Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

Archive 2015 · Still seeking advice on upgrade from 5D2 (with trip in under a month!)

charlesk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Still seeking advice on upgrade from 5D2 (with trip in under a month!)

Thanks for the further perspectives. I will keep an eye out for a deal on a 5DSr. Especially one that already has an L bracket, lol.

But if the 5D4 has ~30 MP but also has the noise and DR I saw in that 80D article, and also has GPS (I don't care if it's a battery hog, I'm tired of using an external device and having to run software for this) it is probably the camera for me in the long run.

Apr 08, 2016 at 03:31 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Still seeking advice on upgrade from 5D2 (with trip in under a month!)

charlesk wrote:
Thanks for the further perspectives. I will keep an eye out for a deal on a 5DSr. Especially one that already has an L bracket, lol.

At the price of L brackets – mine is from RRS! — that would be a good plan. Buying one of those can, uh, hack your wallet...

But if the 5D4 has ~30 MP but also has the noise and DR I saw in that 80D article, and also has GPS (I don't care if it's a battery hog, I'm tired of using an external device and having to run software for this) it is probably the camera for me in the long run.

Given how things have worked in the past, your assumptions about noise and DR comparison to the 80D is probably a good one, and it may turn out even better than that given the likelihood of relatively larger photo sites. (That's entirely speculative, of course.) As to the GPS, I wouldn't make bets one way or the other.

Dan

Apr 08, 2016 at 04:16 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Still seeking advice on upgrade from 5D2 (with trip in under a month!)

charlesk wrote:
Holy cow: http://www.dpreview.com/news/7168986570/canon-shows-dynamism-eos-80d-breaks-new-ground-for-canon-low-iso-dr

That appears to be even better than the 5DSr....

According to this, they are pretty close: http://tinyurl.com/h7ymkdd

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:39 AM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Still seeking advice on upgrade from 5D2 (with trip in under a month!)

You're right. And the 5DSr is noticeably sharper.

Thanks.

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:48 AM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Still seeking advice on upgrade from 5D2 (with trip in under a month!)

Hello all! Bumping this rather than starting a new thread.

So the 5D4 was just announced. It will be out in early Sept.

I am going on a trip mid-September that will include a week of touring and photos. I have to make a decision very soon on which of these to do:

1. Stick with my old 5D2.
2. Buy a used 5DSr.
3. Buy a new 5D4.

I really do want to upgrade (it's been 6 years) and I am torn between the 5DSr and the 5D4, and of course we don't really have full reviews of the 5D4 yet.

I'm also torn between going on a probably once-in-a-lifetime trip with an old camera, or the risk of doing so with a new one.

Any further thoughts/recommendations appreciated.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:45 AM
rustinm

p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Still seeking advice on upgrade from 5D2 (with trip in under a month!)

Once in a lifetime trip, I would make sure that I know how to use my equipment without even thinking about it or worrying am I using the new features right. I vote stick with what you know and enjoy the trip. Don't learn a new camera on a once in a lifetime trip. Only other thought is do you want a second body on the trip.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:45 AM
howard
• • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Still seeking advice on upgrade from 5D2 (with trip in under a month!)

Another vote for sticking with what you have, enjoy the trip with peace of mind and familiarity with your gear. May pick up an 80D or 70D or one of the Rebels as a backup.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:58 AM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Still seeking advice on upgrade from 5D2 (with trip in under a month!)

I think "once-in-a-lifetime" probably makes this sound better than it is. It's not that it's a dream trip, it's just that I am tacking it onto a work conference and probably won't have reason to be back in this specific area again when I travel with my wife.

Fair points on familiarity, thanks. I worry about the 5D2 breaking, but I have a 5D I use as backup. It is, however, getting a bit long in the tooth.

I am pretty confident I could get up to speed on the 5DSr pretty quickly, it's not that different a camera and the system is the same.

I guess another question is whether that camera would be "wasted" if I am taking most of my images with a 24-105L. That's my mainstay lens and I can probably only bring one short/medium and one telephoto zoom on this trip.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:28 PM
Future Man
• •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Still seeking advice on upgrade from 5D2 (with trip in under a month!)

I'm somewhat in the same spot... going to Portland, OR this weekend for 8 days with my GF. I did preorder a 5D4 but obviously won't get it until I come back home. My 5D2 will do just fine, obviously it's still an extremely capable camera.

I guess as far as 5Ds and 5D4 you need to look at the specs and decide what matters to you most. Do you need the 50 MP? do you need 4K video?

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:39 PM
Danish2006

p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Still seeking advice on upgrade from 5D2 (with trip in under a month!)

charlesk wrote:
I think "once-in-a-lifetime" probably makes this sound better than it is. It's not that it's a dream trip, it's just that I am tacking it onto a work conference and probably won't have reason to be back in this specific area again when I travel with my wife.

Fair points on familiarity, thanks. I worry about the 5D2 breaking, but I have a 5D I use as backup. It is, however, getting a bit long in the tooth.

I am pretty confident I could get up to speed on the 5DSr pretty quickly, it's not that different a camera and
...Show more

ok, so the new 5D4 is announced and may be able to get one before trip. Are there any features on that camera the you would use or need today? Aside from the 20 Mpix difference? Using the camera for what you have stated "Landscapes" - and it's too early to tell, but I would hope the 5DSr would be better for landscapes.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:41 PM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Still seeking advice on upgrade from 5D2 (with trip in under a month!)

First, I never use video, ever. lol. Just not my thing.

I am mostly a landscaper but I shoot a wide variety of things. Also, even though I "shouldn't", I often shoot handheld, especially during the day. Better high ISO performance is important for that reason, as well as for other types of shooting.

The high res and lack of AA in the 5DSr are draws. For the 5D4, hoping for lower noise and more DR, plus the built-in GPS would be nice (though not essential).

I am leaning towards a used 5DSr. I can buy it, use it, then if I later decide I want the 5D4, resell the 5DSr without losing the full "New -> Used" depreciation penalty. I also don't have only 3 days to get used to a new camera before a trip (assuming I can find a good deal relatively promptly).

Thanks for the replies, appreciated.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:48 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.