy and the framing is weird. Also the angle down on them is somewhat odd as well. Not bad just odd for this type of shot.

23. Sustain: Dance shots are fun.
Improve: Darks are really dark, it has a darker theme going on but their expressions do not match the super dark moody theme. It is a dance shot so ... ya

24. Sustain: Nice-ish angle, good expressions
Improve: A lot of what is going on is distracting and I am having a hard time seeing the bride and groom or actually knowing what is going on in the shot.

25. Sustain: Angle, Framing, movement
Improve: Nothing is really happening besides some people spinning sparklers...It is to blurry to tell if the bride and groom are their and the people are also super small.

Overall nicely done. I can see you are going for a documentary, storytelling approach and you are on your way.
I would clean up the processing overall. I am a HUGE stickler for BW conversions and some of these are only OK for me. A lot of shadows brought way up etc. Distracting.
The color stuff is fine but occasionally the poppy colors are distracting etc.

Documentary photography is SUPER hard. Try many different angles. Stay in close like you are, try a variety of different lenses as well. Sometimes a longer lens is great to isolate the subject from the background.
As second shooter shots these are very nice. Danny will be happy.

Oct 21, 2015 at 03:12 PM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · October Wedding at the Thousand Acre Farm

Thanks for all the input Doug! Much appreciated!

Oct 21, 2015 at 03:43 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.