New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · more Jasper

beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · more Jasper

Since elk led to Jasper, here are a couple of non-elk from Jasper. I can't decide whether to keep the horiz crop or go to a vertical so I made it square...

mountain goat:Mountain Goat in winter finery by Keith, on Flickr

and a bighorn ram:
Bighorn Ram by Keith, on Flickr

keith

Edited on Oct 19, 2015 at 08:48 PM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2015 at 05:04 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · more Jasper

That's a nice fuzzy goat! I looked at a couple of vertical crops and I think I like the horizontal better. Maybe try a 5:4 crop to eliminate some of the empty space on the sides?

And I'm jealous of the ram. Nice shot!

Oct 19, 2015 at 05:09 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · more Jasper

Rams were hard to find....we were told they generally don't come down until after October 1. We were told they were up on Wilcox Pass (is that where Two Jack Lake is?) but we didn't make it up there.

Thanks much,
keith

Oct 19, 2015 at 05:15 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · more Jasper

A vertical might look nice on your goat but that depends on what you have to work with.
Did you have any trouble with the white fur as far as color cast? If you did, you did a great job on it.

I like your horizontal on the big horn. Might try a slight clockwise tilt as it feels a little off. I'm not that familiar with big horns but most critters hold their heads level when looking around. I know these guys do rotate their heads when they are about to head butt so maybe that's what he was doing when you clicked.

Very nice shots Keith!

Dave

Oct 19, 2015 at 05:18 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · more Jasper

Thanks Dave. The goat is pretty much SOOC and I do have trouble with horizons so the ram's head could be tilted a bit or not. I don't think he was about to come toward me -- he seemed pretty content just grazing with two other rams. Fortunately!

keith

Oct 19, 2015 at 05:22 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · more Jasper

And here's a warning for those getting too close to elk... (with apologies for having another elk shot)...

Aggression by Keith, on Flickr

keith

Oct 19, 2015 at 05:26 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · more Jasper

I only see the second one, looks pretty good.

Ok, you must have been in the process of updating it, That first is a beauty.

Oct 19, 2015 at 08:49 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · more Jasper

Thank you Ben. Sorry about the confusion on the update.
keith

Oct 20, 2015 at 06:32 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · more Jasper

Very cool action shot Keith! Wow! I bet the seats in that car are a little soiled now.

The flying dirt kick really completes this shot. I normally wouldn't spend time on a shot like this in post but I would with this one. Maybe bring up the shadows a bit so we can see his face better.

I'm not a fan of cars and people in wildlife shots but this one is an exception for obvious reasons in my book.

Great timing and kudos for being ready with that shutter button.

On a related side note: A few years ago someone had posted a video of a photographer in Cataloochee Valley getting kicked and pushed around by a young bull. The video says he was at a safe distance but you can clearly see he wasn't and did not get up to move away. And then he kept making eye contact and turning towards the small bull. Pretty much everything you should NOT do.

I just learned this past weekend from one of the park rangers that they had to put that young bull down because of this incident.
I asked why and the ranger told me that once they become aggressive to humans they will keep building more and more confidence as to what they can do to humans and that they can dominate us and once they reach full maturity they do not play around and do it in a playful manner.

So even though it looks funny and entertaining to watch, people really need to give them their space when we enter into their living rooms. This new information will change how I behave around wildlife in the future. I was willing to take risk with my own life/safety but I'm not willing to put one of these majestic creatures in any danger. Something I had never thought about until now.

Anyhow... Very cool shot!

Dave

Oct 20, 2015 at 07:58 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · more Jasper

+1 @ there are a lot of folks who replace their brain cells with pixels.

I'm certainly one who is willing to "get the shot" ... but with wildlife ... umm, it is still wild. The NPS rules are there for both our safety and that of the animals.

Part of understanding the rules that far too many folks don't follow is not only the distance rule (which has a caveat to it), but the change in animal behavior rule.

If correct, my understanding is that we are allowed to allow an animal to come inside the distance rule ... BUT ... if that proximity includes a change in animal behavior, we are required to MOVE BACK. You are inside the animal's comfort zone ... and that is DANGEROUS.

I was in Custer State Park and saw an absolute idiot with a camera there. Bison had moved inside the "safe distance" while grazing (which is cool), but one guy continued to move closer to them even still. When he did a mother adjusted her stance to intervene between him and her calf. Idiot went even closer. Momma gave a head thrust. Idiot went closer. Momma gave a "step" and a "snort". Idiot went closer. Momma charged the idiot (only about 8 feet apart) slamming the open fencing right at his chest, just as he jumped back. While there was an grazing barrier fence between the two, it would have not stopped her if she wanted to fully destroy him.

He not only violated the approaching / distance rule, he was intentionally seeking to provoke / agitate her. The guy is lucky to be alive, but he is too ignorant to even realize it. His wife (and everyone else), however ... she understood why we had all moved back and implored him to do the same. Stupid ... and lucky. Someday, he'll just be stupid and unlucky .

BTW ... great capture of the wild side of wildlife. Kinda the other side of Dave's "KISS" shot. Dad's do what dad's do ... and protect their family, territory and interests are part of what being a stellar dad (or mom) includes. Sometimes I think that animals have a far better understanding of things than people do ... at least those who replace their brain cells with pixels.

Edited on Oct 20, 2015 at 10:32 AM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2015 at 09:30 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · more Jasper

Nice shots, Keith!

I'd like to see the goat vertical (with some neg space to the left if ya have it) to play up the hill that it's standing on. Might want to boost the exposure a hair around the face.

Really liking that ram shot! I might rotate some to level it out, but as-shot there is a neat inquisitive quality to the crop. Have you got a little more space up top? I'd look to reduce the highlights a bit on the horns and apply a mid-tone contrast boost overall.

Also a cool capture with the bull! We had a bull start to get close to a few cars while we were in the Smokeys a couple years ago and you'd be surprised at how ignorant some people are.

I am ALL about getting the shot, but damn, use some common sense!! I remember that video, Dave. That guy probably needs new underwear in addition to a new brain.

Cheers!

Jeff

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:00 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · more Jasper

Thank you very much Jeff. I think the ram is pretty much full frame, but the other tweaks are doable. That bull elk wasn't in a good mood -- two of his harem had just run off with a younger bull interloper that was hanging around the perimeter of the area :-(

Thanks,
keith

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:22 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · more Jasper

beanpkk wrote:
Thank you very much Jeff. I think the ram is pretty much full frame, but the other tweaks are doable. That bull elk wasn't in a good mood -- two of his harem had just run off with a younger bull interloper that was hanging around the perimeter of the area :-(

Thanks,
keith

Wow - no kidding! I would not be happy either if some kid came along and stole my ladies!

Jeff

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:37 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · more Jasper

I think it's in Yellowstone that there are signs all around that say "A fed bear is a dead bear", for the reasons that Dave pointed out. The same applies to other wild animals, some seemingly benign like squirrels. Someone posted on the People board a cute picture of his young daughter feeding a squirrel. WRONG! At least two responders pointed out how wrong it is to feed squirrels -- one said he saw a squirrel nearly rip someone's thumbnail off.

In Jasper after witnessing a big bull elk thrashing a tree, which they do quite often, someone described the elk as "1500 pounds of whup-a$$". We've been chuckling about that.

keith

Oct 20, 2015 at 02:46 PM
Christian H
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · more Jasper

You figure out what you can get away with over the years; keeping an eye on ears, eyes, and overall body language is important, just like with domestic horses. I assume that anything bigger than me can kill me whenever it wants to. But in terms of routine physical risk associated with wildlife photography I worry more about insect-borne disease than (usually provoked) attacks by big game. Lyme's Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Plague, etc. - those are real dangers people tend to forget about.

Oct 20, 2015 at 04:04 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.