FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Factory Butte

Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Factory Butte

My first visit to Factory Butte was back in the 70's. After a long hiatus, I have been able to visit almost yearly for the past 5 years. I have photos at sunset, sunrise, and moody images with storm clouds. Of course I also have plenty of midday high contrast images. Nothing has met my expectations for depicting this area. Today the lighting matched my expectations: subdued by clouds but with plenty of light and contrast. I also found the other missing factor....foot power. I walked a few miles and probably found 50 compositions I like. Here are two which help show the special characteristics of this place.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:38 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Factory Butte

These are both great Jim. Nice comps, great lines and textures, and I love the muted light and natural look. It's easy to make stunning pictures if the light is dramatic and colorful. These manage to be just as captivating with what most would consider much more pedestrian lighting conditions.

Heron

Oct 17, 2015 at 02:01 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Factory Butte

Loving #1, Jim, you have found the secret.

Oct 17, 2015 at 04:01 AM
cherubino
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Factory Butte

Very nice texture in the foreground in the first image! Thanks for sharing.

Oct 17, 2015 at 05:38 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Factory Butte

Hi Jim, I need to try that walking around, I always hit this spot on the way to someplace else. These are both nice but I prefer the second one.

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:12 AM
camboman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Factory Butte

I love Factory Butte - there's just something about the starkness of the landscape.

I like the first image best here - I think it has high enough contrast to also look great in B+W!

Oct 18, 2015 at 07:09 PM
BauerPower
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Factory Butte

Nice pics. Like #1 best. Looks like a place to stay away from when it is raining.

Oct 18, 2015 at 07:20 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Factory Butte

The gravel road is not bad even in the rain.

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:03 AM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Factory Butte

I like that second shot a lot. Looks really wonderful with the clouds

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:25 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Factory Butte

Jim, that looks exactly as Factory Butte You did a great job capturing all that fascinating folds and wrinkles.

Sasha.

Oct 19, 2015 at 01:29 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Factory Butte

I am going to camp there sometime, I always end up camping at the Temples or down at Calf Creek, I tried to drive the back way from here to the Temples and while it is possible in a 4WD, I will not do that drive again. I wanted to get to the west side to see if there is a sunset shot, but I think you would need to walk in. The west side road goes on the west side of those buttes behind FB.

Oct 19, 2015 at 01:51 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Factory Butte

I would love to see this from the East but the roads are not going to work for my truck camper. You might want to consider a trip in the winter. Midday with the sun near the horizon would be best shooting from the main road.

Oct 19, 2015 at 02:03 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.