FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Arches NP Reflections

Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Arches NP Reflections

I suppose it is something I should outgrow, but I just love the symmetry that comes from reflections.

Edited on Oct 22, 2015 at 12:58 PM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:03 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Arches NP Reflections

Getting to Arches after a rain is on my bucket list, good job here.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:04 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Arches NP Reflections

Ben, it is a strange world. These images had no interest on the FM forum, but may have got me additional gallery representation. A gallery owner watched while I shot these and wants to see the printed images and my portfolio.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:40 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Arches NP Reflections

Camperjim wrote:
Ben, it is a strange world. These images had no interest on the FM forum, but may have got me additional gallery representation. A gallery owner watched while I shot these and wants to see the printed images and my portfolio.

Hey Jim,

I am not sure why you are putting down the people here in the Landscape Forum? If some guy standing next to you thought that the scene could possibly warrant a print being made and put in his gallery, and yet no one praised you on those same scenes when you posted them here? Perhaps the reality is that it was a great scene but you failed either in capture or processing of them to capture that scene in its original greatness?

Personally I would not point the finger at the Landscape Forum here, but instead do some introspection on how the scene could have been presented better? Sometimes we need to step back and ask ourselves if it's really other people's fault that they don't recognize our greatness or is it that our work is not as great as we think? It's easy sometimes to operate in a vacuum and get a wrong sense as to the level of our photography. And that's where the value of a forum like the Landscape Forum here provides, it's a great feedback mechanism, and one that should be appreciated.

And finally I will say it's odd that you deleted the 3 photos from this thread, it has the feel of being childish which I hope is not your intent.

Jim

Oct 22, 2015 at 09:33 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Arches NP Reflections

I certainly do not intend to put down anyone or the entire group of people who participate on this forum. I try to post what I feel is special and often an unusual approach. I have no doubt that those images are not highly popular on this forum. I often do get valuable feedback. I do find it interesting that I have better success with submissions to galleries and competitions.

The Landscape Forum contains a high percentage of very good images. Maybe my sense of the level of photography is not refined but I do see lots and lots of very good and exception images here. When I post an image that receives no comments, I generally delete the post in a day or two. In this case I could only delete the images, not the post. You certainly might want to delete the entire post.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:34 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Arches NP Reflections

This is the first tine seeing this thread. Where are the images?

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:23 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Arches NP Reflections

Killersnowman, sorry for the nuisance. I reposted the images. Next time I will just allow my unpopular images to fade into oblivion on page 2,

Oct 22, 2015 at 01:00 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Arches NP Reflections

The first shotnis really quite nice. The comp and processing is very nice. Would be even better in some great light

As far as this 'immature' deleting of images because they have faded to page 2... I find it very off putting. I think of a forum as a long term endeavor. People do searches for key words and find and discover posts from the past all the time. By deleting your images you have forced your post into irrelevance. This isn't 500px where after 2 days you will get zero comments or views on your images. This is a forum. So please leave your images up. They are quite nice

Oct 22, 2015 at 02:27 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Arches NP Reflections

Jim,

I personally like #1 - more like a great opportunity than the final result.
The light was good, and if I were presented with this scene, I'd turn CP just a bit further to emphasize the reflections, and maybe lower the camera almost to the ground level to have a more defined foreground and image flow.
As about the forum, it is still the way it used to be, nothing new. But it is still much better than many other photography groups in terms of providing critique and honest feedback (that's why I started posting again.) For me, this forum is not the way to get popular but a tool to grow as an artist.

Sasha.

Oct 22, 2015 at 02:32 PM
Vieux

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Arches NP Reflections

Great reflection!

Oct 22, 2015 at 02:39 PM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Arches NP Reflections

Hey Jim,

I like #1. I think a B+W conversion might even work quite well with the high contrast sky and the background. I agree if you get lower to the foreground you will have good leading lines into the background.

For #2 and #3, the background is a bit soft to my eyes, or maybe the monitor I am looking at. What was your aperture for these two shots? Where did you focus?

Oct 22, 2015 at 03:43 PM
bktools
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Arches NP Reflections

Thanks for sharing your images, Jim, and I especially like the first.

Please keep posting, the forum needs to have all kinds of perspectives and styles. Landscape photography shouldn't be a monolithic form of expression.

Bob

"Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution."

Ansel Adams

Oct 22, 2015 at 03:52 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Arches NP Reflections

I was in Arches the same time as these photos. Great clouds and lots of rain. Quite a nice change from other times I've been there. I like all of these for making good use of the ponded water. I didn't get pictures with water and you shots make me wish I had.

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:06 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Arches NP Reflections

Camperjim wrote:
Killersnowman, sorry for the nuisance. I reposted the images. Next time I will just allow my unpopular images to fade into oblivion on page 2,

Jim,

The first image is very nice.

As for your other remarks - in my case, I respond only if an image does something to me. If an image is ho-hum or awful I don't respond. In this instance there was another reason: I was temporarily off the forum (life intrudes sometimes) and did not see your thread or missed it completely.

At any rate, if an image you post does not receive a reaction and you believe it to be a strong image, I don't see why it should shake your conviction. It is a chance we all take when we post our images publicly. That's just the way it is.

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:54 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.