FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2015 · Journey to White Pocket

Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Journey to White Pocket

Nuchuga wrote:
On what camera were you able to get a 13 minute exposure?! Time lapse mode?

Nikon D810

Just a long exposure with shutter open.
One of the best low light astro cameras I have used

Oct 19, 2015 at 02:22 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Journey to White Pocket

Wow! All GREAT but my fav's are Division of Time, Geologic Destiny - Heart of Stone and Fantasyland (loved the color until I saw the B/W). For Otherworld I'm just not a fan of the low streaky black clouds but love the exposure and alignment of the MW.
Dave

Oct 19, 2015 at 04:02 PM
mysh
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Journey to White Pocket

I'm amazed people like the sky in #1. THis isn't about processing I really like his work and editing its just too much light. You loss the contrast in the sky and it just looks grainy and odd. I am just really surprised people like it.

Just to add look at the finished hubble pics. Hubble could easily pick up every spec in the sky but they don't treat them like that because the darkness gives balance to the photos.

Oct 19, 2015 at 05:58 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Journey to White Pocket

Klaus Priebe wrote:
Jack,

Thanks for your thoughts. What exactly is a natural look to the Milky Way?
Is it the standard 30 second high ISO image we have come to thinks it supposed to look like.
I agree with the extra long exposure the detail and color the Milky Way possesses is hard to believe. This is quite real and color, details are as they are in real life.
The foreground is also exactly as seen that evening.
I realize that it's a bit hard to see things differently as we get used to the same old every shot we see.
Just breaking out of the
...Show more

Since you asked…

No, it’s not the “standard 30 second high ISO image we have come to thinks it supposed to look.” But neither is it a brightly colored band of stars & nebulosity rising above a base of dimly lit rocks.

But in fairness, my perception is based on my experience of viewing the MW from various locations, none of which are White Pocket. Although I have viewed it from such dark sites as Death Valley & Glacier Point, Yosemite. At no time did I ever see it as bold & brightly colored as depicted in this image. That’s why I said it doesn’t look natural. But it’s your image, and you have every right to make it to your liking.

If that’s the way it looked, I stand corrected.

Jack

Oct 21, 2015 at 06:35 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Journey to White Pocket

Thanks again everyone!

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:21 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Journey to White Pocket

jforkner wrote:
Since you asked…

No, it’s not the “standard 30 second high ISO image we have come to thinks it supposed to look.” But neither is it a brightly colored band of stars & nebulosity rising above a base of dimly lit rocks.

But in fairness, my perception is based on my experience of viewing the MW from various locations, none of which are White Pocket. Although I have viewed it from such dark sites as Death Valley & Glacier Point, Yosemite. At no time did I ever see it as bold & brightly colored as depicted in this image. That’s why I
...Show more

Yes that is how it looked and looks. Everyone has looked at the Milky Way shots with cameras that block the true light and color of our galaxy. Check out the work of the Hubble space telescope. That is the color of our universe!
The Nikon D810 let's all that beautiful light through and captures it. One hell of an astro camera.
In reference in how you have seen the Milky Way in these locations I don't think I have nevet seen one single image that duplicates what our eye sees. If they did no one would want to look at them because our eyes are unable to see crap at night.

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:29 PM
jph1
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Journey to White Pocket

Love the black and white conversions.

Oct 22, 2015 at 09:44 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Journey to White Pocket

The milky way shot is awesome! Very nice detail in all the intricate dust lanes.

Oct 23, 2015 at 01:37 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Journey to White Pocket

Killer set as per usual, Klaus - love em!

Jeff

Oct 23, 2015 at 03:51 PM
Chuck D
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Journey to White Pocket

Klaus, it was a pleasure meeting you that day at White Pocket along with all the other amazing photographers that you mentioned. All of your White Pocket images are wonderful, but the night shot really stands out in my mind. Thanks for sharing what it felt like to experience the Milky Way in an alien landscape.

Oct 23, 2015 at 06:05 PM
Jfarmer
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Journey to White Pocket

My favorite is the last one

Oct 23, 2015 at 06:53 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Journey to White Pocket

ggreene wrote:
The milky way shot is awesome! Very nice detail in all the intricate dust lanes.

Thanks and happy you are able to see them in the shot.

Oct 23, 2015 at 09:06 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Journey to White Pocket

Thank you everyone!

Chuck D wrote:
Klaus, it was a pleasure meeting you that day at White Pocket along with all the other amazing photographers that you mentioned. All of your White Pocket images are wonderful, but the night shot really stands out in my mind. Thanks for sharing what it felt like to experience the Milky Way in an alien landscape.

Chuck,

Thanks and very nice to meet you as well. It was a great few days there with a bunch of great Photographers.
Perhaps we will cross paths again out shooting!

Oct 23, 2015 at 09:09 PM
GaryMc
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Journey to White Pocket

Klaus,
I enjoy seeing your version of reality. You have great technical skill and a good imagination. All in all, you produce very, very good images and GREAT imaginative interpretation. Kudos to you!

Oct 23, 2015 at 09:26 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Journey to White Pocket

Outstanding Photo Klaus! Really nice work, they are all good and its hard to pick a favorite in that bunch. I have only spent one night in White Pocket and I can't wait to go back some day, it was an amazing experience!

Oct 26, 2015 at 01:34 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Journey to White Pocket

Fantastic work as always Klaus. I enjoyed them all but #1 is just out of this world gob smacking good. So nice to see a different take and what a stunning interpretation it is!

Dave

Oct 26, 2015 at 02:41 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Journey to White Pocket

Klaus, they are fantastic. I especially loving #1 and the IR images. Aligning the astrotrac on an uneven surface can be nightmare. 13 minutes of exposure on astrotrac is pushing it's limits but the results are wonderful.
Harsha

Oct 26, 2015 at 04:50 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Journey to White Pocket

Klaus Priebe wrote:
Jack,

Thanks for your thoughts. What exactly is a natural look to the Milky Way?
Is it the standard 30 second high ISO image we have come to thinks it supposed to look like.
I agree with the extra long exposure the detail and color the Milky Way possesses is hard to believe. This is quite real and color, details are as they are in real life.
The foreground is also exactly as seen that evening.
I realize that it's a bit hard to see things differently as we get used to the same old every shot we see.
Just breaking out of the
...Show more

All great shots Klaus. Your Milky Way is great and to me it is not overprocessed. What many folks do not realize is that when you are using a tracking mount the camera picks up an incredible amount of detail compared to a tripod only shot. The colors in your Milky Way appear natural, it should be a lightish orange. Did you do any curves or brightness layers on this? My only suggestion would be to tone down the foreground brightness.

Oct 26, 2015 at 09:31 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Journey to White Pocket

#3 and #4 are my picks for this fab set. #3, just that slight hint of fog adds great mysticism to this place.

Jason

Oct 28, 2015 at 02:15 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Journey to White Pocket

Wow, these are really cool, Klaus. Wonderful, all of them!

Oct 28, 2015 at 07:26 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.