New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · introduction

Ballard
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · introduction

I’ve been a lurker on this forum for a couple of years except for a few postings about technical matters.

Many of the images in this forum are stunning. Consequently, I’ve been somewhat reluctant to post, feeling that I have less aesthetic sensibility than a squashed aphid. Also I’m reminded of the Ansel Adams quotation, “There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.”

Even so, like others here I am captivated by these old lenses. They’re so much more fun to use than the current crop of plastic-clad AF glass. It’s great that Nikon has chosen over the decades not to make the F-mount obsolete—even when transitioning from film to digital bodies (unlike a certain competitor).

My introduction to photography was through the technical aspects rather than the aesthetic. Shortly after college I worked as a process control chemist with RCP-2, a Kodachrome-type duplicating film. This gave me a good education in the chemistry of both B&W and color photography.

I bought my first camera at that time, a Nikkormat with a 50mm f2 H. I still have the lens some 40 years later; sadly a relative dropped the camera. Soon afterwards I started developing and printing my own B&W images. Later I printed color images for a high-end lab that catered to professional photographers and did color separations [pre-digital era] for the printing industry. Because of my chemistry background I set up their quality control system from scratch. I also did some of their copy and studio shots with a 4x5 view camera.

During the years when I was working around professional photographers I was able to acquire several of their old MF Nikkors, some of which I still have. Most of my working career has not involved photography though. I’m retired now and learning how to use the venerable old Nikkors in this new digital age.

Once I figure out how to post images, I’ll put up a few.

Oct 19, 2015 at 05:53 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · introduction

welcome to the forum. YOu maybe should have posted this in the MF thread. It is dedicated to the old Manual focus lenses and quite active. This post would fit nicely in there.

Oct 19, 2015 at 06:13 PM
Ballard
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · introduction

mysh wrote:
welcome to the forum. YOu maybe should have posted this in the MF thread. It is dedicated to the old Manual focus lenses and quite active. This post would fit nicely in there.

I tried to post there, but it ended up here. What am I doing wrong?

Oct 19, 2015 at 06:14 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · introduction

I'm really not sure. You must have hit the new topic button instead of just replying inside the thread at the bottom of the page

Oct 19, 2015 at 06:23 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.