New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Shinto Drummers

georgetd
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shinto Drummers

There was a festival today, I'm not sure what it was called, but it involved carrying a portable shrine around the neighborhood, and children in costume drumming on floats. This is a photo of two of the drummers. I struggled to get the frame composed because the float the children were on didn't stop moving. I didn't have much time to get things lined up.

I was considering putting this in the MA, depending on how well it's receives here. My portraiture is still evolving, and while I like this picture, there are some cropping issues, and the background is maybe a little bland.

Oct 18, 2015 at 02:38 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shinto Drummers

I was kinda hoping to see the drum(s) in the image. While I recognize the drumsticks (right name = ), I don't think they convey the message of drummers nearly as well. As to the girls, their kinda looking away so we don't get to engage them very much.

That said, some things are beyond our control, so we make the best of what is presented. I think this is one of those kinda shots.

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:18 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shinto Drummers

You have good color and clarity here. The girls are engaging to view even if not maximized for that purpose. I think the pure blue sky works well. I wish I could see the drum and the tops of the hats.

As with all unposed photography, we must accept the moment we got not the one we wished for. But that said, anyone with more luck will have the winner.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:53 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shinto Drummers

ben egbert wrote:
You have good color and clarity here. The girls are engaging to view even if not maximized for that purpose. I think the pure blue sky works well. I wish I could see the drum and the tops of the hats.

As with all unposed photography, we must accept the moment we got not the one we wished for. But that said, anyone with more luck will have the winner.

+1
Scott

Oct 18, 2015 at 04:30 PM
georgetd
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shinto Drummers

RustyBug wrote:
I was kinda hoping to see the drum(s) in the image. While I recognize the drumsticks (right name = ), I don't think they convey the message of drummers nearly as well. As to the girls, their kinda looking away so we don't get to engage them very much.

That said, some things are beyond our control, so we make the best of what is presented. I think this is one of those kinda shots.

---------------------------------------------

ben egbert wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. The drum turns out to be difficult to get in the shot. It's big, but they're on a kinda float (ok, the bed of a very small truck), and there's almost always a bar in the way or something. I'm finding these events very difficult to photograph since they're always in a very very distracting environment. You can get a good subject, but then the background tends to be distracting. Or you can get a reasonable background, and the subject is compromised.

Here are two more shots which I don't think are quite as good, but maybe give you a better idea of what's going on.

The boys drumming. The boys and girls switch every so often

The girls riding in the truck behind. The girls sure are better at looking cute.

Oct 18, 2015 at 05:45 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.