Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Journey to White Pocket

Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Journey to White Pocket

Congratulations to Klaus Priebe for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 23 votes - View Previous Winners

Hi folks,
Hope you all have been well. Been busy shooting this summer as I hope all of you have.
Here is a small series from my trip to WP a few weeks ago.
Had the pleasure of meeting Mark Metternich, Joseph Rossbauch and several other photographers there.
The week was full blown monsoon for the first two days and the weather did not disappoint. Storms, fog, rain a little lightning at night and the glorious Milky Way on the last couple of nights there.
Included in the series are two infrared monochrome images. I hope you all can enjoy these as well.
The Milky Way image was shot at sunset at the pocket a few minutes after sunset as the bright stars of the milky way were visible. Did a long exposure at that time with a lower ISO so I could capture the scene and guide stars in the MW.
That exposure was followed by a 13-15 minute exposures about 45 minutes later with a tacking mount and then the two exposures were blended together using my guide stars in the first exposure of WP.
The clouds seemed as a nuisance as I was exposing my long exposures but the proved to be a wonderful addition to the composition.
Hope you are all able to enjoy these

Otherworld

Fantasyland

Geologic Destiny - Heart of Stone

Fantasyland II

Division of Time

Oct 19, 2015 at 03:11 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Journey to White Pocket

wow such a great variety here. the simplicity of #3 is really striking.

Oct 19, 2015 at 03:46 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Journey to White Pocket

Nice series. What is WP?

I really like 1 but you go to far with the sky for my personal taste. It just looks grainy and weird. I know this is a personal preference type thing but i think it would look so much better with a shorter exp.
You did a great job with the foreground

Edited on Oct 19, 2015 at 10:56 PM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2015 at 05:09 AM
plateaulight
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Journey to White Pocket

OH awesome shots!. I really am attracted to the B&W. Such an awesome spot for the tone you got. I love WP.

Oct 19, 2015 at 05:15 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Journey to White Pocket

The last two are my favorites---very nice processing. The MW shot is just too over-processed, and doesn't look at all natural to me.

Jack

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:15 PM
psharvic
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Journey to White Pocket

Fine work on these, Klaus. I especially like the IRs. I also like the how you captured the cloud movement with the MW.

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:30 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Journey to White Pocket

2 for me, great work.

Oct 19, 2015 at 01:42 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Journey to White Pocket

These are all awesome Klaus!! #1 and #5 are standouts for me though. You have a great talent for lines, patterns, and texture. Well done.

Oct 19, 2015 at 02:26 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Journey to White Pocket

mysh wrote:
Nice series. What is WP?

WP = White Pocket

Oct 19, 2015 at 02:27 PM
Fstr.
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Journey to White Pocket

I just came back from White Pocket last week, what a great place. We were not blessed with clouds like the ones in your shots. I really like every one of these Klaus, but the black and whites are really nice, great work.

Oct 19, 2015 at 02:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Journey to White Pocket

Great photos. I prefer the color "Fantasyland" to the black-and-white conversion.

Oct 19, 2015 at 03:05 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Journey to White Pocket

I've seen most of these on you FB but still worth viewing again. Stellar series Klaus!

Oct 19, 2015 at 04:22 PM
Nuchuga
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Journey to White Pocket

Holy crap. That first shot is UNBELIEVABLE. Whats were the settings when it was taken?

Oct 19, 2015 at 04:58 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Journey to White Pocket

jforkner wrote:
The last two are my favorites---very nice processing. The MW shot is just too over-processed, and doesn't look at all natural to me.

Jack

Jack,

Thanks for your thoughts. What exactly is a natural look to the Milky Way?
Is it the standard 30 second high ISO image we have come to thinks it supposed to look like.
I agree with the extra long exposure the detail and color the Milky Way possesses is hard to believe. This is quite real and color, details are as they are in real life.
The foreground is also exactly as seen that evening.
I realize that it's a bit hard to see things differently as we get used to the same old every shot we see.
Just breaking out of the box.
Thanks again!

Oct 19, 2015 at 06:04 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Journey to White Pocket

Klaus, I really like the one in fog, and IR shots, especially the last one.
As about #1, I recall from the explanation on a FB that it was blended from exposures taken not only at different time but also at two different spots. So even if it is beautiful, I consider it to be a digital art rather than landscape photo.

Sasha.

Oct 19, 2015 at 06:11 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Journey to White Pocket

Great set - Love 'em all!

Oct 19, 2015 at 06:16 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Journey to White Pocket

alatoo60 wrote:
Klaus, I really like the one in fog, and IR shots, especially the last one.
As about #1, I recall from the explanation on a FB that it was blended from exposures taken not only at different time but also at two different spots. So even if it is beautiful, I consider it to be a digital art rather than landscape photo.

Sasha.

Sasha,
Indeed and thanks. The Milky Way shot was done about a hundred yards away since using my tracking mount on that rock would have been nearly impossible. I shot my guide stars on the foreground image and matched them with the Milky Way shot so in essence it was all shot at the same location. At least everything is where it was that night and is true to life.
Blending exposures? I don't think anyone here does that do they?
It is artistic for sure but isn't 90% + of the landscape images we see?
Next time I will hire a Sherpa to drag my astro setup around just to make sure its all done at exact spot lol.

Thanks and much appreciated

Oct 19, 2015 at 06:45 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Journey to White Pocket

Thanks everyone! Happy you have enjoyed these and happy so many of you are enjoying the IR work.
Very much appreciated!

Nuchuga wrote:
Holy crap. That first shot is UNBELIEVABLE. Whats were the settings when it was taken?

Thanks and it was two exposures.
The first shot with the Fg was 2 minutes at ISO 400 at F/11 if I remember right. Will have to check for sure and the Milky Way was 13 minutes at ISO 800 at F/4.5

Will check for sure later. Am on the road now.

Oct 19, 2015 at 07:05 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Journey to White Pocket

Thanks everyone! Happy you have enjoyed these and happy so many of you are enjoying the IR work.
Very much appreciated!

Nuchuga wrote:

Thanks and it was two exposures.
The first shot with the Fg was 2 minutes at ISO 400 at F/11 if I remember right. Will have to check for sure and the Milky Way was 13 minutes at ISO 800 at F/4.5

Will check for sure later. Am on the road now.

Oct 19, 2015 at 07:05 PM
Nuchuga
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Journey to White Pocket

On what camera were you able to get a 13 minute exposure?! Time lapse mode?

Oct 19, 2015 at 07:16 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password