New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Dancer

Miker2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dancer

https://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Dancers-/Macy-2015/i-JwNHBxf/1/X2/D4A_0092b-X2.jpg

Oct 18, 2015 at 09:54 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dancer

not liking the headless thing to be honest..otherwise it's a quality shot

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:07 AM
Miker2
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dancer

That is the proper form for this jump.....thanks for the comment

Oct 18, 2015 at 03:46 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dancer

Kell wrote:
not liking the headless thing to be honest..otherwise it's a quality shot

Agree. Really nice composition and well timed action shot. Needs the head in view.

Oct 18, 2015 at 03:51 PM
Miker2
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dancer

thanks again....there are different versions of this leap....for this version, this is the proper form.

Oct 18, 2015 at 04:34 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dancer

It is the proper form for the jump, but I agree with Jim. I've always disliked this jump because it's tough for the head not to disappear. Sometimes just the way the hair flies makes up for it.

But here's where I am with these types of shots when I'm out on a shoot with them. There's the dance form you have on stage, and then there's another form you use when you're dancing for photography. For me -- and that doesn't make it right other than it's right for me -- I think the form needs to be adjusted for photography. Or my angle has to change from a more traditional angle. Something.

For what it's worth, I love this shot, but I also don't like that we've lost her head. I do like her flying hair, but it doesn't quite make up for the disappearing head -- for me.

On the other hand, a professional dancer might look at this and want it printed huge on her wall.

Oct 18, 2015 at 07:06 PM
Miker2
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dancer

I posted this a few other places.....this is the only site where any one mentioned the head not showing....it is due to the low angle.

https://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Dancers-/Macy-2015/i-LLDp4q7/0/X2/D4A_0089-2-X2.jpg

https://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Dancers-/Macy-2015/i-rjSkFh4/0/X2/D4A_0994-X2.jpg

Oct 18, 2015 at 09:43 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dancer

I like them all. Great form and physique. She's a very athletic dancer. The last image seems a bit later in the leap but all are nice. I'm sure she loves them.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:03 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dancer

I shoot jumps like this all the time, with pretty much the same reaction: I can't see the dancer's face. But in this particular shot (the first one posted above), I don't think the shot suffers at all. I like this a whole lot. It's explosive, perfectly executed and timed. I love the hand positions, and everything that's important in this shot is contrasted between dark and light. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the lack of a visible face is an asset to this particular shot, rather than a drawback.

Oct 19, 2015 at 02:34 AM
longhui

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dancer

Amazing, it's beatiful enough

----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.coquegsm.com/category-accessoires-samsung-galaxy-note-5-45.html

Edited on Oct 22, 2015 at 05:00 AM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2015 at 03:06 AM
Miker2
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dancer

Thank you for each comment...very appreciated.

Thank you Steve....you get it.

Dance is funny like that...lack of a face can accentuate the form and mood...quite often.

I understand those that want more of a head in the shot....but to me anyway having or not having the head be prominent is not the point in this shot.

Oct 19, 2015 at 08:29 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dancer

I shoot jumps like this all the time, with pretty much the same reaction: I can't see the dancer's face.

I should probably explain this comment. When I "shoot jumps like this all the time", it's almost always in a dance studio setting, with younger dancers who are technically able to do this kind of jump (maybe not quite this well, though). The customers are always parents, who want to see their daughter's face. So if the dancer can't do the jump in a similar fashion to Mike's last example, that shot's pretty much a no sale. So I guess it's a good example of art vs. commerce. Mike's shot is art, mine's cheap commerce (sadly).

Oct 19, 2015 at 04:37 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dancer

Miker2 wrote:
Thank you for each comment...very appreciated.

Thank you Steve....you get it.

Dance is funny like that...lack of a face can accentuate the form and mood...quite often.

I understand those that want more of a head in the shot....but to me anyway having or not having the head be prominent is not the point in this shot.

It's not whether one "gets it" or not. It's simply a matter of taste or style being similar. Annie Liebovitz is pretty famous for her dance photography, especially from back in the 1980s, but I really dislike her dance photography. Her dance photography, I admit, I just plain don't get. I'm a huge fan of Lois Greenfield, Jordan Matter, Richard Calmes and Gene Schiavone. I'm also a huge fan of Mike Reid's dance photography, but I don't like the lines on the first and second images here, whereas I love the third.

Whether I "get it" or not doesn't really matter, IMO. I just don't care for the lines of the shot and how the head seems to disappear. That's it.

Oct 19, 2015 at 05:15 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.