Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Red Rocks of Utah - Fisher Towers

Tim Hallam
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Red Rocks of Utah - Fisher Towers

Hi everyone -

Earlier this month I took a week to explore some of the SW US for my first time. A few months prior I asked for trip advice on FM and received tons of valuable information and guidance. Thank you! However, a reoccuring tip was that I didn't enough time in one week... Boy was that true! Anyway, over all it was a fantastic experience and I'm itching to go back, especially to the Moab, UT. Area - Where this picture was taken, aprx 20 miles east of my Moab.

Rushing down the highway shortly before sunset looking for "that spot" (where ever that turned out to be...) my girlfriend found this location on her phone, not too far from where my aimless hurry had gotten us. We turned off the highway and flew up the dirt road towards Fisher Towers arriving just in the nick of time, about 10 minutes before this picture was taken. Having never been here before I didn't have a clue where I wanted to be but by sheer luck I found this cool mini tunnel in the sandstone which felt just right for the foreground so I set up my tripod and managed to catch this awesome location in the last few moments of light. An great display of SW light to end our Moab visit before heading home to Oregon the next morning -

C&C welcome and appreciated

Oh yeah - and buying a new camera and lens just before the trip was an awesome way to start things off!

Oct 17, 2015 at 08:58 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Red Rocks of Utah - Fisher Towers

Lovely image. The comp is great, you definitely stumbled into the right area.

Oct 17, 2015 at 09:42 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Red Rocks of Utah - Fisher Towers

This is one of the best Fisher Towers shots I have seen. Very nice.

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:14 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Red Rocks of Utah - Fisher Towers

I've been there a few times and have seen many photos from there, but never have seen that little arch until now. Great work.

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:44 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Red Rocks of Utah - Fisher Towers

that's an awesome shot..did you by chance use a circular polarizing filter? the reason I ask is that dark color banding in the sky in the upper right looks like what I have experienced when I use one on my WA lenses

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:55 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Red Rocks of Utah - Fisher Towers

Hey Tim,

It's fun to explore and just find spots to shoot from. Nice job by your GF. I would suggest though to bring down the saturation just a bit. The reds in Utah bleed over so easily, it's not uncommon to actually have to desaturate them. Also Kell brings up a good point on the polarizer, make sure it's evenly adjusted and not getting one area too dark in relation to the rest of the sky. The clouds help hide that though, so it's not that noticeable.

I look forward to seeing what else you discovered.

Jim

Oct 18, 2015 at 09:34 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Red Rocks of Utah - Fisher Towers

Excellent composition and image Tim

Morris

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:38 AM
Tim Hallam
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Red Rocks of Utah - Fisher Towers

killersnowman wrote:
Lovely image. The comp is great, you definitely stumbled into the right area.

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------

ben egbert wrote:
This is one of the best Fisher Towers shots I have seen. Very nice.

I appreciate that! Thank you -

stanparker wrote:
I've been there a few times and have seen many photos from there, but never have seen that little arch until now. Great work.

Thanks!

Kell wrote:
that's an awesome shot..did you by chance use a circular polarizing filter? the reason I ask is that dark color banding in the sky in the upper right looks like what I have experienced when I use one on my WA lenses

Yep - CPL was in use. I shot the same scene with the CPL adjusted differently but likes this image better. However I'm not seeing banding on my monitor. Just that the upper right corner is darker but fades into the more normal blue sky color in the rest of the shot. Thanks!

Oct 19, 2015 at 04:12 PM
Tim Hallam
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Red Rocks of Utah - Fisher Towers

JimFox wrote:
Hey Tim,

It's fun to explore and just find spots to shoot from. Nice job by your GF. I would suggest though to bring down the saturation just a bit. The reds in Utah bleed over so easily, it's not uncommon to actually have to desaturate them. Also Kell brings up a good point on the polarizer, make sure it's evenly adjusted and not getting one area too dark in relation to the rest of the sky. The clouds help hide that though, so it's not that noticeable.

I look forward to seeing what else you discovered.

Jim

Thanks Jim! I've been having a blast in post processing playing around with these desert scenes. Its very different compared to what I'm used too. I don't think I pushed the reds too dramatically in this shot so this might be a case for mild desaturation. Thanks for the pointer.

Oct 19, 2015 at 04:17 PM
Tim Hallam
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Red Rocks of Utah - Fisher Towers

morris wrote:
Excellent composition and image Tim

Morris

Thank you Morris!

Oct 19, 2015 at 04:18 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Red Rocks of Utah - Fisher Towers

Nice work Tim. I was out at Fisher Tower last fall and don't remember this foreground, nice find. While I do like the comp, your processing is not for me.

Oct 26, 2015 at 09:47 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Red Rocks of Utah - Fisher Towers

Tim, that's an interesting and unusual composition for the Fisher Towers. I like that little arch you found. As about dark banding on a sky, CP does these things to you on a wide lens, but you can fix it in PP.

I would reduce saturation and contrast a bit, even if you did not upped it in PP. On these rocks, pre-sunset red color can get just too overwhelming.

Sasha.

Oct 27, 2015 at 01:08 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.