New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Google Earth Pro

sjordan93436
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Google Earth Pro

It is now free. I am a farmer. I would like to generate satellite map of my area. I can use Google Earth Pro. I can find and save a 3,000 by 4,000 pixel image, but I am having some problems. I get around using a mouse and scroll bar, but I want more precision.

I would like to generate a grid of identically zoomed images to be photomerged in PS. So Ineed to fix the scaling manually and manually move up and down. That way I can get a repeatable panorama to be printed. Call me ignorant or old school, but I do not see the resources, support, or support forums to ask the basic question.

My analysis so far is that the maximum resolution seems to be about 3 feet.

Any suggestions? I know this is out of the ordinary.

Oct 17, 2015 at 01:08 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Google Earth Pro

Calling you a farmer is like saying I still shoot with my Tower Snappy. I'll try and get a chance to look at GEP this weekend and see if it makes any sense.

Oct 17, 2015 at 01:53 PM
sjordan93436
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Google Earth Pro

Aw shucks, my favorite show is Green Acres, what a hoot. By the way, bib overalls can lots of pockets for those cute film canisters.

Thanks, Peter. You talent and work inspire me. I want to be like Peter when I grow up (or retire, whichever comes first).

Oct 18, 2015 at 04:24 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Google Earth Pro

Don't know Google Earth "Pro", but I did this once long ago with plain old Google Earth.

The trick was to stop the "tilt" that happens when you zoom in. Under Tools/Options/Navigation there is a "Do not auto tilt while zooming". Check that, then also look at View/Reset/Tilt.

Once the tilt is killed you have a nice flat view. Zoom to whatever level you want. Capture the screen, pan, capture, pan, capture, etc. Use the arrow keys to pan, not the mouse. Arrow keys keep horizontal or vertical alignment.

Of course, clean up the screen first. Hide everything possible.

Feed the screen captures to your pano program of choice.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:12 PM
sjordan93436
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Google Earth Pro

The pro version allows you to save a higher resolution image- up to 4,000 pixels on the long side. It is free now. I will check on the fix auto tilt. There is a step to fix or reset tilt and orientation. This is the wrong forum, but I have not found one better. The problem is the GEP seems to be focused on mousing around. I would like to do a repeatable panorama with reasonable and consistent overlap. For me, it is like shooting a panorama hand held versus using a tripod with markings.

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:20 AM
alvit
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Google Earth Pro

Downloaded, but it ask for a Key #

Oct 19, 2015 at 03:48 PM
sjordan93436
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Google Earth Pro

Key- GEPFREE

I just downloaded for my Mac and it seems to be okay. Maximum output is 4,800 by 3,010.

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:05 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.