FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

mstrickland
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

Lately, I've been photographing a number of more intimate landscapes. This was captured a couple of weeks ago near Bishop, CA near the beginning of peak fall color.

Arca Swiss F-Line 8x10 | Nikkor 300mm-W f/5.6 | Fuji Velvia 50 | 2m Exposure @ f/45

Comments and critique are more than welcome.

Oct 19, 2015 at 01:16 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

Not bad. Overall decent content

Oct 19, 2015 at 04:10 PM
mstrickland
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

killersnowman wrote:
Not bad. Overall decent content

I deserved that.

Oct 19, 2015 at 04:41 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

I really like the purple, greens with touch of yellow.
I'm not sure if the grass at the bottom adds much. It's hard to tell as the web image is too large for my 27" monitor.

David

Oct 19, 2015 at 06:17 PM
mstrickland
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

dgdg wrote:
I really like the purple, greens with touch of yellow.
I'm not sure if the grass at the bottom adds much. It's hard to tell as the web image is too large for my 27" monitor.

David

Well if you click on it, it'll fit it to your screen. But thank you.

Oct 19, 2015 at 06:38 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

if i were to actually comment i would say that i love the comp with the aspens glowing out of the pine trees and the purple brush separating the golden grass. its a tough scene but i like it.

btw love the 8x10 crop. im using it alllll the time now, waaaaay better than the 4x5 crop.

Oct 19, 2015 at 07:32 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

I think I know right where this was shot. I got a very similar shot first weekend in October. Great detail and color with the 8X10. Thanks for posting.

Steve

Oct 19, 2015 at 07:58 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

mstrickland wrote:
Well if you click on it, it'll fit it to your screen. But thank you.

Well I'll be!
Thanks.
Nice photo.

David

Oct 19, 2015 at 09:39 PM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

Hey David!
Beautiful capture here! i find the bottom grass a bit overwhelming, i would consider shaving half of that...

Andrey

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:46 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

Nice image. I know the area and have also shot it LF. All the action here is in the top third, and there is a real lot of grass on the lower half. much of it could be done away with to make a stronger image. It's also hard to sharpen this type of image and that came out pretty well here tho I'd prefer less.

Oct 20, 2015 at 02:10 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

killersnowman wrote:
btw love the 8x10 crop. im using it alllll the time now, waaaaay better than the 4x5 crop.

Hate to tell you, Tyler, but a 4x5 and an 8 x 10 have the same aspect ratio or 'crop' as some folks call it.

Oct 20, 2015 at 02:13 PM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

I also like the image. The colors are wonderful. I agree with others that there is too much grass at the bottom. If the format becomes square it removes about the right amount of grass for my taste. Thanks for sharing, it is a very nice image.

Chuck

Oct 20, 2015 at 02:51 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

Its a joke. We were joking around how superior the 8x10 crop is. Just messing with Michael

Jeffrey wrote:
Hate to tell you, Tyler, but a 4x5 and an 8 x 10 have the same aspect ratio or 'crop' as some folks call it.

Oct 20, 2015 at 03:41 PM
mstrickland
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

Chuck Eklund wrote:
I also like the image. The colors are wonderful. I agree with others that there is too much grass at the bottom. If the format becomes square it removes about the right amount of grass for my taste. Thanks for sharing, it is a very nice image.

Chuck

Thanks for your feedback. I like the grass at the bottom, personally. So I'll probably keep it. But I appreciate the feedback.

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:35 AM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

Ultimately, I think the best judgement is the photographer. Good for you, for sticking to your judgement.

Chuck

Oct 24, 2015 at 01:02 PM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

I like the elements, but the composition itself doesn't work well for me at all.

The exactly equal intervals (1/3 grass, 1/3 flowers, 1/3 trees) seems very deliberate but I feel it is a mistake. Unequal intervals would make for a much stronger composition. Slightly less grass and slightly more trees would be the first thing I'd try, but depending on the shooting position really anything to break up the equal intervals would be an improvement.

The aspens being dead center horizontally on the vertical axis also doesn't work for me either. Combined with the equal vertical intervals it seems to result in a very weak composition to me.

Certainly a nice intimate scene like this probably shouldn't pull out the compositional stops to try to make something too dynamic, but in this case I feel the end result is far too static.

Oct 24, 2015 at 02:16 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

The "Brown Grass" overpowered the "Aspen Glow" IMO.

Oct 24, 2015 at 06:14 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

Love the colours...but the grass at the bottom of the image is just too much. I'd cut off all the grass and have the beautiful golden glow be the draw for the eyes.

Oct 24, 2015 at 09:05 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

Very nice, great to see LF film shots. I would crop from the bottom and make it into a square. Lose most of the grass, the rest stands on it's own well in square format I think.

f/45 seems like it would be well into diffraction - could probably shoot at f/22 and some front tilt to still retain the DOF.... just a thought.

Oct 26, 2015 at 09:10 AM
mstrickland
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Aspen Glow - Eastern Sierra Range, CA

Ed Sawyer wrote:
f/45 seems like it would be well into diffraction - could probably shoot at f/22 and some front tilt to still retain the DOF.... just a thought.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Much appreciated. Ed, this was on a 300mm lens and at f/22, the depth of field is still quite shallow, even with front tilt. This had front tilt applied and there's still a small area behind the midground that is out of focus. That's just part of shooting 8x10. At f/22, the area would be much larger. At f/64, diffraction is noticeable, but at f/45, the image is incredibly sharp - to the point where you can see dew on the grass you guys don't like so much.

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:07 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.