FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Bryce: morning glow

alatoo60
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bryce: morning glow

As mentioned in my earlier post, my group got out of Subway hike well after dark. I was so tired that I was sure I will not be able to move a limb in the morning. But after soaking in Epsom salt and a good dose of ibuprofen, I managed to continue to Bryce early next morning. Was late for the sunrise, but managed to capture some beautiful glow nevertheless.

That's my favorite from that morning. As one of the comments on FB said "a candle lit by a mountain spirit."

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/635/21303350584_76bb1c5de7_o.jpg

This is my next favorite.
While hiking Fairyland loop years ago, I kept thinking that these hoodoos often look like castles, and really wanted to capture the resemblance, but the midday light was not good. This time, I was able to find this very Neuschwanstein-like formation:

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/711/21914065622_627ae7b243_o.jpg

And if you ask me where I was during sunrise (and why I did not make it to Bryce in time), here is my answer: I was still driving though Dixie NF. It was my first time in this part of the country, and I was just taking in the views and the smells.
The OCD in me really wants to straighten the trees, but I am fighting the desire

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/632/21193239163_2a0faf6077_o.jpg

C&C are most welcome.

Sasha.

Oct 19, 2015 at 02:32 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bryce: morning glow

Love that first one. I did the hike to Wall street last year and I understand that's easy compared to the Subway, so I have a feeling for the pain.

Oct 19, 2015 at 04:31 PM
WiseTioga
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bryce: morning glow

Sasha,

#1 is Great! Whats Not To Like About It? A very descriptive and appropriate title in your comments also. Did you hit Red Canyon? (Just outside Bryce a few miles). Should be a NP all on it's own. Your German Castle is a keeper as well. Good viewpoint. Only nit-pick is I think a bit closer (telephoto) shot might have added to the castle impression. Good job in any case. Always expect a great job when I see your name on a post.

Oct 19, 2015 at 09:29 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bryce: morning glow

ben egbert wrote:
Love that first one. I did the hike to Wall street last year and I understand that's easy compared to the Subway, so I have a feeling for the pain.

Thank you, Ben. It took me only a week to recover completely after Subway hike
---------------------------------------------

WiseTioga wrote:
Sasha,

#1 is Great! Whats Not To Like About It? A very descriptive and appropriate title in your comments also. Did you hit Red Canyon? (Just outside Bryce a few miles). Should be a NP all on it's own. Your German Castle is a keeper as well. Good viewpoint. Only nit-pick is I think a bit closer (telephoto) shot might have added to the castle impression. Good job in any case. Always expect a great job when I see your name on a post.

Jon,

I did stop at Red Canyon - and agree that it deserves more attention than being just a pass-through prelude to Bryce. The color of the rocks there is a bit different than in Bryce, very saturated, which makes it harder to photograph. Here is one from Red Canyon, but I don't think it pays it a justice:

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/629/21914066492_6a7bdebc8b_o.jpg

As about bringing the "castle" closer - I tried different levels of magnification (it is shot with 50-200 telezoom, so I had a lot of freedom) but this one really matched the composition I had in mind. Being too close, the resemblance with the castle is lost, it becomes just a collection of hoodoos.

Thank you for your in-depth and inspiring comments,

Sasha.

Oct 22, 2015 at 03:47 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bryce: morning glow

#1 really draws you in. Very nice.

Oct 22, 2015 at 08:44 PM
bktools
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bryce: morning glow

I really like the first image, a refreshing take at Bryce, IMHO. Good eye, Sasha, as always.

Bob

Oct 22, 2015 at 09:25 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bryce: morning glow

Yep, liking the first image. Very nice!

Oct 22, 2015 at 09:28 PM
kellyakinsart
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bryce: morning glow

Great set Sasha. #1 is terrific.

Kelly

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:51 PM
WiseTioga
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bryce: morning glow

Sasha,

Regarding your Red Canyon shot. I think that you don't give yourself enough credit. True the shot doesn't reflect the normal vivid reds that give the canyon it's name, however, the shot was taken at Sunset and you were spot-on for that. Good comp. Excellent color and exposure. The sunsets "Golden Light" is just beautiful. As long as you can come up with shots like this you have nothing to worry about.

Oct 24, 2015 at 03:35 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.